Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest 280bhp+ car out there

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

How about one of these?286 bhp and no Nikasil problem and the more reliable version of the M3 for 7.5k?

Or for €500 more this M3, which is also not the evo version and is 2 years newer?

Or early 90's(E34) M5(minimum 315 bhp, 340 after 92, though they are meant to be an expensive bus to run)?

Or a Skyline, which of course would have Japanese reliability and 276 bhp if it's a GT-R?

An RX-7 is a temperamental beast, isn't it? It needs a complete engine rebuild every 40,000 miles and drinks more petrol than Shane McGowan drinks alcohol! And that Wankel engine has a reputation for unreliability too IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    286 bhp and no Nikasil problem and the more reliable version of the M3 for 7.5k?
    It's probably the closest I'd get in a BMW, but it's less bang/buck than the RX7 and a lot less than a GTO. The attractive thing about turbocharged cars is that they haven't reached their limit.. a remap for example and you can dial up the power relatively cheaply. A normally aspirated BMW has reached the end of the road..
    Or early 90's(E34) M5(minimum 315 bhp, 340 after 92, though they are meant to be an expensive bus to run)?
    M5 is a seriously heavy car tho, and like all BMWs aint gonna get any faster.
    Or a Skyline, which of course would have Japanese reliability and 276 bhp if it's a GT-R?
    Yes, Skyline is an option, but the GTR is not cheap, tho the single turbo models are a lot cheaper.
    An RX-7 is a temperamental beast,
    It sure is and while it's the most exotic of the 300ZX/GTO/RX7 trio it's not a runner. Pity as it's able to give the NSX a serious run for its money.

Unkel, the ability to store the 2 kids in the back and as fast as possible. Track use is probably a non runner. Trashing a 15 year old car might pop a ball joint (the car equivalent of needing a hip replacement).

In all honesty I'd say the GTO is looking like the only serious contender at the moment. Kinda surprised there hasn't been more mention of the 944 turbo...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

JHMEG wrote: »
    ...Track use is probably a non runner. Trashing a 15 year old car might pop a ball joint (the car equivalent of needing a hip replacement).

.....Kinda surprised there hasn't been more mention of the 944 turbo...

I regularly (once a year ;)) tonk an almost 29 year old car around a track. What's is a performance car for after all. You can't go fast on the roads.

944 Turbo - a fine bus. but buy carefully. Many will have reversed into hedges or worse at speed. A good car, which has been well taken care of, could be a shrewd purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

given your taste for Jap cars JHMEG are you considering importing from the far side?

given your taste for Jap cars JHMEG are you considering importing from the far side?
    Don't think I'd be arsed, well not for the money anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Don't think I'd be arsed, well not for the money anyway.
    I think you'd pick up a cleaner 3000GT from UK than a GTO from Japan. Many GTO's I've seen look a little worn out, where as more than half of the 3000GT's seem a little better looked after. I think it's your winner really. GTR's are too expensive. You should get a 3000GT to 400bhp properly for maybe €2k...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Why not try something a little bit more .......unusual;)

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=464361

not something you see every day

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh dear! :eek:

Some cars really should stay JDM only...

unkel wrote: »
    Oh dear! :eek:

Some cars really should stay JDM only...
    That car was available here, and actually looks alright in the flesh.. EDIT: "the SVX had curvy, almost futuristic, lines designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro of ItalDesign" according to wikipedia.

Only 230bhp tho, iirc, and no promise of more as there's no turbo...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bedamned. More than 2,000 were sold in Europe according to that article. I can't recall ever seeing one though

You could always buy one and put a turbo on it like this dude :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The Subaru SVX never came with a manual transmission from the factory, although alot of them were converted to manual as an aftermarket job. That one for sale on CZ could be one of those, as it's stated as a manual in the description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have a 96 GTO and I would recommend it, but get the facelift model after 94 I think. I'll be selling mine soon.

steve06 wrote: »
    I have a 96 GTO and I would recommend it, but get the facelift model after 94 I think. I'll be selling mine soon.
    Didn't the GTO get fatter with each new version tho, making an early more most desireable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Would you consider starting with a 2 litre turbo at around 200bhp, then creating a proper cold air induction, larger front mounted intercooler, freeflowing downpipe and exhaust, and fitting a manual boost controller and increasing the boost a bit, but within sensible levels, for realistic power gains approaching the 250bhp mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

As the title says. I am thinking of getting something with serious poke and a serious drink problem before petrol prices get completely out of hand.

Only two critera:
    Cheap
    Manual
    Road worthy/legal
    4 seats
    Sh!t fast

Can't be a behemoth like a 740 which is not fast and not for hooring around in.

Ideas:
    250bhp '93 Celica GT4 can be had for under 6k, but don't like the look of them (I would take one tho if stuck).
    280bhp Soarer 2.5 twin turbo can be had for 4k but manual ones are like hen's teeth.

More?

Another contender; http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=731437

Only has 240bhp tho :(

-VB-

If you really want some, have a look at one of these - http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/294585.htm

they are a great car and the power is amazing. In my opinion you should get one, and that's coming from a GTO owner... it will possibly be my next car!

steve06 wrote: »
    If you really want some, have a look at one of these
    Curious choice, but I think 220bhp is the limit that can be put thru the front wheels, which is well off what I'm after. Is your GTO normally aspirated?

VB, that yoke would be out for the same reason a 7 series would be out.. I'm looking for a fast car, not a cabin cruiser to bring out on the Shannon!:p

IrishRover, I'd really like to start around 280bhp, and if I like it and feel like spending a few quid take it up from there. 1000bhp is a practical limit:D

Curious choice, but I think 220bhp is the limit that can be put thru the front wheels, which is well off what I'm after. Is your GTO normally aspirated?

VB, that yoke would be out for the same reason a 7 series would be out.. I'm looking for a fast car, not a cabin cruiser to bring out on the Shannon!:p

IrishRover, I'd really like to start around 280bhp, and if I like it and feel like spending a few quid take it up from there. 1000bhp is a practical limit:D
    My GTO is running about 250 and a friend has a GTV running about 290 and it's an animal of a car. It's going in next month to get bored out to a 3.8 so it will be pushing 400bhp.

here's the actual car - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Ud0JyPJO4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

JHMEG ...just a general question ...

What exactly are you planning on doing with this fast car of yours. I can understand the craving for ever more horsepower ...but realistically ...what's the point?

On our roads the difference between 250 or 400 bhp is going to be neglible.

On back roads you'll only ever be able to use a fraction of the available power and on a good road where you possibly could put the boot down, they'll have you photographed and de-licenced before you know it :D

IMO a comfy cruiser with serious overtaking poke (like the Saab 9000 for example) would be far less frustrating in daily use than an outright racing machine whose potential you can't even begin to explore.

What's the point in sitting on a rocket if you can't ever flick the "ignite" switch? :D

Well, 160bhp is a lot funner than 100bhp, so I'm expecting a 280bhp car to be even more fun. Even a burn off the line at the lights is going to be more fun the more power there is available.

^ Mondello track days would also be useful to burn rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Well, 160bhp is a lot funner than 100bhp, so I'm expecting a 280bhp car to be even more fun. Even a burn off the line at the lights is going to be more fun the more power there is available.

heres what you want:

http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=323636

Nissan 200sx - Stage 2 291bhp

with bigger turbo and stage 3+ mods she'll be good for 350 - 400bhp

5,500.00 GBP = 7,482.58 EUR

really understated type of car too, i really love them and one of them is my next car! there reliable as well if you look after them with oil etc..

200sx/silvia is a popular with drifters at the moment, meaning it's not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

How about a Subaru Legacy RSK B4 ?
    2 litre twin turbo 4wd,4 doors,big boot
    280BHP as standard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

200sx/silvia is a popular with drifters at the moment, meaning it's not cheap.

your as fussy :D

the gto seems to be the best bet put on the thread so far?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=867849

or a nissan 350zz?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=752722

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

im not sure what your budget is or what exactly your use of the car will be but might i be so bold as to suggest an older mitsi evo?

my brother has an evo 4 at the moment and its savage - i was thinking of buying it off him to use as a track car.

tuning parts are readily available, as are spares and there are heaps of garages tuning them for reasonable costs.

they might not have massive bhp (about 230?) but their power to weight ratio is good and acceleration is awsome.

best of luck with whatever you choose.

just think of power to weight ratio too, The GTO is great but it's big and heavy. I really want an S2000 or an Elise but the GTV V6 really gets under your skin when you take it for a spin!

• Advertisement

In reality the 300ZX and the GTO are the main contenders at the moment. The 300ZX seems to have less toys but also seems to be more of a driver's car, so the priority at the moment is to see a few.

Advertisement