Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unanswered questions

• 27-12-2007 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

OK here are a few things I wonder if anyone can answer:

1) Why was Oil Of Ulay changed to Olay?
    2) What IS a Ulay/Olay?
    3) Why was Jif renamed Cif?
    4) Why were Opal Fruits renamed Starbursts?
    5) Why were Marathons renamed Snickers?
    6) Why do we sing "Rock a bye baby" to lull our little ones to sleep when the song is about putting your baby in a tree and letting the wind crash the cradle to the ground?
    7) Why do sleeping pills have warning labels that state :'Caution: May Cause Drowsiness?
    8) Why is it written "May contain traces of nuts" on bags of peanuts ?
    9) Why does it say 'wet hair' on shampoo bottles ?

Now this was actually on a barrel of Bitburger lager I bought:

The surgeon general has determined that women should not drink alcohol during pregnancy as it can cause birth defects.
    Drinking alcohol can affect your ability to drive or operate machinery & cause drowsiness. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wow. Profound. You should totally paste this into an email and send it to everyone you know. Call it something like "fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd:Life's unanswerable questions that keep us humble in this world of Google which I refuse to ****ing use"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Most of the answers can be found on Wiki, for example;
    Starburst were introduced by Mars in 1960[1] as Opal Fruits. The four original flavors were strawberry, lemon, orange, and lime. Opal Fruits were introduced in the United States in 1976[1] as Starburst. Though Starburst originally came in the same flavors as Opal Fruits, Cherry replaced Lime in the early 1980s; and the first variant, "Sunshine Flavors" Later renamed "Tropical Opal Fruits", was released. In Europe, lemon and lime were combined to become "lemon and lime" and to make room for a blackcurrant flavor. The brand Opal Fruits was phased out in the UK, followed by Ireland in 1998 in order to standardize the product in a globalized marketplace, though some lament the loss of brand identity, leaving many people in the UK still referring to Starburst as Opal Fruits despite the name change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

1) Why was Oil Of Ulay changed to Olay?
    2) What IS a Ulay/Olay?
    God bless Google. The name was changed after the company that owned Olay/Ulay was bought by P&G. They decided that a single name would suffice and changed almost everyone to Olay. Ulay was used in the UK & Ireland originally because it sounds better than Olay. Olay is play on the name of one of the ingredients in the oil.
    1. EU Branding
    2. Because that name was more popular as a lemon juice.
    4) Why were Opal Fruits renamed Starbursts?
    5) Why were Marathons renamed Snickers?
    Again, international branding.
    6) Why do we sing "Rock a bye baby" to lull our little ones to sleep when the song is about putting your baby in a tree and letting the wind crash the cradle to the ground?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-a-bye_Baby
    7) Why do sleeping pills have warning labels that state :'Caution: May Cause Drowsiness?
    Because people are idiots and solicitors have companies ****ting themselves.
    9) Why does it say 'wet hair' on shampoo bottles ?
    Some shampoo is "dry hair", i.e. you don't run your hair under the tap before applying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

people like you are the reason I refuse to join myspace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Bitburger is yummy!

1-5 = Global Standardisation.
    7-8 = Stupid people that sue corporations if they burn their mouth on hot coffee or die from eating nuts when they know they have a nut allergy.
    9 = Yore ma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

DJ_Spider wrote: »

Because of Americans.

See above.

Gordon wrote: »
    Bitburger is yummy!

Correct, although much better on tap than in bottles (and for some reason the .5l bottles don't seem to taste as nice as the 33cl :confused: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

FruitLover wrote: »
    Correct, although much better on tap than in bottles
    Oh yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

You know how some plastic bags have warnings about how a child can suffocate in it?

Well I saw one once with a series of illustrations showing how a child would suffocate in the bag... It was almost like reading a step by step guide on how to murder a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have a few storage tubs (plastic ones) that have something similar to this on the side. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

phasers wrote: »
    people like you are the reason I refuse to join myspace

there also the same people that forward chain mails!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

monkeyfudge: did you follow through? o.0

Wilburt wrote: »
    monkeyfudge: did you follow through? o.0

No I didn't... and that child grew up to become the lead singer of the band INXS... I wonder what ever became of him in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

boosh quote?
    i think like so many other things your answer is in the form of a wikipedia page :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INXS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Kold wrote: »
    Wow. Profound. You should totally paste this into an email and send it to everyone you know. Call it something like "fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd:Life's unanswerable questions that keep us humble in this world of Google which I refuse to ****ing use"
    Kold: where is the love?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Dudess wrote: »
    Kold: where is the love?

in fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd:i love you

(May contain virus. As all expressions of love do. You filthy bastards.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Well I saw one once with a series of illustrations showing how a child would suffocate in the bag... It was almost like reading a step by step guide on how to murder a child.

