Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popular Tattoo

Options
  • 27-12-2007 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Why is the lower back such a popular place for women to get a tattoo and not men?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭boss^is^dead

hahahaha.....tut tut.....dirty :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i really dont know why, i can only guess...
    the belly tops some women wear show off their stomachs, therefore the small of theire back too, so why not ink it up?
    i really dunno thats just a guess, maybe some female popstar popularised it? o.0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

its a target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i was gonna say that too but its a known fact ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

It all makes perfect sense, women like to display thir bums, men generally don't.

From Wikipedia:

Beginning in the late 1990s the lower back tattoo became popular, especially among young women. Lower back tattoos are often oblong in shape, following the slope of the back on either side of the woman's spine.

The lower back tattoo is body decoration with the intent of emphasizing sexual attractiveness. Generally, a lower back tattoo will be designed to emphasize the shape and curvature of the female figure.

While such tattoos have become increasingly popular and accepted in recent years in many parts of the world and especially the west, they remain an object of derision in some quarters. Detractors consider lower back tattoos as suggestive of promiscuity and an indication of Raunch Culture,[1] hence the nicknames tramp stamp and 'dirty girl' tattoo.

Several attributes of lower back tattoos have made them popular. While the lower back is not the widest area of the human back, it has abundant space for a large design, and horizontal tattoo designs can be worked easily. Another advantage is that the lower back is less likely to stretch and distort due to minor weight fluctuations, thus reducing the likelihood the tattoo becomes warped and faded.I][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"]citation needed[/URL][/I

Lower back tattoos are also often displayed in conjunction with halfshirts and bellyshirts (also called crop tops) designed to expose the midriff, and low-rise jeans that are worn low around the hips.

Some celebrities that have had such a tattoo are Ana Beatriz Barros,[5] Angelina Jolie,[6][7] and Eva Longoria.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

hate the sight of them to be honest, but each to their own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

Same as a necklace is said to be supposed to draw attention to the breasts, then.

Dashticle wrote: »
    Same as a necklace is said to be supposed to draw attention to the breasts, then.

Is it? :confused:

What other stuff do women do to draw attention to themselves?

Apart from the obivious, like low cut tops, mini skirts etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Sure historically the very purpose of jewelery (piercings or otherwise) was to draw attention. Make-up again was and is for the same purpose.
    So it's not just those with tattoos, or necessarily just the ladies for that matter, who're at it.;)

farohar wrote: »
    Sure historically the very purpose of jewelery (piercings or otherwise) was to draw attention. Make-up again was and is for the same purpose.
    So it's not just those with tattoos, or necessarily just the ladies for that matter, who're at it.;)

True true. Whe you think about it, everything is like a tattoo - clothes, hair, jewellery, make up etc. I guess tattoos have just got a bad name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement