Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor performance of self build - any ideas?

Options
  • 28-12-2007 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

The performance of my self-build has been going down the toilet recently, especially in relation to playing BF2.

I ran 3DMark06 and initially got an overall score of 2665. After updating the BIOS (Phoenix) to the latest version, the overall score dropped to 1798. I really think I should be getting a higher rating based on my spec:

CPU : P4 @ 3.2Ghz (not OCed)
    GPU : Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro
    RAM : 2 GB (2 X 1GB DDR400)
    AV : AVG
    HD : 200 GB Seagate IDE

I've done all the usual stuff like check for viruses and spyware and killed most of the non-essential background processes. I've updated the sound and video drivers to the most recent.

The fact that updating the BIOS cut the 3DMark06 rating should be a clue, but it's left me scratching my head. The CPU score seems exceptionally low (277).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Maybe the bios update reset some of your bios settings, check with those first.

After that roll back the gfx card driver to the previous version and see how you get on.

After that if you still have issues put back on the old bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

uberpixie wrote: »
    After that if you still have issues put back on the old bios.
    I had slowness issues even before the BIOS update.

It's like there's something in the hardware throttling either the CPU or the PCI Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Updating your BIOs is never reccomended

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Archytas

toco123 wrote: »
    Updating your BIOs is never reccomended

True... Especially if there isn't a absolutely critical need for it. Check that the new BIOS upgrade hasn't enabled certain power/performance features by default. Also check Xp for those kind of things too as they could be throttling the CPU... however - Its unlikely to be doing it on its own. You need to check things like the voltage going to your CPU to make sure thats within guidelines. Check fans speeds and other things that might not be jumping out immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Found the problem - Video BIOS Caching was disabled in the main BIOS settings.

BF2 plays smooth as silk now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement