Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions please

Options
  • 27-12-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

I know there have been plenty of these type of threads but I want some opinions.

I have been driving my parents car since early last year and passed my test in november. I now want to by my own car and have basically narrowed it down a bit to 4 cars. All have their plus and minus points so I want a few opinions from you guys.

Option 1: 02-03 Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 petrol
    + Good Drivers car
    - Poor resale value

Option 2: 02-03 Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol
    + Good Reliability
    - Fuel Economy?

Option 3: 02-04 Audi A4 1.9 TDI
    +Good resale value, Fuel Economy
    - I like the newer (more expensive) ones more :p

Option 4: 03-04 Volkswagen Golf 1.9 TDI
    +Same as Audi :)
    -Very common

I would like to get something that is under 15k including insurance which for me a 21yo male ranges for those cars from about 1400 to 2000.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

A focus is far superior to all these , plus theres plenty to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

How do you see the focus as superior?
    Whats better on them?
    I appreciate your input but can you expand on your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BFassassin wrote: »

Option 2: 02-03 Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol
    + Good Reliability
    - Fuel Economy?

The 1.4 corolla gets about 40 mpg average, what's wrong with that?
    It's better then most petrol engines.

tuxy wrote: »
    The 1.4 corolla gets about 40 mpg average, what's wrong with that?
    It's better then most petrol engines.
    I wasnt sure how good the fuel economy was on the corolla hence the question mark :). It is about the average for that type of car I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Get the vw golf. Have one myself 3dr and with a nice pair of alloys it really stands out from the rest. Iv the 1.4 16v one just passed my test too few weeks back and im only 19 and cost 980Euro to insure. Cost 2400euro last year on my 1.2 fait punto:eek:. Its not bad on petrol either

• Advertisement

Thanks Vain. Thats a very good price for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Thanks Vain. Thats a very good price for insurance.

ya was quinn i got it off

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 1.4 Golf is quite underpowered at 75bhp.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 1.4 Golf is quite underpowered at 75bhp.
    If I was going for the golf I would go for the 1.9 Diesel I think rather than a petrol version.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

All good cars taken on there individual merits,but you have quoted 2 low power petrol cars and too high powered diesel cars(i presume you are refferring to the golf diesel as you have it after the a4) i think you should sit down and decide which is more suited to your needs petrol or diesel,or simply which you like more-then narrow down your search based on that.

Off topic but how a focus is a more superior car than an A4 is beyond me,the only way that would ever happen if its was the TDCI focus against a 1.6A4 :)

• Advertisement

Thanks tossy. Yes I do actually mean the 1.9 diesel in the Golf. Ill just edit my first post again to avoid any confusion :)

How do you see the focus as superior?
    Whats better on them?
    I appreciate your input but can you expand on your answer.

The focus has a superb relability record, great build quality, handling and ride that is way better than any of the four cars you mention. A wide choice of cars due to its popularity.Its the only German family hatch that I would consider. The alfa is also a fine car. I know two people that have had gearboxes go in corollas and I don't have the space or time to list the common faults in golfs and audis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

groupb wrote: »
    The focus has a superb relability record, great build quality, handling and ride that is way better than any of the four cars you mention. A wide choice of cars due to its popularity.Its the only German family hatch that I would consider. The alfa is also a fine car. I know two people that have had gearboxes go in corollas and I don't have the space or time to list the common faults in golfs and audis.

The Focus does seem to be well built and its cheap to maintain. The 1.4 is a slug though and can be considered a city car in terms of its overtaking performance.

The Focus is not really a German hatch is it? They're also built in Spain....

The Alfa has a very poor Euro NCAP performance - the passenger compartment started to disintegrate in a 30 mph collision. I wouldn't like to be in a high speed impact in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

if it was me i would go for the corolla and i really like the trd versions of the car

i wouldnt go for the focus wel not the older ones eg 02, i've had a lot of problems with them and i needed an esso truck coming behind it was so heavy on petrol

kas & fiestas are made in Spain but I've yet to see a Spanish built focus. By the way rhd golfs are also built in South Africa & Audis are made in slovenia.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Vain wrote: »
    Get the vw golf. Have one myself 3dr and with a nice pair of alloys it really stands out from the rest
    It probably stands out because it has a 'pair of alloys'! :eek:

Put two pairs on it and it may blend in. ;):D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

LOL

Good spot wishbone ash

Lol well spotted guys :)

Is there any differences apart from looks from the 02 model and the 04 model Audi A3. I have pretty much decided on the A3 but I really like the looks of the 04 model but the 02 looks a bit meh.
    02 model
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=871263

04 model
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=847578

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Is there any differences apart from looks from the 02 model and the 04 model Audi A3. I have pretty much decided on the A3 but I really like the looks of the 04 model but the 02 looks a bit meh.

Yep, the one up to mid-03 is based on the old platform, the mid-03 onwards is the all new A3, same platform as the mk 5 Golf. A much superior platform to begin with. Good choice really, I like the new A3. The A4 is common, far too small for a "big" car and over priced. Granted the A3 is over priced a little, but you do get a more exclusive car in terms of rarity. I dislike the Mk 4 Golf. A very "meh" car to drive...

• Advertisement

So what other differences are there. Is it a completly new chassis as well as new bodywork?
    Are there any extra little things that I should look out for as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

I have the Alpha myself. i love it, but for practical reasons drive a primera diesal.
    The alpha needs good smooth roads, othwise you will have big repair bills for suspensions

Thanks theatrebuff. I have pretty much ruled out the alfa and the corolla at this stage. I want to go diesel because its pretty much the same price as petrol per litre but lasts a lot longer. Also the resale value on the germans would be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=479376

Would you not consider one of these?? I'm open to correction on this but I suspect it would be easier to sell on in years to come.

Yeah they are a very nice car alright and I agree that it could possibly be easier to sell on but im only 21 and this would be my first car. I think the A4 is more of a family car tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭enner43

It would be the golf for me. Although you are right they are everywhere. But IMHO it is the best of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Doesn't Theatrebuff mean an Alfa and not an Alpha?

Parents had 1.4 Corollas temporarily about 4 or 5 years ago. 35 mpg was the most it would do, even on dual carriageways.

I think he does mean the alfa.
    35mpg isnt great. Thats what the car im driving atm roughly gets and its not very impressive.
    I want to get the new model A3 but I would need a loan to get it and im not sure if I want to do that :)
    Decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yeah they are a very nice car alright and I agree that it could possibly be easier to sell on but im only 21 and this would be my first car. I think the A4 is more of a family car tbh.

See how much room in the back and you soon realise it's a sport saloon! A little imagination turns a dull IRL spec into a bahnstormer to die for IMO. I got my first A4 when I was 22.

http://dubaudi.com/images/gregC/pop/slide_04.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cantdecide wrote: »
    See how much room in the back and you soon realise it's a sport saloon! A little imagination turns a dull IRL spec into a bahnstormer to die for IMO. I got my first A4 when I was 22.

http://dubaudi.com/images/gregC/pop/slide_04.jpg

How little room you mean! And it's really not that sporty... unless you're talking about the newer RS4.

Advertisement