Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pair gained line

Options
  • 27-12-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm fairly sure we have a pair gained line at home, does anyone know if it is possible to get Eircom to replace it so that it isn't split?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

You could try complaining to eircom and cc emails to comreg, as well as matt cooper or pat kenny or some such radio show which has dealt with the broadband issue before.

One rather successful approach from what I've seen is becoming friendly with your local linesman or getting someone you know in eircom to do something about it. Give them a few bob for their troubles or suchlike.

At a last resort, you could wait for someone or something to physically damage the pairgain. Pairgains are easily damaged by mains electricity etc., being shot at, and of course being actually removed or its wires cut. Eircom would then come out to fix the 2 lines affected. Speak to the linesman when he arrives to see if you can be put on your own pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

it might be easier just to try ordering broadband - eircom apparently will in many cases try to move you off the carrier and swap it with someone who has not ordered BB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The lads in the vans are the best bet for situations like that, they will take an order if the line is pairgained and try getting something sorted .

The eircom call centre and online systems will not accept an order UNLESS the line passes or amber passes the line test , which it can't becuase its pairgained.

Thats unless there is some 'magic word' that will get the order in through the call centre .

Comreg are as much use as a chocolate teapot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

limpdd wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm fairly sure we have a pair gained line at home, does anyone know if it is possible to get Eircom to replace it so that it isn't split?

Does the old dodge of ordering ISDN (which needs a non pair gained line), then cancelling it & upgrading to broadband afterwards still work??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sometimes that works but generally not any more .

They usually refuse ISDN orders when the line is pairgained . I recommend an online order as the best way to try it on :p

eircom sends out engineers to do maintenance and repairs more readily just after an exchange is upgraded so thats when you should strike !!!

locating an engineer working in the local exchange and having a chat with them about your situation is often the best way to get things sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement