Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Packet Loss issue

Options
  • 28-12-2007 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

I'm on Eircom's 2meg package and have just started experiencing a problem in the last week or so.
    My latency had jumped considerably, while downloads etc seemed fairly normal. I've been trying to play a few games on the 360 this evening and despite the fact that no other pc is accessing the connection (Would usually have a couple of laptops on the wireless), it was still stupidly bad.

I checked a few Irish/UK ping responses and they were all in the 250-250 range. However, running a Tracert shows an issue with the second hop -
    it just displays * * * Request timed out and then the next hop is usually in the 200s. Everything after that looks normal.
    I tried a PingPlotter app to take a look and that is showing 100% Packet Loss at the 2nd hop, regardless of the site I'm trying.

The modem is the Netopia 3347WG - the results above would suggest it's probably something to do with the settings here but as far as I'm aware, nothing has changed.

As I mentioned above, with all PCs disconnected, the ping issue still exists so the usual spyware/malware questions wouldn't apply.
    I'm at a bit of a loss as to what may be the issue - has anyone encountered this before?

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Borked exchange , good luck with Bangalore I say :p

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Elbow,
    The "* * * Request timed out" message you are getting is from the BRAS - that is always the first hop from your DSL modem. It is pretty normal for the BRAS to be set up not to allow an echo back to a ping - for security reasons (avoids you identifying the interface and attacking it).
    If the next ping time is 200ms or more, it does suggest congestion on one of the interfaces of the BRAS out to the core of the network.

I posted on another thread earlier about an issue that I know about on Summerhill BRAS - which I understand will be fixed in a matter of days - if you are living in North Dublin somwhere, you are probably affected by the same problem. Otherwise, let me know what exchange you are on and I'll check with my mates in eircom.

Advertisement