Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Progressions through songs

• 27-12-2007 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I seem to be able to great some good chord progressions but then get stuck in that progression and can't seem to lead into a chorus etc. Anyone have any tips on how to remedy this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It's hard to advise without knowing more, but maybe you're mixing up writing riffs with writing songs? It's a common enough thing for guitarists when they move into songwriting. But for all I know you're a double bassist so like I say it's hard to comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I'm a guitarist/pianist and this particular tune is on piano. However I just can't lead out of the verse to that great chorus I'm looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Is the verse a set of chords and a vocal melody line or is the melody line being played by your right hand? If the latter, try sing it without the chords and just see where the line wants to go with your voice. Or if you have words for the verse use them to get an idea of what the words should be for the chorus then see what music the draw to them. Or take a break and see if inspiration hits while you're not even thinking about it!

I tend to write songs without a melody line and just sing whatever comes into my head. Would it be better to make a melody first and then build from that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Sweet wrote: »
    I tend to write songs without a melody line and just sing whatever comes into my head. Would it be better to make a melody first and then build from that?

feel it out.

you don't have to write the song you think other people want to hear. write from your own heart and if you're satisfied with it then someone else will be.

half the stuff i write don't end up as songs anyway. i stick 'em somewhere and re-visit when i have a place for them :D

• Advertisement

Yeah same happens to me, have at least 50 song parts transcribed on the computer. Only problem is that I get too many ideas for them and never a melody.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

I use this quite alot.. When moving from verse to chorus.. try switching to the relative minor of that key.. or if the verse starts in a minor make the first chord of the chorus the relative major..

ie.. If your song starts in Am.. go to C for the chorus..
    or if your song starts in G try Em for the chorus..

To get the relative major go up a half step - then a full step.
    To get the relative minor go down a half-step then a full step.

Another thing you can do if you feel your chord progression for the verse is particularly good (and u find you can sing many melodies over it) is keep it for the chorus and change the melody.. (ie. knockin' on heavens door)
    Or change up the way you play it or stay on each chord for an extra bar..

Also you can be looking for that brilliant chorus for weeks and weeks.. just keep playing around and you'll get it.. (maybe even when writing a new song)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Have you tried playing around with a pre-chorus? A couple of bars of a buildup might be what youre looking for.

Advertisement