Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog dirt @ Balbriggan beach

Options
  • 28-12-2007 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭

can no-one pick up after their dogs ??
    I am truley disgusted at the amount of dog poo around the martello tower area and car park at Balbriggan beach.

Now either a lot of people let their dogs out in the area to wander or dog owners are not picking up.
    It's disgusting - I have 2 dogs and always have pockets full of bags even still there are bags and poo bins provided by the council.

I was down there yesterday and a few people clearly saw their dogs pooing on the beach and walked on.
    I am sick of having a go as all I get is abuse :mad:
    People should be fined heavily to be honest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Maybe, they forget to pick it up, you could always pick it up for them and follow them home and post it through their letter box for them to dispose of it properly.

(Yes, I know it's not the most mature post, but we've all felt like doing it at some stage), I don't go down the beach much but it's pretty disgusting anytime I have been down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

gillo wrote: »
    Maybe, they forget to pick it up, you could always pick it up for them and follow them home and post it through their letter box for them to dispose of it properly.

/QUOTE]

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

you could,
    contact the town council and ask to have a litter warden partol the beach, and also request to have this request made on your behalf to Fingal COCO.I totally agree with you.
    I cant bring my kids down there.If its not drink cans, its pooh.Its horrible.
    cathy
    ps, if possible take pictures to show how bad it is and include them with your letter.Perhaps a few worlds to your TD should help also.
    cathy

Cathy super idea thanks
    I'll get cracking with the new camera off santa tomorrow
    It is a health hazzard

Susie, I agree.I will pm you my e-mail and we can draft the letter together if you like.I have a dog, my sIL works for Dogs in Distress and I honeslt HATE to see this Happening.There is a Balbriggan parents forum , and we can ask them to copy and print off our letter, get a few names.See what happens.Its all well and good putting up signs but if no one is therer to hand out the fine then , its not worth a thing.We call that area down there "the dogs toilet"I can remember going down it with a pram years ago and the wheels covered in Dirt.It hasnt changed and it should.We want a litter warden and we want to see them on the beach at prime DOG walking hours and we want the people Fined.
    OHHH I feel all powerful.hehe.
    pm sent,
    cathy

• Advertisement

I'm in for that but what worries me is that instead of taking action against the offenders Fingal will do the typical Irish thing and ban all dogs from the beach which is unfair on the likes of us
    Honestly there are times of the year I'm the only eejit on the beach haha

Will e mail you from home tonight ;)

ah for this I think we should focus on how its the beach and surrounding area effected.Hit on the Tourism side of things, show how it hits their pockets, no sea side seekers, no long walks nice views lets book into the nearest hotel.Sunshine house us the Beach a lot for the kids, so a bit about Toxoplasmamitoes,spelt wrong???Dog walkers welcome, bring a bag.
    Its all ready in place in a lot of Beaches that Dogs cant be walked there during the summer etc.We just want a responabile approach to it.Dogs running around Poohing , not on leads while young kids they and build sandcastels filled with pooh is not a nice vision for the futre.I think it would be a great poster!!Any artist on borad who can do a good one.I look forward to talking with ya.
    cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    I'm in for that but what worries me is that instead of taking action against the offenders Fingal will do the typical Irish thing and ban all dogs from the beach which is unfair on the likes of us
    Honestly there are times of the year I'm the only eejit on the beach haha
    Maybe you should familiarise yourself with when canines are and aren't allowed on the Fingal beaches then get back to us.

Educate yourself then worry about what typical Fingal will do.

Fingal will do the typical Irish thing and ban all dogs from the beach which is unfair on the likes of us
    Once again educate yourself on the the bylaws.

Dogs On Beaches
    During the period 1st June to 31st August in any year persons shall be allowed bring a dog onto, or allow a dog under his or her control to remain on the beach/foreshore

(i) under adequate personal control, before the hours of 11.00am and after the hours of 6.00pm
    (ii) to be on a leash in all Reserved Bathing Areas (as defined in Schedule 2) between the hours of 11.00am and 6.00pm.

Persons in charge of a dog on the beach shall ensure the following:-

It is on a leash or under adequate control
    It is not causing annoyance to any person using the beach or worrying, chasing, injuring or disturbing any animals, birds or other creatures on the beach
    Removal of its faeces and depositing it in a litter bin or other receptacle which may be designated for this purpose. (Guide dogs for the blind are exempt from this bye-law as also are dogs kept by An Garda Siochana and wholly used by a member of An Garda Siochana in the execution of his/her duty).
    Every person bringing a dog onto the beach area shall be responsible and liable for any damage or injury to property or persons which may be caused by it.

• Advertisement

typical smart arsed unhelpful answers from you again Bluetonic.

