Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom Go 720 - SMS Options greyed out..

• 27-12-2007 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a new TT Go 720 for XMAS and the device in itself works great. (Having problems with upgrading the Unit, but that will be a seperate Thread).

But I have the problem that it won't notify me about or read new messages. It connects without problems to my Nokia Mobiles, displays incoming calls, copies my phonebook etc, but it won't inform me about SMS.

The Options "Read Inbox Messages" and "Read Outbox Messages" below "Read/Write Messages" are greyed out.

I have tried it with a Nokia 6270 and 6300, and it is the same for both of them. Unfortunately I currently can't check the TomTom website (unresponsive like hell today), but last time I checked it showed both mobiles as fully supported.

Do I have to activate something?

Cheers,
    DubDani

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Same here I have a tomtom 520 and a nokia 95 and its all gray to what gives with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Nokia phones don't work with it.

Are you sure before I go back with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

The SMS option is really an afterthought that doesnt work with most phones at the moment. Don't know if the store will take it back just because it doesn't allow SMS's, There is nothing wrong with the unit and as it has been opened they won't be able to resell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Razr V3 works with GO910. If I get a message from "Claire", the voice tells me it's from "Clay"

Re Garmin, Nokia 5200 isn't even on the compatibility checking list! Daughter was a bit miffed when her new 670TFM wouldn't read the messages out! Her idea was to get a new phone that was compatible, not take the Garmin back to the shop (or even send, as it came from Pixmania).

As the compatibility checking option is available for both providers, the shop could say that this should have been checked first, so wouldn't consider a refund.

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

testicle wrote: »
    Nokia phones don't work with it.

Just got my 720 from dabs.ie (delayed over the crimbo). I have found that the wife's Nokia 6230i works fine for incoming and outgoing texts but my old 6310i only works for outgoing texts (incoming is greyed out).

Big issue is that the microphone on hands-free is rubbish quality. Constant noise in the background reported when I call anyone using either of the two Nokia phones or a Motorola L6. I can hear the other side ok, but they can't hear me:mad: Anyone else with this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, my girlfriend reported that she finds it hard to hear me when I'm using the TomTom for hands free. I could hear her fine. So the mic doesn't seem to be the best.

OP, SMS functionality works great with my Sony Ericsson V600. I noticed that when I was setting up my Mothers GO 520 over the weekend that hers SMS option was greyed out - turned out that her old Sharp phone doesn't support the functionality (or the address book importing), whereas with the Sony Ericsson, everything works. I never tried it with a Nokia.

The TomTom website lists the GO 720 as supporting the Nokia 6270 for hands free calling, send SMS, Contact list but not Recieve SMS. Make sure you've updated the software on your TT to the latest version.

I wouldn't agree with DJ Hafez above that the SMS functionality is an "afterthought". It's may be that some phone manufacturers don't implement the protocols correctly. Like I say, it works perfectly with the SE phones I've tried it with.

Hi
    Make sure you've updated the software on your TT to the latest version.

How do I do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    Make sure you've updated the software on your TT to the latest version.

How do I do that
    You need to download an application called TomTom Home (version 2) from the tomtom.com website. Once installed on your PC, you can connect your tomtom via the USB cable. It recognises the tomtom and updates the software automatically. This works for new(ish) tomtoms. Read the info on the tomtom website carefully, backup all the info off your tomtom to PC before updating anything. Don't attempt this if you are at all unsure of what you are doing;)

Advertisement