Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50s style make-up suggestions

• 28-12-2007 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hey - one for the girls (probably!)

I just picked up a 1950s style cocktail dress in the sales (strapless, little waist with a bow, flaring out below to knee length) and want to wear it for a New Years party where I wanna impress. I was thinking of doing sorta 1950s style make-up but am wondering (a) how exactly to do this and (b) if I'd look OTT. I was thinking like black liquid eyeliner, long eyelashes and red lips, with curled hair (it's normally straight, long, brown) (the dress is black lace over a nude underdress).

Any suggestions for if I should do a 50s look or not and if so how to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Don't bother with the false eyelashes, it's overkill.

Matt foundation
    blush/highlighter on the cheekbones
    glossy red lipstick
    pale eyeshadow with flicked eyeliner (cat's eyes) and black lashes

hair in pony tail with the fringe rolled back into a little bump at the front.

Google "rockabilly" and you should get some ideas! Dress sounds cute, where did you get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

As a general rule, emphasise eyes or lips, not both, it doesn't mean you have to ignore one though, just keep one the main focus of attention, what ever you think your best asset is, lips or eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭cupcake

Good makeup/hair tut: http://tinyurl.com/2w3pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

you could try a red lip stain. that way it wont be too much and you can still have the eyeliner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Only do eyeliner on the top eyelid. You can also pencil in your brows to give a strong shape. Red lips, matte foundation, as others have mentioned.
    Red nail varnish.
    Try this for inspiration
    SPX-009402.jpg

You could also google impage search 50's pin up girl, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Great advice, thanks guys, think i was just feeling a bit timid as the make-up is much more than I would usually do, but f*ck it, it's new years :) (shall abandon plan of false eyelashes though, can never manage to do the bloody things right anyway).

Dress was from A-wear btw, 40 yos reduced from 60 (horrors - somebody will probably have seen it and will now tell me it's rank and I should abandon it altogether - please don't, i've no time to buy anything else!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Check out KT Tunstalls hair in the first dancing section of this vid:

Girls aloud do the 50's prom queen look very well in this vid.

Also, plain black peep toe shoes on bare legs are v cute with the look, Lets the dress do the talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Also, plain black peep toe shoes on bare legs are v cute with the look

BARE legs? Fishnets are the way to go as far as I'm concerned. Bare legs (in December) look tacky.

vibrant wrote: »
    BARE legs? Fishnets are the way to go as far as I'm concerned. Bare legs (in December) look tacky.

Right you are, I agree totally. Any excuse to encourage women to wear fishnets;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

my gf does that sort of look all the time. Looks great.. i dont know anything about makeup... but the best way i can explain her hair is that she does a sort of side parting fringe for her hair, but has a thick black ribbon or a red one (about 2inches) seperating the fringe from the middle of her hair... looks real hot. She backcombs her hair at the back too so it lifts a little, hard to explain, very tidy looking result.. again.. looks hot.

• Advertisement

Heard on the Radio this morning that this is the big look for Spring/Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Oh i LOVE that I'm at the vanguard of 2008 fashion!!!! :p (together with red_ice's very hot gf!)

BTW, after all the great tips, my make-up was hot, sadly the NYE party was not, but shall keep hold of my liquid eyeliner & red lipstick for future events. Cheers all :)

Advertisement