Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city mart shopping centre

• 27-12-2007 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Demolition of mart buildings and associated buildings, construction of mixed use scheme consisting of retail, offices, 24no. residential units, 1,214 parking spaces and associated works... case due to be decided by an bord pleanala on 22/04/2008
    can only hope and pray

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Demolition of mart buildings and associated buildings, construction of mixed use scheme consisting of retail, offices, 24no. residential units, 1,214 parking spaces and associated works... case due to be decided by an bord pleanala on 22/04/2008
    can only hope and pray

Here here but i'd like to see firm infrastructural plans in place in KK such as continuation of the ring road ALL round the city and the inner relief road also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

it would be nice to see the inner releif road being built sooner rather than later but i wouldn't put money on it any time soon and as for the ring road going all around the city just think how long it took them to get this far,kilkenny brough council and kilkenny county council for that matter seem to love dragging there feet with every thing that seems to come in front of them, they'd rather jump up and down about a lap dancing club and how its beside the watergate and children might see something imoral when there leaving after a show in the watergate but have they forgot the watergate is nearly beside a sex shop,:D i suggest blind folds;) both council's dont seem to see past tomorrow that's why kilkenny is years behind other near by town's and cities..... and that is why i dont think we'l ever see the inner releif road in my life time and i'm only in my thirty's,, my rant is over :D

not long to go now untill we see if citymart gets the go ahead or not, fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

Any news on the An Bord Pleanála appeals decision on Citymart? Wasn't it supposed to be decided yesterday?

Seamus357 wrote: »
    Any news on the An Bord Pleanála appeals decision on Citymart? Wasn't it supposed to be decided yesterday?

as thought an bord pleanala couldn't make a decision, bloody fools :mad:, its been put off until june 3rd, if the developers decide to appeal......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

as thought an bord pleanala couldn't make a decision, bloody fools :mad:, its been put off until june 3rd, if the developers decide to appeal......

Even at that, I would be very surprised if they reached a decision by then. Down here in Waterford, we are waiting on a major city centre development which is in their hands since last July. It keeps getting put off. Only today, did they admit, that its now a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

i thought that ages ago they decided not to give planning permisson because the new Bridge and road wasnt built.. but that road (is it also known as the inner relief road?) wasnt going to be built because there wasnt enought traffic .. but the shopping centre would provide more...
    it seems like a catch 22 as the saying goes and anyone who crosses greens bridge after 8:30 would definitely say that we need a new road there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Rumour has it that the Barracks may be sold off soon after the local elections...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Why would they want to sell it off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

odin_ie wrote: »
    Rumour has it that the Barracks may be sold off soon after the local elections...

wouldn't surprise me....another state sector kick in the face for kk

• Advertisement

KatCookie wrote: »
    Why would they want to sell it off?

Reorganisation of the Army in the coming year or two which will see a downsize in the number of units, but not the overall strength of the Army. The rumor has it that 6 Barracks around the country will close, one of them being Stephens Barracks in Kilkenny. Then again there has been talk about this for many years, so it may just be a wild rumor, but with the development of the mart, and the inner relief road being built, it would not surprise me too much if the Department of Defence had been offered a large sum of money for the Barracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're always threatening to close the barracks, and I guess the value of the few acres of prime land its on makes it more and more attractive to the short-sighted greedy shower in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

They've been threatening to close that barracks for as long as I can remember.

Am pretty sure there was some report about 10 years ago, that said either Clonmel or Kilkenny barracks would close and the soldiers would merge into the one that stayed open.

The baracks is a prime bit of real estate in the city, huge inside, and would make a lot of money for the government if they were to sell it.

However, I think if there was a plan to sell it, they would have done it by now....and not when the building boom is slowing down.

I guess it all come down to the clout of the local TDs, etc when it comes to which of them remain open or get closed down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They might also encounter a few other problems if they want to knock it all and turn it into more poxy apartments/shops - as far as I know a few of the buildings in the barracks, including the main gate are listed.

I can see them doing a job similar to what happened in McDonagh Station if it is sold, ie converting the old buildings and building new ones around them

just reading the an board pleanala site seem's the ass's in that dept anit able to do there job no wonder the country is going down the pan........... was supposed to be decided today but guess what proposed decision date is not available at this time.............

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

Stephen wrote: »
    They might also encounter a few other problems if they want to knock it all and turn it into more poxy apartments/shops - as far as I know a few of the buildings in the barracks, including the main gate are listed.
    As well as that, there is a need for the barracks as a training centre, there has been cutbacks and closures of barracks in the south east already and with the third and thirty third battalions situated here its definatly a need for it

Advertisement