Hmm, practical and educational!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Poor old DJ Spiral..always shot down.

I mean Spider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

delah wrote: »
    Poor old DJ Spiral..always shot down.

I mean Spider.

And theres another unaswered mystery, why was DJ Spiral not a success?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

my question is " wheres me jumpa?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

And theres another unaswered mystery, why was DJ Spiral not a success?
    because he got caught by the special branch on his way to blanch'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

What are opal fruits made out of? It just occured to me that they bear no resemblance to any other food in existance.

....okay, okay, chewits, but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

In relation to Q.6: Lullabies were less to soothe children (as children weren't recognised as being really different to adults except in stature until Victorian times) than to ward off evil or danger. Old lullabies supposedly all have an element of menace in them in order to make it sound unfavourable to changelings or demonic forces to possess or displace a human child. Apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Why does Bottled water that has been in the ground for 800 years have a best before date?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

because it's stored in plastic, and anything that stored in a container will have a best before date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Why do some people act the way they do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Why does sour cream have a sell by date? Ok I'll shut up now. I just thought would make the stale time between xmas & new year a bit interesting. It worked sort of, made some people google my questions! LOL

You and Andyie.general are lovers...I'm sure of it.

Nope I think he has had an adverse effect on me, I'm turning into him!

Nope I think he has had an adverse effect on me, I'm turning into him!

God help ya man!:D

• Advertisement

I know must book into the priory for rehab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Why do some people act the way they do?

Because if they didn't act the way they did, they wouldn't be acting the way they did.
    Oh great, I tied my brain in a knot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

How come you can buy a can and a bottle of practically anything(Coke,orange,7up, lucozade, etc)..but you can only buy water in a bottle and not in a can?!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Maybe thread title should be edited to "Answered questions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    How come you can buy a can and a bottle of practically anything(Coke,orange,7up, lucozade, etc)..but you can only buy water in a bottle and not in a can?!!:confused:
    Try it. The water takes on a distinctly tinnish taste. Soft drinks have a strong flavour to mask this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

tech77 wrote: »
    Maybe thread title should be edited to "Answered questions"

or just "Stupid Questions i haven't searched the internet for answers to"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Why is The Redemption Song, sang by one of the actors in The Beach, not on The Beach Soundtrack?

^^ maybe it wasnt good enough;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

No I didn't... and that child grew up to become the lead singer of the band INXS... I wonder what ever became of him in the end?

you are a bad but funny man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

emo!! wrote: »
    ^^ maybe it wasnt good enough;)

It was absolutely brilliant! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

I thought Jif was renamed Cif because they cant pronounce Jif on the continent.

• Advertisement

^^^ thats what i thought, also heard it a curse in that country and thats why they changed it:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I heard they changed it because jif said backwards ten times in front of a mirror summons dead spirits. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

cos they started selling it in a different country where they couldn't pronounce jif so it was renamed cif! :)

Why is your bottom called a bottom when it is, in fact, not in the bottom but in the middle?

Wow, that hurt my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

why dont trucks ever stop in films? someone loses control of their beebee, or falls into the road or some other manner of disaster, and all the trucks ever do is keep the foot down and blow the horn. nyyeeeeeoooooooooooooooooohhhmmmm phew close one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

pid() wrote: »
    Why is The Redemption Song, sang by one of the actors in The Beach, not on The Beach Soundtrack?

$
    longshanks wrote: »
    why dont trucks ever stop in films? someone loses control of their beebee, or falls into the road or some other manner of disaster, and all the trucks ever do is keep the foot down and blow the horn. nyyeeeeeoooooooooooooooooohhhmmmm phew close one

Deadlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What's the deal with airplane peanuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Yet Monkeyfudge dosnt come with a warning. The Mind Boggles

My nuts are all shriveled and harmless... don't worry.

Don't go near Lizardfudge's nuts though... they contain venom.

Advertisement