Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone with the AA?

Options
  • 27-12-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

I want to get some opinions on whether they are worth it. Thinking about it for my 320 coupe. I don't really drive outside dublin much, and even then I don't think I've ever been in a car that broke down.

I also know that my insurance company has breakdown cover but don't know the specifics of what they cover.

Has anyone used the AA? What are they like? Did the patrol manage to fix your car? Any problems with them? Overall is it worth it for a Dublin driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've been with the AA for years. On the few occasions I called them, they arrived promptly, were professional and got me going each time. This was in the Dublin area though, it might not be as good in rural areas where they have outsourced their service to other companies...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

IT sounds like you dont really need them as your insurance breakdown cover will cover it. IT might be worth while checking out what your insurance charges you extra for it. They might tell you its included but usually on your renewal form it gives you a break down of your policy.
    I went with the AA as they cover you and not the car which is handy if you drive different vechicles. In your case if you do decide to go with extra breakdown cover the RAC might work out cheaper as they cover the car as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Been with the AA for years, and think it's well worth it. Ok, so I haven't had to use them with my new car, as it's not a heap of abused junk, but with my poor little 16yo Suzuki that I had before this I generally had to call them out about 5 times a year - usually just because I left the lights on, or the battery had died for some other reason, but occasionally for something more serious like air filter carburettor problems. They were nearly always there within the hour, and if they weren't it was due to heavy traffic or something else outside their control.

As for the rural service, certainly on Achill Island I couldn't fault it. Couple fo friends and I had gone hiking up a mountain on a beach, came down, battery dead. I didn't even know where we were, the name of the beach or anything. Gave AA what vague directions we could. After about an hour or so got a call back from the local agent saying he'd gone where we said, and we weren't thete, so tried giving him directions again. All very comical as none of us had the faintest idea where we were. He found us about 20-30 minutes later, having gone to about 3 different beaches. Was very friendly and chatty and amused, and all round brilliant.

They've always been incredibly pleasant, and not the slightest bit snobby about being called out for something really stupid. I recommend them highly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Like those above, I've been with them for years. Due to some of the incredible POSs' I've driven over the years, I have had to call on them more than a few times. They've towed me from both Cork and Kildare, as well as sorting me out on the side of the road, and it was nearly always late in the evening and in the middle of nowhere.

I really can't recommend them enough.

Funnily enough, I found out last week that I've had breakdown cover with my insurance for years. Will still keep the AA cover, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭howareyoudoin'

Don't know about the Dublin driving bit, but I've been a member for over a year and think it's worth it for peace of mind. I've got the most basic membership which means that they won't do home start at my house, but that they will anywhere else. I drive an 00 Almera with nearly 150K on it. In general it causes me no problems and the only time I've had to call the AA was about 4 weeks ago when I had left the car a friend's place while I was away on holiers. I got back and it wouldn't start. Called the AA at 10:30 on a Sunday morning and they arrived in Donabate less than an hour later. It was only something small thankfully (and no, I hadn't been dim enough to leave lights on, so it wasn't the battery!), so they were done in about 10 minutes. And it was all covered by my membership. Brilliant. If I'd had to find a mechanic, it would have taken me ages AND probably would have cost me the value of my year's membership.

You should check out your insurance cover though...just call them and ask....they should know the details. Important questions: Do they only do on-the-road breakdowns? What costs apart from the call out do they cover? What's their average response time?

Elessar wrote: »
    I want to get some opinions on whether they are worth it. Thinking about it for my 320 coupe. I don't really drive outside dublin much, and even then I don't think I've ever been in a car that broke down.

I also know that my insurance company has breakdown cover but don't know the specifics of what they cover.

Has anyone used the AA? What are they like? Did the patrol manage to fix your car? Any problems with them? Overall is it worth it for a Dublin driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Just an after thought but you will probably find that insurance break down cover will only give you cover for getting your car towed to a garage. Where as with the AA and the likes you have a very good chance they will be able to get you going again.

They don't go as in-depth now as they use to. I remember when the dads Granada broke a clutch cable (25yrs ago) on the side of the road the AA bloke went off and got one and came back and fitted it. Where as now I presume if it involves getting under the car or spending to much time on a job they will just tow you

Cubix

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've been with them for a few years. Used then twice (in the greater Dublin area) and they were with me within the hour and was back on the road again within minutes. Reassuring especially with children in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Elessar wrote: »

I have used them and so have friends for various problems around the country (Dublin was the longest wait actually, probably traffic) , always with an AA van (not "outsourced" as mentioned above). Handy for e.g., battery dead.

It's like health insurance - you don't have to have but it's an extra safety net and isn't very expensive. Maybe if you travelled more longer distances by car it would be more advantageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

i don't think the AA are quite as likely to get you going again like the old days but they will try.

I am a member.... it covers any car you are in, not just your car.

when my classic showed signs of trouble I got them to pick it up and bring it home, as my mechanic didnt have space.
    when he had room the picked it up from home and brought it to him. no questions.

Probably worth it if you run anything tempremental or older.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would recommend them,as the poster above said it's YOU that is covered not the car. This is handy if you are in a 2nd car or a mate's car.
    I had an old VW Beetle ('94-'00) & they saved me so many times when I was driving it. Got a tow from Kilkenny to Cork, it was a Sunday late at night.
    I now have similar cover with Hibernian Breakdown Assist as part of my insurance policy, not sure what AA offers over & above this service. Another interesting point was that it was the same independent garages doing the call outs (on behalf of the AA/Hibernian).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The AA came out and towed my car when the wife put it through a wall. Saving me 120 quid towing. My friends car broke down in my drive way, they tested it as "I was in it" HA HA. It was a banjaxed battery, they got it going, saving no 2.

As an AA member you can get some discounts which are worthwhile. i.e Liverpool Thistle Hotel for next month - online 89 sterling, with AA code 79 sterling. If you are in the AA, AIG - through AA insurance gave me a discount from 507 euro down to 399 euro. Thats for a 1.6 focus in dublin, male driver full licence, female driver on prov, 6 year NCB.

You carnt go wrong lad.

Advertisement