Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WLAN AutoConfig won't start | Windows Wireless Service won't start....

Options
  • 27-12-2007 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

OK, so I have a new Dell XPS M1330 notebook running vista home premium and an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG and I can't connect to any wireless networks...

The wireless switch is booted up in the on position. I go to windows network diagnostic and it says that I need to Start Windows Wireless Service, but this won't start and I'm simply told "Windows cannot resolve your problem".

I have found this link, http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=65995 and http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1773949&SiteID=17&wa=wsignin1.0 and have attempted this technet fix and changed the reg value from 3 to 2:
    1. regedit
    2. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ndisuio
    3. Change Start to "0x000000002 (2)"
    4. Restart

but this hasn't fixed the issue.

Similarly I have found this link regarding Zero Configuration, http://www.inf.aber.ac.uk/advisory/faq/965/#vista and have gotten the first step done but have stalled at the the service labelled WLAN AutoConfig.

In Services, the service's startup type is set to Automatic but Service status is "stopped". When I go to "Start the Service" it returns me with an error that:
    Windows could not start the WLAN AutoConfig service on Local Computer.

Error 126: The specified module could not be found.

The fact this WLAN service won't start is what I think is causing the problem, I've searched round and found nothing that can fix the issue. Any ideas or suggestions other than re-installing windows or restoring factory settings, it's getting annoying at this stage! Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is there a light to show that the wifi switch is on?
    Is the card listed OK / working in the Device Manager?
    hmmm. Is there a Dell wifi utility? Is it installed (reinstall?)? Might it be conflicting (Disable it via msconfig and test)?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

Karoma wrote: »
    Is there a light to show that the wifi switch is on?
    Is the card listed OK / working in the Device Manager?
    hmmm. Is there a Dell wifi utility? Is it installed (reinstall?)? Might it be conflicting (Disable it via msconfig and test)?

Hey Karoma, thanks very much for the response. I posted on the dell forums, here, and tried to get the Intel wireless utilities to manage the connection but have had no luck so far.

The card is listed and "working properly" in Device Manager, and has the latest driver installed now.

I don't think there's any Dell Wireless utility installed, but may be wrong about that, from scanning through MS Config I don't see anything. I could post some sort of a log if you thought it would be helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If the Dell Wireless Utility is installed, it'd be Start -> (All) Programs -> Dell Wireless.
    Similarly, it'd be Start -> (All) Programs -> Intel PROSet Wireless if it were the Intel manager installed ( I read the link - it doesn't appear to be.)

So...
    Ensure Wireless Activity Indicator Off (Dell QuickSet icon in the taskbar -> Hotkey Popups) is not checked
    Toggle the wireless switch on the laptop and see if there's any status change?

Can you post a screenshot of it trying to Find a wireless network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Doy22

You haev provided nice information in the post "WLAN AutoConfig won't start | Windows Wireless Service won't start...." I felt that all the links given in the post is very useful....

Advertisement