I am familiar with the by laws thanks very much but have cross posted a section from the Fingal CoCo website.

I meant that it would be easier for the council to bring in a blanket ban 365 days a year than to police the people causing the problem which would ruin me and other responsible dog owners from walking around the beach.

ah, I think we all want the same thing.Dont we.If you cant help Bluetonic and only want to be negitive and rude then perhaps there is another board you could post on.For now, this is something people care about and if you want to add something useful, please do.Please dont be rude.Its not needed or welcomed.
    cathy

cathy01 wrote: »
    ah, I think we all want the same thing.Dont we.If you cant help Bluetonic and only want to be negitive and rude then perhaps there is another board you could post on.For now, this is something people care about and if you want to add something useful, please do.Please dont be rude.Its not needed or welcomed.
    cathy
    Where have i been rude?

I meant that it would be easier for the council to bring in a blanket ban 365 days a year than to police the people causing the problem which would ruin me and other responsible dog owners from walking around the beach.
    How many stray and unlicensed dogs would you say there are in Balbriggan?

I s To many a number.Iknow of one Dog and since the family split up, no one got custody of him and he just roams the streets, Poohing in Gardens and chasing cars.Its very Dangerous .I know we dont have a Dog warden but we shoudl have.Not tocasue trouble for people but to protect Dogs from been abandoned.
    But back to the issue of pooh.I might take a walk down there with my camera.
    Be good all,
    sorry Bluetonic if I was OTT, all I can say is PMS!:mad:
    Have a happy , Healthy and peacful new year all.
    Cathy

If anyone has anything constructive to add then feel free to PM myself or Cathy.

I suppose in life there are do-ers and talkers.
    As far as I am concerned it's good to have people who care about their neighbourhood enough to want to get off their backsides to try to do something rather than sit back and critisise and nit pick at others posts - :p

Bluetonic wrote: »
    How many stray and unlicensed dogs would you say there are in Balbriggan?

I wonder if this has relevance ?
    I did say in my 1st post that the poo prob may be down to dogs who exoercise themselves but I have also seen a number of people quite clearly see their dog poo and walk on .

I know from fostering dogs from the pound that quite a few are picked up in Balbriggan.

I suppose there are loads of people who don't have dog licences. ( I have )

When I lived in Louth the wardens did a yearly purge and called to everyones house asking to see the licences and issued yearly reminders.

I think there are 4 wardens altogether covering the Fingal area which by and large is a big task.
    In the weeks coming up to Xmas over 51 dogs a week were being picked up - some indication of the widespread problem of total and utter irresponsibility people show when it comes to pet ownership - this did not include the ones people surrendered to the pound themselves.

my daughters friend wanted a puppy from Santa.My SIL works for Dogs in distress .I can see the number of Dogs just left.
    Today, to be very honest I called over a young child and told him I would muder his Dog if he was in my garden poohing again.I cant let my child out as the Dog is jumping on her.Poohing in the garden, chasing cars.Some people dont deserve to have a dog.
    Anyway I have an action plan and will be working on it.
    cathy

Hi sue, I rang the co co and they said there is nothing they can do about the dogs dirt as they have to prove, which dog done it??
    For your info

RUBBISH ON FRONT BEACH

Question submitted by Councillor Stephen Kilgallon

I would like to ask the Manager to confirm what steps are being taken to reduce the levels of rubbish being left on the front beach in Balbriggan over Friday and Saturday nights? This mostly consists of left over beer cans and bottles from large groups gathering late at night each weekend.
    I would ask that the location be visited at these times by a litter warden to enforce the littering laws, I would suggest that the warden may require Gardaí to assist due to the number of people and the amount of alcohol consumed?

Reply: The front beach area is cleaned every Monday and Friday morning. The Litter Wardens do not work at nighttime and even if they did it would not be safe for them to visit the area in question considering the anti-social nature of the gatherings.

Under the Fingal County Council (Prohibition of Consumption of Intoxicating Liquor on Roads and in Public Places) Bye-Laws which came into operation on 11th July 2002 it is an offence for any person to consume intoxicating liquor on a road or in a public place within the functional area of the Council or to possess such liquor for the intention of consuming it or supplying it to a person for consumption.

The Garda Siochána enforce these Bye-Laws and are given wide ranging powers under them including the power of arrest without warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

cathy01 wrote: »
    Today, to be very honest I called over a young child and told him I would muder his Dog if he was in my garden poohing again.

threatening to murder dogs?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sueandjoe

maybe the gardi should start issuing asbo's to these thugs?

its ok, the young lad knows me, I murder , ants, cats dogs, bold children :rolleyes: every day.
    Only kidden.
    of course.
    Any way, well see how we get on with the pooh,:)
    cant believe I would ever write that sentance.:ocathy

Advertisement