Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Origional XBox Mod

Options
  • 27-12-2007 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was looking into modding my Origional XBox but I dont have all the bits like the Splinter Cell etc plus Im a complete Linux n00b. I was wondering if anyone here has some experience with modding an Origional XBox and would be interested in showing me how to my xBox for me over a weekend? There is beer in it :-)

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

I have all the bits needed. Splinter Cell and Memory Card with Krayzie Ndure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm interested in this too.
    I think my head is about to explode reading through the various posts on xbox-scene, half the tutorials there seem to be invalid or out of date and contradict eachother for the original xbox, I'm pretty confused.

If anyone has experience with softmodding an xbox original , what would you recommend as the best method around today?

The splinter cell method seems nice as its not intrusive 9but you need a compatable usb key and the game), however xboxhdm doesnt appear to need anything but is a little invasive and the guides seem to contradict eachother - one says you MUST backup the eeprom and hot unplug the xbox drive at a specific point in the boot process and another says you dont need to do this at all as there is a tool that can figure out the unblock code itself - hotplugging ide drives just seems a bit nuts to me !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

ongarite wrote: »
    I have all the bits needed. Splinter Cell and Memory Card with Krayzie Ndure.

Does this work with the Crystal pal XBox (1.6 version I think) I seem to recall reading that it doesnt - although the article was pretty old and my brain is a bit frazzled right now from reading all this stuff!!.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yes it works with ALL Xbox versions.

The Krayzie Ndure softmod is the easiest softmod. It takes 5 mins to copy to HDD and run and install. It makes a compulsory eeprom backup too.
    I've never used the hotplug method, it does work but its a bit risky, can fry the HDD.

Thanks ongarite, any chance you could show me how its done tomorrow?
    Theres a sixpack of your choice in it if your interested !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

I have a six pack also if your interested, you could show us both :-)

Are there any advantages to getting the xbox chipped as opposed to a softmod, I wouldn't mind adding a bigger HDD too but I guess thats alot of hastle? :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭hurleyd

You don't need a modchip to install a bigger harddrive, you can do it with xboxhdm and a softmod. It's pretty easy to do.

In terms of modding the console, hotswapping isn't that hard. If you have the required game and other bits then do it using the gamesave exploit, it is easier, but hotswapping works without those things. I've done a few mods for friends by hotswapping.

The thread entitled "Ndure Softmod Through Xboxhdm, The Free Way to Mod the Xbox" on xbox-scene I think is the most updated tutorial for softmod by hotswapping.

I did it through ndure and xboxhdm myself in the end and has worked out brilliantly.
    I was a lot more comfortable connecting and disconnecting an ide cable to a hard drive then messing about with a soldering iron.
    Also it didn't cost me a penny that way.
    I dont think it makes any real difference whether you have it chipped or softmodded, pretty much the same stuff is able to be used either way.
    As regard the hard drive, I was going to put a bigger one in but no need to bother now, the networking is so good on these that everything plays fine off the pc anyhow so no need to go swapping and cloning drives etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xbmc.dublin

I'm selling one of these xbox with XBMC installed and with about 500 old arcade games on it.

Willing to sell it for 100euro and 10euro more if you need a remote control.

let me know if you are interested, I'm in dublin 3 area.

my email address is xbmc.dublin@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think you'll need to go to adverts.ie to sell stuff, I'm pretty sure they frown upon that kind of thing in the boards.ie forums. I'm not even sure what the deal is with selling modded xboxes either. you might get into trouble for that too, I'm not sure (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Krayzie Ndure is the safest way to go, if you want to go the XBMC (or any other route without any hassle, the Auto Installer Deluxe disk (available via xbox-scene) is handy too for a (literally) all in one install of whichever flavour of homebrew etc. you want on your xbox.

you can pick up a copy of splinter cell from game for under 5e and a usb to xbox controller port adapter for around the same money, although in reality you only need the usb cable for the very 1st xbox you mod, as once you've done one you can use your modded xbox to copy the savegame to as many memory cards as you like. OR if you know someone with a modded xbox you can give them your memory card and get them to copy it to it for you to save you the bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement