Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Yeah they are a great car. I am looking at one (a4) online and I could get it fo less than the a3 and the insurance wouldnt be too much different. Its a much better spec than the a3's as well. The only thing is the ad says it has high mileage but doesnt stat just how much.

I rang up about the 2002 Audi A4 to check the mileage and its 160,000. I know that audi diesels are one of the most reliable cars but is this just a bit too much for a car that age. It does have full service history though which is a plus. The car looks great on the carzone add. Its advertised at €13k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Would you consider a Seat Leon with the same 1.9tdi?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=872880 - 180bhp(remapped) but low mileage, not sure about VRT status, paid or not?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=785505 - doesn't state bhp but probably 110bhp minimum, and again low mileage
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=834409 - might have trouble insuring and not sure if VRT is paid or not.

Or maybe even an Ibiza?
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=780808 - been for sale a good while so might be open to offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

BFassassin wrote: »
    I rang up about the 2002 Audi A4 to check the mileage and its 160,000. I know that audi diesels are one of the most reliable cars but is this just a bit too much for a car that age. It does have full service history though which is a plus. The car looks great on the carzone add. Its advertised at €13k

160k means it's effectively at the end of it's practical life. If you wanted to own this, you would have to keep it for many years be doing very low mileage which defeats the purpouse of having a diesel in the first place considering you're still probably paying a premium price for a diesel.

I've posted elsewhere in the last day or two that when cars like these are new enough (in this case, the '01> shape) they artificially command a higher price. Ireland, for some reason never never depreciates for high mioleage (check on ROS and you quickly realise the VRT barely changes even by doubling or tripling the mileage).

In real terms, there shouldn't be any 160k, because of it's life expectancy A4, worth that kind of money so I'd avoid very high mileage ones like the plague (unless it's an absolute steal) until the new one comes out and the price drops to something realistic and viable.

Those Leons look very good.

Yeah 160k is a lot. Here is the one I was talking about http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=854962

Those Leons do look nice. Ahh so much choice lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

A well made and reliable car will be able for a lot more than 160,000 miles.
    If you look after the car i.e. don't drive it harshly, and service it on time every time a quality car will do 250,000 miles no bother. Japanese cars are well known for being well able to do more than 250,000 miles.

A diesel will do better than that. In saying all this, the OP is going to be doing a lot of driving by the sounds of things, so a car with 160k is not really an option for her.

Wrong thread I think :p
    Im a he :D
    I wont be doing to much mileage but I will still go for a diesel for better Fuel economy.

Those Leons are nice but they dont have the same presence as the A4 imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I wont be doing to much mileage but I will still go for a diesel for better Fuel economy

If you found a 160k petrol it would probably be up for something like 10k, that gives you a 3k headstart. My point is that you must offset the premium purchase price you pay for the privilege of an economical diesel engine with the fuel economy.

Most privately owned tdi cars, bought for their fuel economy will end up costing their owners more in the long run if they aren't doing high enough mileage.

It's a question of perception vs reality:D

This 160k car will only work for you, as I've already said, if you plan to keep the car for at least a few years (like 4or 5 upwards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Wrong thread I think :p
    Im a he :D

Sorry was thinking of a similar thread(not this one though)!

Runs for cover:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cantdecide wrote: »
    If you found a 160k petrol it would probably be up for something like 10k, that gives you a 3k headstart. My point is that you must offset the premium purchase price you pay for the privilege of an economical diesel engine with the fuel economy.

Most privately owned tdi cars, bought for their fuel economy will end up costing their owners more in the long run if they aren't doing high enough mileage.

It's a question of perception vs reality:D

This 160k car will only work for you, as I've already said, if you plan to keep the car for at least a few years (like 4or 5 upwards).

You're right, too many people fork out on diesels for a few mpg more. They don't realise how long it takes to actually make the difference back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement