Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threatened by a taximan...............

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Is it possible to complain to the carriage office as well or has the taxireg taken over their gig in its entirety :confused:

I made a complaint to the carriage office a few years back because a tosser of a taxi driver wouldnt take me from Abbey Street to the point depot (it was pi**ing rain at the time)as "the traffic is mental up there". The copper in the carriage office called me back within a week to say they had summoned the guy in and put the sh1ts up him and the guy apologised. I'd like to think thats what actually happened and he wasnt humouring me!

Keen to hear what happens next Healio. Don't sit back at let the taxi regulator sweep it under the carpet. Surely they are answerable to someone too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Healio wrote: »
    After both of us had made separate complaints, we both had to ask the "regulator" if he wanted our number for further contact in the future.

Interesting though, that to make a complaint to the regulator you are supposed to fill out the form which has the space for your contact number

Complaints Form Download

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Spook_ie wrote: »

Interesting though, that to make a complaint to the regulator you are supposed to fill out the form which has the space for your contact number

Complaints Form Download

We both rang them up separately, and asked what the procedure is. Then they said they would take the complaint over the phone or we can fill out the form.
    We only had the taximan's plate number so as far as i can see we were always losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

We both rang them up separately, and asked what the procedure is. Then they said they would take the complaint over the phone or we can fill out the form.
    We only had the taximan's plate number so as far as i can see we were always losing.

the plate number should be enough to make a complaint or it used to be when the carriage office handled taxi complaints!

as even if there are several drivers the owner is responsible foe ensuring (s)he knows which driver is using his/her vehicle at any given time.

INCIDENT REPORT/COMPLAINT FORM

The Commission for Taxi Regulation has responsibility for the investigation of complaints regarding the operation of small public service vehicles(SPSV) under Section 51 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2003. This form may be used to submit a complaint or information regarding any perceived breaches of SPSV regulations.

Notes:
    So that we may identify the individual involved, you will need to provide the licence number of either the driver or vehicle, or both. In most cases a description of the vehicle will not be sufficient for a prosecution.
    Please note that An Garda Síochána should be contacted immediately if you believe the complaint to be criminal in nature.
    A complaint which is investigated and upheld may result in the suspension or revocation of an individual’s licence to drive/operate a SPSV. It may also lead to a prosecution being brought before the courts. Once the form has been completed you will be asked to confirm that you will be willing to assist the Commission in any possible prosecution. If you are not willing to assist, the report may be held on record at the Commission.
    The Commission is registered under the Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation.
    Complainants should note that in certain circumstances some or all of the details provided in this form may be made available to other parties involved.

OTHER THAN IN CASES WHERE A DRIVER HAS FAILED TO ISSUE A RECEIPT FOR THE JOURNEY, PLEASE ATTACH TO THIS FORM A COPY OF ANY RECEIPT ISSUED IN CONNECTION WITH THIS INCIDENT. WITHOUT A RECEIPT, THE COMMISSION MAY NOT BE ABLE TO INVESTIGATE ANY COMPLAINT.

The ( not so ) small print on the complaints form.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

The ( not so ) small print on the complaints form.....

So you cant make a complaint if the taximan doesn't give you a receipt - priceless.

I rang the carriage office around 5 years ago to complain about being overcharged and I got a call back from the most uninterested Garda in Dublin around a month later. I had a plate number but they way he presented it to me, it really didn't seem worth all the hassle of following this guy for the sake of around €5.

On another occasion I warned a taxi man to slow down as he was going to miss the exit (the exit for Santry off the M1 just past Whitehall which was continuously moved around by the roadworks for around 3 years and on this occasion was located just around a sharp bend) but he ploughed on and missed it anyway. He then wanted to drive out to the next exit and charge me for the pleasure but I told him I wouldn't agree to that. He then did an illegal u-turn (only plastic bollards dividing carriageways at this time). I got him to stop at the end of our road as I didn't want the kna*ker to know where we lived) and I handed him €20 and told him that if he didn't give me €10 change I would take it from him. He gave me the €10 and all the abuse he could get out of his scumbag mouth while making his pissy little chicken **** getaway - we had a great laugh at him and it was far more satisfying than reporting him.

So you cant make a complaint if the taximan doesn't give you a receipt - priceless.

