Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ok, got caught speeding... advice please

Options
  • 27-12-2007 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

lock this thread please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

160km?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if you were doing 160 kmph weren't you speeding? Be a man and take your medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

yeah thats what i said didnt i?

im asking ye why was i forced to drive out to this mans house only for them to get me into trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Why did you admit that you knew the other driver. If you are afraid of him, as you seem to be, then why not deny all knowledge about who the other driver was?

as I said, they refused to let me go unless I took them to him, or brought him to them.. And i was panicking, not really thinking straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Seinas wrote: »
    yeah thats what i said didnt i?

im asking ye why was i forced to drive out to this mans house only for them to get me into trouble?

160!!!!!!?!!!!!!! Yet another example of why youngsters pay a fortune in insurance.

You're well and trully knicked. Who cares if you had to go round to this other bloke's house. Suppose they would have like to get him too.

Cop on. Slow down. Embrace your impending points and fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Mezcita wrote: »
    160!!!!!!?!!!!!!! Yet another example of why youngsters pay a fortune in insurance.

You're well and trully knicked. Who cares if you had to go round to this other bloke's house. Suppose they would have like to get him too.

+1:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

If you're not in the computer then you didn't do it!

But you refer to 200 km/h as an insane speed yet you seem to imply - forgive me if I'm wrong - that 160 km/h isnt? 120 is the absolute limit anywhere in the country, bar Mondello Park. Just be thankful you didn't end up killing someone. Learn your lesson and slow down. Full license or not, you're 17, which means you've at most a year's driving under your belt. You've barely enough experience to drive at legal speeds.

As regards Garda patrols that aren't known in your area, what do people think, is it acceptable, if you think there's something fishy going on, to refuse to get out of the car and insist that they follow you to the Garda station? I've heard that that's the advice given to lone women stopped by police in the USA when they're unfamiliar with the area, police car markings, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

160 kms and 17 years of age on a bad night - dont worry about the cops lad - or the spacer you grassed up- you'll end up dead soon enough all by yourself.

BTW if the other guy isnt your mate how do you know his name - address - mobile phone no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

...they thought he was my friend and were trying to make me admit that he was in front of me and that he had driven up the town but a few miles back he slowed down, almost to a stop and disappeared....

All seems a little strange? Did you know that other guy? You make it sound like you don't but how were to phone him? let alone know his home address? Anyhow, they were either phoney/negligent garda, or they were far more interested in that other guy, especially if he was the person in front and has that history.

Anyhow, you do know people like you get killed by that behaviour ...Don't think for a second you have the skills to even be able to control a vehicle at that speed and expect to be able to react to a situation if one happens...

BTW, I know some people that do things like this, one has excaped 4 accidents, another owes 18grand at the age of 17 due to a loan and a bad 3rd party insurance situation, and one is dead, including two that were involved in the accident....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm not surprised the guards at the local station are confused. That story made no sense at all. :confused:

ok, thanks for the advice...

feel free to lock the thread mods

Wolff wrote: »
    160 kms and 17 years of age on a bad night - dont worry about the cops lad - or the spacer you grassed up- you'll end up dead soon enough all by yourself.

and maybe some innocents...

...thats what I'm worried about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ok, i got caught speeding lastnight... in unusual circumstances, and the local Gardai cant figure out what is going on

driving into the town, i seen the beacons behind me... i pulled in, 3 gards got out and very really abusive etc etc... they said they were following me for 5 miles with the beacons and sirens but they actually didnt turn them on until just before i stopped for them. I denied this and they told me i did see them because i sped up.

There was another guy driving around me and he overtook me at some insane speeds.. well over 200km i would think, i was doing maybe around 160km. The gards asked me what i was doing and i said around 160km and they said nothing about it. They did not tell me what speed i was doing or anything like that. They kept harrassing me about the other guy, they thought he was my friend and were trying to make me admit that he was in front of me and that he had driven up the town but a few miles back he slowed down, almost to a stop and disappeared. They made me tell them his name, address etc.. they made me ring him and tell him to come into the town, and they said i wasnt allowed to go until he came. I rang him and he said he was at home,i told them that and the forced me to drive maybe around 15 miles or so to where he lived.

