Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Mafia GTA

• 27-12-2007 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

Was wondering what others would think of a GTA starring the Irish mafia as acentral theme.

I have a keen interest in Irish Gangsters in America, while their heydey was back in the days of prohibition (especially Dion O'Bannion), and lost most of it's recruits once the Irish started to climb the social ladder, the Irish mob still survive in places such as Boston, linked to the Mafia.

Seeing as the GTA franchise has already done games on the Mafia and gangsters, I think a game involving the Irish mob would make an excellent storyline.

Anyone else have any theories on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

think Gta4 will have an irish gang not sure though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'd say this is possible. Good thread idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as long as it's accurate and don't have them wondering around drunk in green suits with canes and saying "la dee da" or "top of de mornin' to ya" then it's okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Maybe... I've been really interested in this stuff too since reading 'Old Bones and Shallow Graves' (also released under the title 'Paddywhacked') - one of the best books I ever read. kickoutthejams, have you read other stuff like that that you might recommend? I think it would go down really well in GTA, at the very least as some small storyline - especially if the game is set in the past slightly. Given the success of the Departed, maybe something based on Whitey Bulger.

Rather than GTA though, I would like to go a step further and release a game called 'Five Points' about the gangs in New York in the 1800's. You pick your gang (Dead Rabbits/Whyos, etc.) and there is more than enough history there to draw on for inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

The Departed except with 100% more hookers and violence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Cremo wrote: »
    as long as it's accurate and don't have them wondering around drunk in green suits with canes and saying "la dee da" or "top of de mornin' to ya" then it's okay.

You know they will for the comedy value anyway. At least Rockstar will manage to make it somewhat humorous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Illkillya wrote: »
    Maybe... I've been really interested in this stuff too since reading 'Old Bones and Shallow Graves' (also released under the title 'Paddywhacked') - one of the best books I ever read. kickoutthejams, have you read other stuff like that that you might recommend? I think it would go down really well in GTA, at the very least as some small storyline - especially if the game is set in the past slightly. Given the success of the Departed, maybe something based on Whitey Bulger.

Rather than GTA though, I would like to go a step further and release a game called 'Five Points' about the gangs in New York in the 1800's. You pick your gang (Dead Rabbits/Whyos, etc.) and there is more than enough history there to draw on for inspiration.

My friend.
    Excellent idea on Five Points. I'd be a Plug Ugly.

I heartily reccomend a book called The Mob by James Durney:
    http://jamesdurney.com/books/themob.htm

He tends to repeat himself a lot but the book is very solid.

TG4 did a good profile of Dion O'Bannion, and they had the author of Paddywhacked on.
    I've heard good things on Paddywhacked, do you know anywhere in Ireland I can get a copy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Pulltheplug

A gta game set in Ireland would be cool :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

A gta game set in Ireland would be cool :P

Nah, Ireland is too peaceful and law abiding to be any fun.

We'd just have a few terrorists and inner city drug pushers.

Irish Mobsters in the states FTW. Then there'd be gun stores and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Think of it though... Driving your Stretch Hummer over Canal Bridges, in a speedboat on the southern coast picking up bags of coke, getting arrested on Camden St for having an Ak47... Helicoptering into a prison to break out the lads...

Making sure there's no pesky journalists about...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭rizzla

GTA IV has an Irish character. Dunno about a whole gang...yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

GTA Moyross ftw!!!! :rolleyes:

You play an 11 year old who somehow gets an AK47 and then away you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

An Irish gang/faction has been confirmed by a GamesMaster preview.

Source (Bottom left-hand corner in the fifth image)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Advertisement