Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7meg Smart Broadband - Too good to be true?

Options
  • 27-12-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Im about to move into a new house in dublin 7.

I did the check on the smart website and Im in a supported exchange.

I've been looking at their 7meg package and it sounds too good to be true!

No contention,unlimited transfers etc. Anyone here have this package? Do they do something like give you unlimited transfers but then throttle torrents and other p2p networks?

Whats the latency like when playing games online?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

So far, they don't seem to throttle torrents or otherwise restrict what you do with your broadband. But the best thing of course is that the download cap does seem to be unlimited (I download essentially as much I can with my line and I've never had any problems).

Only thing to bear in mind is that even if your line is Smart Telecom enabled, your distance from the exchange may prevent you from getting the full 7mb. I'm miles away from the local exchange here in Cork, so 3mb is my max. But, I always get the full 3mb; it never drops below this. So, contention is pretty good.

So if you can get the full 7mb, you're in broadband dreamland :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm about 2km from my exchange, and getting a very consistent 6.5M out of it here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a very good package...if you can get it, no catches that I've ever heard of and I've heard from Smart Employee's that some users are doing 100GB's a month without any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Yep 7meg no catches...no contention no limits and for an unbeatable price really...

I thing smart provide one of the top broadband packages in Ireland. They are fair ahead of eircom in terms of value and provide true broadband.

The only problem is that they are only in certain area's.

If you can get them they are simply the best you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

They aren't in Phibsboro :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

jor el wrote: »
    I'm about 2km from my exchange, and getting a very consistent 6.5M out of it here.

At 2km from the RSU one should be able to get > 18 Mbits/sec using an ADSL2+ modem.

Line length is not the speed constraint in most urban locations in Ireland for DSL - it is the appalling regulatory system that lets eircom get away with high LLU charges. That is turn puts off competition - and all the providers can get away with providing glacially slow, artificially capped speeds at very high prices. And poor customer service.

.probe

Advertisement