They just told me to hand in my licence and insurance details to my local Garda station and nothing more about points or anything like that, i thought they had to make me sign something to say i was speeding or else show me they had a gun and my speed.. Today i was in my local garda station and i wasnt put in on the computer, the local Gards cant seem to understand it and are trying to find out
    who these gards are and why they made me drive 15 miles to this guys house, and i was receiving death threats off him all last night, he is due in court in 3 months time for 43 charges including robbery, hit and run etc etc.. so basically i cant understand why they made me drive out there only to get me into more trouble.. and why im not on the computer

a little help people? i might add im 17 with a full licence...

tell your mate to get his car as far away from his house as possible, they are obviously , trying to rob the thing, what car is it, if he was doin 200k, it must be a V-tec or some other jap boy racer mobile,
    and if they guards were chasing him for that long, im sure they would have his reg and go from there to find out his adress.
    your lucky you got away.
    you wont hear anything, they werent guards, where was this??
    they sell those blue flashing lights on e-bay and the like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I agree. Very odd and confusing.

Hey Seinas, we're not saying you're a bad person or anything like that, just drive responsibly on public roads, and if need be, go to a track for some fun.

Mezcita wrote: »

on the motorway today , in the crappy weather, i was doin 120-140, people were whoring past me, nutters and all were in BMW, MERCS, VW, only one was in a civic type-R.
    its not always the young people who speed to insane speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Seinas, seriously, what are you doing? You shouldn't be associating yourself with people who have 43 criminal charges against them. Did these 3 guys tell you this or did you know this before hand?

It sounds like you were out having a little race around with him, again, don't be associating yourself with people who have 43 criminal charges including a hit and run.

Were they uniformed?

KONA: there's no difference legally between young or old, or type of car... it's still speeding.

There is a difference between experienced drivers and in-experienced. Most in-experienced drivers tend to be ones who have driven for a relatively short period of time, and thus in most cases tend to be young drivers with 1 or 2 years experience. Thus high insurance due to accidents associated with this..

But! being an experience driver is still no excuse for speeding on public roads.

I love going fast, racing, and testing my skills! but I go go-carting for that! ...and plan on going to the Nurburgring for a trackholiday as my GF's parents live an hour away :D

...I wish my "keyed car thread" got this much attention....

KONA: there's no difference legally between young or old, or type of car... it's still speeding.

There is a difference between experienced drivers and in-experienced. Most in-experienced drivers tend to be ones who have driven for a relatively short period of time, and thus in most cases tend to be young drivers with 1 or 2 years experience. Thus high insurance due to accidents associated with this..

But! being an experience driver is still no excuse for speeding on public roads.

I love going fast, racing, and testing my skills! but I go go-carting for that! ...and plan on going to Nuremberg Ring for a trackholiday as my GF's parents live an hour away :D

...I wish my "keyed car thread" got this much attention....

i understand the inexperienced bit, but 17 or 99 the car doesnt discriminate, itl still do a top speed of 100mph+, but if i do remember
    (quote) if your aged between 17 and 24 you have a "disease"(Un-quote)- Gay Byrne
    its just ageism, maybe people 17+ should be graded as to how well they drive, and insurance set up to reflect this.

but yes, it sounds like a bunch of scummers looking for a good car to rob.

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    i understand the inexperienced bit, but 17 or 99 the car doesnt discriminate, itl still do a top speed of 100mph+, but if i do remember
    (quote) if your aged between 17 and 24 you have a "disease"(Un-quote)- Gay Byrne
    its just ageism, maybe people 17+ should be graded as to how well they drive, and insurance set up to reflect this.

I understand where you're coming from but

Do you have any idea how complicated and potentially disasterous insuring a person according to their ability would be? I mean, we can't even do the national driving tests right yet, let alone change a phonecall insurance quote into a 30min-1hr driving test to judge driving ability.... even then people drive differently in a test.

....Driving ability for insurance = No Claims Bonus Discount + Years Driving + Type of Car.

oh and the type of car has a lot to do with it, they may all be able to go 100+ but some accelerate much faster than others, are easier to steal, are prone to breakdowns, are not as safe, etc, these are all things that insurance has to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What Wolff and others said

Seinas, how about posting exactly what really happened?

What UNKEL said, but I'd say tell the police everything.

Sounds like if you wern't booked for the speeding, I'd tell them everything, I mean everything, I really don't think they can book you if you walk in and admit to speeding (correct me if I'm wrong) Please consider the shifty behaviour of these supposed garda and this other bloke and the possible impact on you if you don't go to the station again.

The garda in the station will help you, thats their job and duty, they at least take the information for the future and support you, even just to reassure about the situation

Advertisement