Read it again, it doesn't say that. It says that
    So that we may identify the individual involved, you will need to provide the licence number of either the driver or vehicle, or both

If the driver didn't give a receipt either then he would have been in breach of another part of the regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Read it again, it doesn't say that.

Not quite, those T&Cs do say
    WITHOUT A RECEIPT, THE COMMISSION MAY NOT BE ABLE TO INVESTIGATE ANY COMPLAINT.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

But it does say
    OTHER THAN IN CASES WHERE A DRIVER HAS FAILED TO ISSUE A RECEIPT FOR THE JOURNEY

So if he didn't give you a receipt you can still complain but if it's for charging issues it would be hard to prove them without a receipt.

parsi wrote: »
    But it does say

So if he didn't give you a receipt you can still complain but if it's for charging issues it would be hard to prove them without a receipt.

But if you complain about no receipt ( you would still have to ask me for one, as I don't see the point in giving one if you're just going to throw it away! ) at least it would kick start the ball rolling towards getting him/her compliant. You wouldn't believe some of the stories that get related to me in the cab about somethings, including people driving taxis without any meters being installed, let alone a printer! Yes I am talking Taxis not Hackneys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A few years ago a Taxi Driver demanded an extra charge/fee to issue a receipt, his logic was to get a piece of the action in return for which he would also inflate the amount paid.

I gave him two options, a free receipt for actual fare or drop me off at the nearest garda Station and I'll be happy to pay the extra cost.

No prizes for guessing which option he took.

I subsequently contacted the Carriage Office, gave them all the obvious details, but never heard back.

There are very professional Taxi Drivers, cannot say anything about Hackneys but it's the Cowboys you tend to remember.

More visibility is required on handling complaints and subsequent penalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boa-constrictor
    Read it again, it doesn't say that. It says that

It clearly says;

Looks like we need some mandatory eyesight testing. No wonder you guys are missing exits and giving receipts for the wrong amount.... its my eyes your honor.... and me back, oh yes me poor back... the whiplash from them 5 accidents I had last year... rear ended 5 times in the one year... poor me...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boa-constrictor

It clearly says;

Looks like we need some mandatory eyesight testing. No wonder you guys are missing exits and giving receipts for the wrong amount.... its my eyes your honor.... and me back, oh yes me poor back... the whiplash from them 5 accidents I had last year... rear ended 5 times in the one year... poor me...

No I think you need lessons in English It says "may not", not "will not" the reason being that so many customers when they take a taxi can't even remember if the taxi in question is connected to a radio company let alone the plate number. Hence the number of queries along the lines of "Did anyone pick up from outside such and such a place and find a set of keys / wallet / phone etc.?"

The other reason of course is that a receipt is cast iron proof of the plate number and the driver can't then say "Ah, poor customer must have misread the number, I was never in that area then" but give enough reports and as they say there isn't any smoke without fire...

Start of edit... Of course if a Taxi driver is giving you receipts with false details on, they are in breach of yet another regulation. That of having a "working" receipt printer linked to the meter. ALL Taxis for a while have to have a working receipt printer to comply with legislation, if it's not working then neither should the taxi, however as with most complaints it's up to the consumer to report them..

parsi wrote: »
    But it does say

Yeah rather like if you went to a shop with a forged €50 and they didn't spot it at the time and gave you the change and goods, rather difficult to prove, but if it was happening on a regular basis (as in constant complaints about a particular taxi ) then extra steps could be taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I rang the carriage office around 5 years ago to complain about being overcharged and I got a call back from the most uninterested Garda in Dublin around a month later. I had a plate number but they way he presented it to me, it really didn't seem worth all the hassle of following this guy for the sake of around €5.

On another occasion I warned a taxi man to slow down as he was going to miss the exit (the exit for Santry off the M1 just past Whitehall which was continuously moved around by the roadworks for around 3 years and on this occasion was located just around a sharp bend) but he ploughed on and missed it anyway. He then wanted to drive out to the next exit and charge me for the pleasure but I told him I wouldn't agree to that. He then did an illegal u-turn (only plastic bollards dividing carriageways at this time). I got him to stop at the end of our road as I didn't want the kna*ker to know where we lived) and I handed him €20 and told him that if he didn't give me €10 change I would take it from him. He gave me the €10 and all the abuse he could get out of his scumbag mouth while making his pissy little chicken **** getaway - we had a great laugh at him and it was far more satisfying than reporting him.

You make yourself sound like an idiot.

Advertisement