Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill classification in Ireland

Options
  • 27-12-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to do the Tour of Flanders sportive in April of this year - it consists of 18 hills ranging in distance for 250m to 850m in length but gradients are from 11 to 20% and their steepest section. Does anyone know of hills in Ireland that have 20% gradients? I would like to try out some in training.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 animal

Fair play to you Michael. You're in for a treat. There were a few lads from Orwell Wheelers went this year and theres a link to the report here:
    http://www.orwellwheelers.org/tour_reports.html

I have never done it myself but I have done a few races on those belgian roads. They are mostly short and really really steep. What makes them worse is many of them are cobbled. If it's wet you're really in for a treat.

Where are you based? There are a fair few climbs around the place that are reasonably similar - but none that are cobbled that im aware of.
    If you're in Dublin the likes of Knockmaroon hill in Chapelizod would be similar (mind the traffic).
    There quieter alternatives down the Strawberry beds - Somerton lane which is down the side of the Castleknock Hotel is pretty steep and not too unlike. At the start of your training you may think getting up them is an achievement. After a bit of practice you can look forward to power training up them sitting in the saddle in the big ring. then you'll know you're on form!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 animal

Just to clarify - I dont think those hills would be up to 20%. I'd guess that they are around the 12-15% mark.

The steepest hills in the country would be - in no particular order!
    The Mamore Gap in Donegal
    St. Patricks Hill in Cork
    Coonaneaspig (not sure about spelling!) Down near Valentia Island in Kerry. - A crackin spot for a cycling Holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

In Howth village, go right at the church for the back way to Howth summit. The first part is pretty steep and has a couple of twists. No cobbles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

the road (tarred) from the 9 stones to the transmitter at mt leinster (co carlow) is 2.4 km @ 15%

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Thanks for the help and advice lads, I have to say after reading the account on the Orwell Wheelers website I'm nervous already as I'm far from an ideal candidate for this type of cycle but I suppose it is that very fact that is motivating me to do some proper training.

As a matter of interest while continuing to research the topic of hill gradients I came across this rather crude but quite effective device to measure the gradient of a hill:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~lucasp/bike-grade.html

I tried it today and reckon it is quite accurate.
    For the record the hill I used it on (known as the "Step") is beside the village of the Silvermines about 6 miles from Nenagh in Tipp It is regarded locally as the steepest and toughest climb in the area - according to my scale(!) it comes very close to 20% in parts and is almost 2k long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement