Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL, Outlook 07 & Gmail IMAP

Options
  • 27-12-2007 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some help with my imap set up, basically had things set up for my gmail e-mail IMAP in my parents house. Messages were downloading to Outlook 2007 fine and no bothers with access.

I returned home where I have NTL broadband and there is a problem connecting to my mailbox via Outlook, the following is the message:

a connection to the server could not be established imap.gmail is now in offline mode

I can access my e-mail on the web? Double checked all settings. Uninstalled outlook & reinstalled, did updates and nothing seems to make this work? I am thinking this is to do with NTL? Anyone have any ideas or similar problems.

Thanks,

Skeff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Anyone have any ideas on this one? Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't use outlook but going from the message it sounds like outlook is in some sort of off-line mode? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp & Tech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭BizzyLizzy

Hi, looking for some help with my imap set up, ....

Currently using Eircom / Outlook 2003 / Gmail / + more

Set your Server Information to: pop.gmail.com -- smtp.gmail.com

Incoming POP3 server = 995
    Outgoing SMTP server = 465
    Tick the "This server requires an encrypted connection" box

Try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Tried what you said, and no luck.

As mentioned in the original post, this issue appears to only happen with NTL Broadband. When I am using Eircom / UTV Broadband over in my mates houses there is no problem connecting outlook 07 and downloading and sending mail. This is an IMAP gmail set up by the way.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Tried what you said, and no luck.

As mentioned in the original post, this issue appears to only happen with NTL Broadband. ....

And the reason I told you to TRY the POP settings is because NTL may be using a POP server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

BizzyLizzy wrote: »
    And the reason I told you to TRY the POP settings is because NTL may be using a POP server.

He's trying to access his gmail account via IMAP, it wouldn't matter if NTL were running a POP or IMAP server.

OP - I just enabled IMAP on my Gmail account and then configured Thunderbird to get my mail via IMAP and it worked. I'm on an NTL connection too so it may not be a problem with NTL.

Advertisement