Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 98

• 27-12-2007 4:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭

Just had a call from someone using Windows 98. Who still uses it, or 95, never mind 3.1 **shudder**

Sure, DOS is still used for server stuff, but 98? The OS is nearly 10 years old, but imagine the hardware? Must be near breaking point! Or, in this customers case, it probably is:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

the_syco wrote: »
    DOS is still used for server stuff(

Hu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i still have a 98 box here, sure it doesn't get much use but it's grand for internet/email.

it would easily handle 2k/xp but i don't use it that often to warrant getting a license for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I have an old toughbook running 98SE. It's used for car diagnostics. I Could run 2k, but its too bloated by comparison. No issues doing simple tasks such as wireless internet, word processing etc etc. Does what it says on the tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

There's an old Sony win98 laptop at home as well, must be about 8 years old at this stage, and has been used solidly the whole time by a few different users.

It still works fine for DVDs, music files, internet etc. Never had a problem with it, all hardware is original.

Didn't even have virus protection for most of it's life, and never had a single problem. Did a full sweep for malware recently and came up clean...:confused:

It's not even a recent install, i'd love to do a fresh one but can't find one of the discs. But even as is, it's running grand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah I'd worry about the hard drive too,
    But unlike NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista/2008 you know that when you put a windows 98 hard drive in another computer it will almost certainly boot up and go through the whole "found new hardware" dance.
    And it's far easier to clone,.

For a lot of light off-line usage it's fine. And if you use 98lite you can remove most of IE too.

If you want to go on line, have a look at puppylinux it's got a similar look and feel to 98 and runs on similar hardware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Still running 98se on a few machines at work in non critical areas. No problems at all on 7year old pcs. Really robust and networks well with XP. No support for them at this stage and won't run new space hungry software but we will run them into the ground. Paid for themselves at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Plenty of windows 98 machines around and all the ones I have come across all work great still. And if not, a quick clean up of the HD solves all that. Is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

I came across a Windows 3.11 for WG a few months ago. farily basic OS !! it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

windows 98 was probabaly my favourite windows OS and i would use it over certain newer windows OSes any day

well I think that XP is the most stable to date Far better then Windows 2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Give me Windows 1.01 any day of the week ! Low memory usage and worked on a 286 !!

Ah the memories . . .

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I only upgraded a few months back, the only reason I did was my PC was running at the max and still not fast enough, so new PC meant new OS.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I hate Vista so much I'm thinking downgrading to Windows98. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I install wireless broadband and regularly come across windows 98, most people dont even realise they haven't got a network card.

how about Windows BOB!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

best-funny-pictures_windows-98.jpg

Advertisement