Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops on Ryanair

Options
  • 28-12-2007 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, quick question: Can I take a laptop bag on in addition to my one piece of hand luggage? I've searched their site, and the only mention of laptops specifically is that you can use them once the flight has levelled out etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm about to board a ryanair flight in the next half hour with my laptop, i don't have another one with me this time though but have in the past. I don't think that ryanair care about you having the laptop plus another bag, but you are likely to have trouble with the airport security depending where you are flying to. I've been ok with two bags in dublin airport before, but uk airports are a different matter completely on the return leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

You may probably have read this before!

http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?ChPath=Heathrow^General^Airport information^Security control&securityCountryGUID=fd2cb7b277c35110VgnVCM10000036821c0a____

http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/General/Heathrow%5EGeneral%5EAirport+information%5ESecurity+control%5ESecurity+FAQs/76bb00df152dd010VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

Note that the bag size requirment is smaller through Stansted and Southampton

As you know there is planned industrial action at BAA airports for January 7, 14, 17 and 18. You may find security staff working to the last letter of the law.
    I haven't heard anything yet of the relaxing of the hand baggage laws after January 7 yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have often got away with carrying two laptops in the one laptop bag plus what ever else fits into it. I always carried this as an addition to my hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Thanks for the replies, am posting from Spain with said laptop (I put it in my hand luggage, but (as is pointed out above) I could have brought a separate bag for it, as long as I wasnt going next to near any UK airports.

(I believe you can circumvent UK airport security's jobsworthy enforcement of "one piece of hand luggage" by putting all your stuff in a bin liner and they'll let you through security, how nuts is that? :). Devore has blogged on this very issue in the past (but I can't find a link just now)

Again, thanks for the replies and I'll know in future I can bring my laptop to Spain without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Had no problem doing it on Dublin - Cork with them during October...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Best to be safe in most cases and just have the one item of hand luggage, especially out of UK airports where the security staff can, on the most part, be described as absolute jobsworths.

Have gone through with an extra laptop/camera bag in Dublin reently and all was ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I had problems several times with aer lingus on the heathrow bus.
    I'm getting a smaller laptop and bag which will hopefully not be as noticable.
    It's 15.4" atm so i'm moving to a 11.1" laptop and a slipcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

As an addn:
    Remember never to put your laptop through the scanner on standby.
    The still powered RAM triggers the machine.
    Usually involves a more in depth search and a missed flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have heard that from January a laptop bag and your hand luggage will be allowed through security in the UK. I'm trying to find a link to support that though.

Edit: http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/airtravel/airportsecurity/cabinbaggage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

*Kol* wrote: »
    I have heard that from January a laptop bag and your hand luggage will be allowed through security in the UK. I'm trying to find a link to support that though.

Edit: http://www.dft.gov.uk/transportforyou/airtravel/airportsecurity/cabinbaggage
    Only problem is some airlines quite like the current restrictions (more locker space) and will be keeping the one bag restriction, doubt it'll be many though. One for the locker and one under the seat and you're all set.

• Advertisement

True. A lot of airlines that have a one bag restriction also allow online check-in. So it's easy to get away with having two carry on bags or overweight hand luggage as you never have to visit the check-in desk. Once you are at the gate the airline staff are too busy trying to board the plane to check your hand baggage.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

cros13 wrote: »
    As an addn:
    Remember never to put your laptop through the scanner on standby.
    The still powered RAM triggers the machine.
    Usually involves a more in depth search and a missed flight.

Nope, not true. I've gone through plenty of airport scanners in Europe and the USA and my laptop is always on standby. If they can tell any difference (which I doubt, surely X-rays don't "see" electrical circuits differently when they're powered on?) they don't care. Besides, a more detailed search will in the vast majority of cases not cause you to miss your flight unless you are really trying to push the limits.

Now if only airports around the world would be consistent about the laptop-in-or-out question and whether or not a neoprene sleeve counts as a "bag"!

In the UK airports a ladies handbag counts as a bag and has to placed inside the carry on luggage at the moment. A bit ridiculous really when it can be taken out of the bag again straight after they pass through security.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

i'm a hobbyist photographer, and was travelling back from gatwick to dublin last august
    carrying as hand luggage a Digital SLR and a small compact film rangefinder camera, both in camera bags. The rangefinder easily fits in my jacket pocket.

wasn't allowed to take both through security until i put the film camera in my pocket and left the SLR in the camera bag across my shoulder, then they had no problems with it.

airport security are, by and large, a bunch of chumps.

Advertisement