Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internships for 1st yrs?

Options
  • 27-12-2007 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hey, the applications for summer internships have begun but they all seem to be directed at penultimate year students. Are there any internships (finance, IB related) that are offered to first year students? Perhaps 'internship' is too limited in scope. Even shadowing opportunites would be great for me...or anything that would give me a glimpse into the whole IB world.

Analyse This

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Why don't you email some companies and ask?

I don't know of any personally, I did an internship in the summer of 2nd year, but like you said, was only for people going into final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Most internships are aimed at students about to enter their final year in college. A number of reasons why this might be:

1) You have a bit more knowledge in the subject area. First year barely scratches the surface often.
    2) You're more mature (supposedly)
    3) They can use the internship as a means to recruit for when you graduate in 12 months.

It's rare to see internships offered to first years, but that doesn't mean that other summer work is not available, depending on the area you're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Youre just finishing 1st year and youre worrying about internships? Jeese, would you not make use of the last few years in your life youre ever going to have 3 months at a time off for and go to America or Thailand like a normal student?

Internships are very advantageous, I'd definitely recommend you do one during your degree. Gives you an edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Look for a scholarship too.

I did one in my second year (four year degree so made sense). It's a great way to get knowledge of something, prepares you for thesis work etc and looks great on a C.V. for when you graduate, especially if you get it published.

*reminds herself to actually finish her write up at long long last*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Look for a scholarship too.

I did one in my second year (four year degree so made sense). It's a great way to get knowledge of something, prepares you for thesis work etc and looks great on a C.V. for when you graduate, especially if you get it published.

*reminds herself to actually finish her write up at long long last*

Scholarship? Do tell, if you don't mind sharing a few details, as I've never heard much about scholarships in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Blut wrote: »
    Youre just finishing 1st year and youre worrying about internships? Jeese, would you not make use of the last few years in your life youre ever going to have 3 months at a time off for and go to America or Thailand like a normal student?

Wow...so somehow ambition and determination correlates to abnormality?

I'm actually going to China for the month of August with my uncle's family. I thought I might look for something else for the first 2 months that would challenge me a bit in terms of my professional aspirations. I don't see anything wrong with that!

imp wrote: »
    Scholarship? Do tell, if you don't mind sharing a few details, as I've never heard much about scholarships in UCD.

Well I got one from the Health Research Board as a summer Scholar to do research into Radiographers knowledge of Child Protection Legislation.

I know that the UCD School of Medicine and Medical Science run scholarships too for students to study different subjects.

If you look around, especially in science they're tend to be scholarships going to research things.

What I had to do was submit a research proposal outlining what I wanted to do and a bit of a C.V. with my most recent exam results etc.

You'll need a lecturer to agree to supervise you too when you're doing the project.

Oh and OP; I know it's not an internship but a lot of the big insurance/banking companies take on people as summer temp type positions (I know a few people who've done this). Might not be exactly what you want but it's something to look into and it'd still look good on a C.V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'm actually going to China for the month of August with my uncle's family. I thought I might look for something else for the first 2 months that would challenge me a bit in terms of my professional aspirations. I don't see anything wrong with that!

You won't get anything for 2 months, not a snowballs chance in hell. The usual minimum internship is 3 months, with some lasting 9 months/1 year. (i.e. you take a year out of college to do it).

What you can probably get is a regular desk job in a banking facility, but even still they usually look for 3 month people for the summer, so only being around for 2 months will make it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Not true. My firm takes interns on for 6 weeks. Another firm takes them on for 8 afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Its been the experience of mine and some of my friends that traveling comes up a bit in interviews (did a Bcomm, now work in finance industry).

Sure being determined and experienced is important, so is being a well rounded individual and cultural fit (are you going to be like the other ppl in the firm).
    They also might be concerned that you vanish after 2 years to "find yourself" in asia :rolleyes:

Traveling is fun, and can be good for your career to have it out of the way. You can do internships next year or the year after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Kelso

All the IBanks do a "spring insight week" for first years which is basically just a shadowing week-just check out their wesites, all the details on there. Its on the Easter break AFAIK

You won't get anything for 2 months, not a snowballs chance in hell. The usual minimum internship is 3 months, with some lasting 9 months/1 year. (i.e. you take a year out of college to do it).

Wow, you don't know what you're talking about. Many internships are only two months long and banks often will take people on for just two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

hey stepherunie, saw you mentioned the summer research awards scholarships and for the first time in ages I checked blackboard there and there was a new option on it called Summer Research Awards 2008. I looked through the course documents and the 2007 research projects and the titles seemed pretty complicated so would i be right in guesssing that these reseach awards are aimed at older years in medicine and radiography etc. and not the younger years i.e. first med?If so what years generally partake in them?

Well mine was overly complicated it was questionnaire based.

I did it at the end of my second year so I wouldn't say it's just for more senior years - they're trying to encourage students to get more interested in doing research and improve the standards of the student research.

You've jsut gotta be interested like, talk to whoevers in charge and they'll be able to give you more help but don't worry it's not too difficult.

If you've any other questions just pm me anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

I did an internship this summer before entering third and final yr of commerce, and tbh it was one of the most important things I have ever done! The reality of a job you thought was brilliant and what you TRULY wanted to do can be so far removed from reality thats its scary.

Im not a big fan of people who do this sort of thing so it can look good on a cv and "get ahead" etc, although these tend to be side benefits. For me the internship let me see what ACTUALLY working there would be like and whether it suited my personality/expectations etc.
    Avoided making a very serious career error!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

If 'having ambition and determination' is how you want to put it fair enough (personally I'd say more being an anti-social career obsessed type but howandever) then yeah it is abnormal when the majority of students arent like that.

College is the last time in your life before retirement when youre gonna have long periods of time off from work, its really really silly not to take advantage of this while you can. About half of my friends are working full time now and only get 2 weeks off for the summer and thats all theyll get for the next 30 years...hows that for depressing. They all went on holiday every summer while they were in college and theyre still depressed over the fact theyll never J1/Interrail/travel around S-E Asia again, imagine how you'll feel if you never do these things in your life?

Theres no doubt an internship will help your employment opportunities...its still not worth doing in my opinion before the summer after your masters (or at worst summer after final year).

Advertisement