Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crank shaft sensor/ECU

Options
  • 28-12-2007 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've posted here before. Starter problems with my 99 Hyundai. Took it to one mechanic and he put problem down to starter coming lose and fixed the problem. Then the car continued to have intermittent starting problems with beeping noise, which we put down to immobiliser. Started using Master key and problem abated for a few days. Problem returned, car was turning over alright but no fuel going into engine. Mechanic was stumped after checking sparks, etc. Took to a different mechanic who reckons the problem is the ECU (engine control unit) and may source a new one. He's having an auto-electrician look at it today. I've read online from other Hyundai owners that the problem could be the crank shaft sensor. Has anyone experienced these issues before?

Jake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Yeh I have the same problem with an Alfa 156 at the moment I done some reading on the Alfa owners forum and it turns out the same symptoms and the same guess at the cause, it can cut out for no reason and just wont restart for a while then if I come back to it five or ten minutes later it starts no bother.
    Its getting changed early next week.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Has the car actually been diagnosed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Does the check engine light come on when the ignition key is turned to the "on" position? If not, then you need to get a diagnostic test done and see if that gives a DTC. Could also be that the ECU isn't powering up properly.

If the check engine light does come on check the fuel pump. At the fuel pump, check for power and ground at the connector when you attempt to start the vehicle. If you've got power and ground and the pump doesn't run, then the problem is with the pump assembly.
    If it's not the fuel pump it could be a loose ground bolt, a cut wire, a malfunctioning fuel pump relay, a faulty ignition switch, or a faulty ECU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

Mechanic has done diagnostic and says its definitely the ECU. Do cars perform well after ECU is replaced?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the ECU is replaced then it is simply a case of replacing a broken item with a working one and there wouldn't be any performance gains. The car should return to normal performance (unless there are other issues with it).

• Advertisement
Advertisement