Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Straightening Problem

• 28-12-2007 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

I have very curly hair, ringlets etc. I love my natural hair, but I would like to be able to straighten it now and then when I feel like a change. I own a pair of FHI straighteners(I am guessing they're mid range as straighteners go) and have used them less frequently than I would like since purchasing them almost a year ago.
    I should probably include what my regualr hair rituals are before getting to the problem. After shampooing and conditioning my hair I comb it out, use Boots Curl Cream and give it a scrunch. I later put in some gel if needed. Normally looks good enough, not too much frizz, not too dry etc.
    Here's the problem, normally when I'm straightening my hair I wouldn't have washed it the same day, so there would be some product in it. So I straighten my hair, normally takes about 20-30 minutes to do a good thorough job, and when I finish my hair is like the Sahara, unquenchable! It looks horribly dried out and no amount of gel will keep the dryness and frizz at bay for more than half an hour.
    I've seen a lot of these heat protection products and I'm wondering would they help, or are they simply for keeping your hair in good condition for those who straighten their hair every day? Any ideas? All suggestions welcome, I really need some help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Curly hair tends to be a little drier than straight hair. Heat protection is a must and using a really good moisturising conditioner before you straighten can help.

The fact that already have product on your hair before you straighten it may mean that when it heats it is drying your hair out more.

Try straightening your hair after you wash. Use a good conditioner like Aussie 3min Miracle, dry your hair as normal and add the heat protector according to instructions (most are put on the hair while dry but some state putting it on the hair when wet) and see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Agreed with the above. DOn't try straightening your hair if you've already got product in it, especially if it's for enhancing curls. Best thing to do is to wash your hair clear of product, blowdry your hair with a paddlebrush (this will straighten it a bit by itself) put on some heat defense spray first though (I currently use a pantene one and find it good) and when your hair is dry, section it off with clips and start straightening from the underneath, letting down more of your hair as you go and finishing with the very top part of your hair. This will make sure you're not overheating sections of your hair (if you don't section it off some strands will inevitably go through the straightener more often and end up drier than other strands).

Make sure to use good conditioner always, and if your hair still looks a little dry and flyaway/frizzy after straightening, a quick fix (though not necessarily solving the dryness but will leave it looking shiny and straight) would be a spray on hair serum. The frizzease one is good for a quick spritz of gloss on your locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

I got a perm into my hair in June07 and hated the way it turned out so i went to a hair salon and got it straightened it only cost €75 and looks good now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Thanks for the help ladies, some great advice there, I'm feeling confident that I'll manage to achieve frizz free straight hair now! Siouxie sue, do you mean permenantly straightened? Is that not damaging to your hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

Any ideas? All suggestions welcome, I really need some help!

Stop worrying about your damn hair, it just isn't important at all. Try to focus on the significant things in life and you'll be much happier. You'll probably save yourself some money as well. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

uh subjectsean your kinda in the wrong forum dude....

im not sure but i heard permanently straighting your hair is good for hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

uh subjectsean your kinda in the wrong forum dude....

Hey I'm not so sure :) OP sez she loves her natural hair so she should stick with it IMO there are too too many plastic girls around and not enough natural ones. Shes stressin for no good cause, even if you girls sort her all out with your sage advice the artificial perfume cack you get her to rub on her head will still simply smell bad.

Advertisement