Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wikipedia ...

• 27-12-2007 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Forgive me if this is in the wrong thread. Say for example Joe Dolans death yesterday http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dolan who puts it up on wiki ? Is it just someone that has nothing to do or wiki people. I mean it is very accurate and never really outdated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Anyone can make a contribution to the page as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah anyone can contribute but obviously must be verified before becoming live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yup, anyone can contribute to wiki, they just record you're ip address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yes, anyone can contribute to wikipedia, but your contribution will be deleted if one of the moderators doesn't like the content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

yeah-boy wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is in the wrong thread. Say for example Joe Dolans death yesterday http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dolan who puts it up on wiki ? Is it just someone that has nothing to do or wiki people. I mean it is very accurate and never really outdated.

Millions of monkeys with keyboards who have too much free time and/or believe in the grand notion of making available a free encyclopedia. anyone can contribute. You may do a search for something that you want to look up, realise there isn't any information or you have more information and you can add to it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

• Advertisement

Think the most bizzare things to occur with someones death was an annonymous person editing Chris Benoit's wikipeida entry stating his family were dead, hours before their bodies were found.

Source: Wikipedia double murder and suicide
    A statement regarding Nancy Benoit's death was added to the Chris Benoit English Wikipedia article 14 hours before police discovered the bodies of Benoit and his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lol, that's pretty wierd indeed....... Anyone else think that Chris Benoit actually edited the wiki before doing it?

Just putting that out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah anyone can contribute but obviously must be verified before becoming live.

Nope, it's live straight away. Also, the edits can be reversed by anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

FruitLover wrote: »
    Nope, it's live straight away. Also, the edits can be reversed by anyone.
    Ahh my bad so. Assume too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Chris Benoit actually edited the wiki before doing it?

Nah, it was someone in Connecticut, the police seized their computer and considered charging them with wasting police time. Don't think they did in the end though

Not all of Wikipedia is accurate. I've often come across information that's just wrong, so you can't take everything literally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Think the most bizzare things to occur with someones death was an annonymous person editing Chris Benoit's wikipeida entry stating his family were dead, hours before their bodies were found.

Source: Wikipedia double murder and suicide
    Thats really quiet eerie

I do a bit of editing on wikipedia every now and then on things that interest me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Fozzy wrote: »
    Not all of Wikipedia is accurate. I've often come across information that's just wrong, so you've can't take everything literally

Top marks for stating the obvious. A completely publicly edited encyclopedia is never going to be accurate. For example, I could insert "Didn't his beard and hat look funny and alien's probed his butt hole in 1843" into the wikipedia page of a former US president. Or slightly alter a really technical article so that it's not an obvious error and **** lots of students over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

The odd thing about Wikipedia is that, for something that is freely editable by anyone, the language used in the articles is invariably quite presentable and coherent (whether the articles are factually correct is another matter of course).

Take a juvenile subject like say The Spice Girls or something. Surely atleast some of the experts writing about this subject would be txt-speaking, incoherent youngsters for example.
    Yet the articles are still generally well-presented. :confused:
    Or is it mostly guys with PhDs that write pretty much everything on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Top marks for stating the obvious.

The OP stated that it is very accurate, so it's not obvious to everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

tech77 wrote: »
    The odd thing about Wikipedia is that, for something that is freely editable by anyone, the language used in the articles is invariably quite presentable and coherent (whether the articles are factually correct is another matter of course).

Take a juvenile subject like say The Spice Girls or something. Surely atleast some of the experts writing about this subject would be txt-speaking, incoherent youngsters for example.
    Yet the articles are still generally well-presented. :confused:
    Or is it mostly guys with PhDs that write pretty much everything on the site.

Good point. tbh the amount of vandalism is fairly negligible and all.

It is just me or arew Irish topics/biographies less conscise than foreign ones? Its as if nobody in Ireland can be arsed contributing properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

When it comes to DOD's it's the responsibility of the deceased to update their own Wiki page. I imagine someone gave Joe a laptop shortly before his death and asked him to do the necessary update.

Advertisement