Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw 316 Question

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well I wouldn't say it is in a bigger engined and more powerful BMW, like say a 320i or a 320d, but the entry level 3 series would have had a hard life, though that car looks mint....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Praetorian wrote: »
    http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=808327&ID=1612620&NumPics=1&Make=BMW&Model=316%20i&frmFilter=

mileage is 130,000 price at 8500 now. Is that too many miles for a BMW?

Mileage 13,000 miles / 20,921 km

???!?!?

Has this changed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a typo in that advert. The E46 316i had a 1.9 litre engine back then. Also looking at the photo the bonnet appears to be a slightly different shade of silver than the wings but that could be down to the light rather than signs of repaird accident damage.

I would not be too overly concerned with the reliability of the engine at that mileage but more interested in other components which wear out alot faster. Gearbox, brakes, suspension, clutch, etc can all wear out alot quicker than the engine and can rack up some serious money in repairs or replacements.

Has the car any service history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If someone can't do an ad properly then it is not worth the hassle of enquiring about the car. It has also increased it's price by €750 too, and I would run a mile from anyway car that is almost 7 years old with only 13,000 miles on the clock. Plus you're paying tax and fuel on a car with the power of a 1.6 but the economy and added tax and insurance of a 1.9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

2001 320i's start at 11050 with under 80,000 miles ( km ) better choice imo.

besides anything under 320i isnt worth bothering with imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Dont think that picture is the actual car for sale, looks like the seller just picked one from a dealers ad. That car has BMW approved plates meaning it's a dealer listing, also looks like it has leather seats which are not mentioned in the private sale add.
    As mentioned before service history is the key when buying a high miler, plenty of receipts not just a stamped book.
    Also ad is poor, no listing of equipment or features just generic "first to see will buy" I'd be asking for a lot more detail and pictures, interior and exterior, if I was going to travel to see that car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Well if the car really has 13.000 miles even the fact this is a smallish engine, I would recommend you to go for it. This is not a bad engine anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

I have had bmw's for the last 20 years. you can keep them going forever. High milage is no problem once the car has been serviced regular. the six cylinder models had a big problem with head gaskets. couple of years ago some mag did a test they drove an old 320 with hight milage round the world, then they stripped the engine and found there was still loads of metal left. the secret is to change the oil regular and use a bmw oil filter. great cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

lm7 wrote: »
    I have had bmw's for the last 20 years. you can keep them going forever. High milage is no problem once the car has been serviced regular. the six cylinder models had a big problem with head gaskets. couple of years ago some mag did a test they drove an old 320 with hight milage round the world, then they stripped the engine and found there was still loads of metal left. the secret is to change the oil regular and use a bmw oil filter. great cars.

Well most bimmers need a new head gasket after a while, 4 Cyl. included.
    It is recommended to change the water pump and other cooling parts after 150k, if they haven't died before :-)
    On my E36 I had to change the head gasket, water pump, radiator and a few other things as well because they were dead, a very common issue on bimmers that hit over 150k.

Still, they are cool cars :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I drove the similar 318 recently. Pig. No power, and pedals are on top of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The guy did make mistakes with the ad. It defo has 130 K miles on it. It is an Irish Reg and the price has dropped by 750 not gone up by 750. Seems like too many miles, and it would really seem slow having come from an 02 Impreza WRX :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

JHMEG wrote: »
    I drove the similar 318 recently. Pig. No power, and pedals are on top of each other.

Unless the car has had a smack, the pedals are perfectly spaced and any 3 series I've owned or driven.

Maybe you have abnormally large feet?

kdevitt wrote: »
    Unless the car has had a smack, the pedals are perfectly spaced and any 3 series I've owned or driven.
    Size 8. My boots were scraping off each of each other when clutching and breaking. Really annoying.. last car that happened to me in was the Opel Corsa. At least the steering column didn't scrape the top of my left boot, as it did in the Corsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Its a complaint I have read about many times in magazines about beemers. I only feel comfortable at the pedals in thin soled, compact shoes. I find it cramped if I am wearing wellys and the like. It allows heal and toeing at least. My brother wears slippers when driving his E30! When he arrives to work, the safety shoes are ready and waiting in the passenger footwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Heel and Toeing... FFS, that was devised for front wheel drive cars... ala 1960's Monte Carlo Minis...

The 3 series has damn near perfect ergonomics. Go drive a VW Golf/Passat and get used to the radio being at shin level... and the heater controls even lower... not to mention the dash being reflected onto the windshield...

If your size 8's (small) can't handle the 3 Series pedal layout then with all due respect I'd suggest you focus on your coordination abilities...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Oilrig wrote: »
    Heel and Toeing... FFS, that was devised for front wheel drive cars... ala 1960's Monte Carlo Minis...

You are thinking of left foot braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Where has this thread gone I'm lost and drunk at the same time. I've driven lots of 3 series just fine, no accidents hitting wrong pedals ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I've driven lots of 3 series just fine, no accidents hitting wrong pedals

Nearly one with my mom driving my auto beemer .. brake does not = clutch ... accelerator does not = brake :p

Oilrig wrote: »
    The 3 series has damn near perfect ergonomics.
    No it doesn't. The pedals are too close together -- I'm not the only one who says this. There are better cars ergonomically out there. The Avensis for example.

Advertisement