Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another NCT question!

Options
  • 28-12-2007 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

Just before xmas got my car NCTed.I knew there were a few things at fault but decided to put it through regardless.
    I was surprised with what the guy failed it on.

My adjustable steering wheel was loose/moveable. Now I couldnt find anything that says that this is a failure. The mechanic who services the car has never heard of this before!!!!!

It failed because the tester could not see the spare wheel (it is safely secured in the cage underneath the car) and put down down on the test sheet Spare wheel obstructed.I was told that the spare wheel has to be taken out and put in the boot (where it has the possibility of becoming a missile as it is an mpv with no seperate boot.).Again my mechyy was a bit astounded but told me that a few weeks ago a car of his failed because of a space saver spare wheel but he replaced it with a 5 stud wheel when his car had 4 stud wheels fitted and passed so nothing is beyond the nct!!!!

It needed the brake lines replaced which is no problem.I was also aware that at least 1 of the bushes on the wishbone needed replacing as it was obvious there were on there way out BUT the tester did not fail or even mention this.My mechyy was astounded by this as it was on the list of things to do but we didnt get a chance to do it.

Can i get the test redone in a different centre to the last one or do I have to return to original test centre.

My thoughts are on the validity of the test and not the state of my car!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

bcmf wrote: »
    It failed because the tester could not see the spare wheel (it is safely secured in the cage underneath the car) and put down down on the test sheet Spare wheel obstructed.I was told that the spare wheel has to be taken out and put in the boot (where it has the possibility of becoming a missile as it is an mpv with no seperate boot.).
    Hmmmm... interesting.
    I'll be getting a car with no spare wheel whatsoever tested early next month, I'm now looking forward to what they'll say to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeh, thats silly

What if you have run flat tyres ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A spare is NOT necessary for the test. If one is present then the tester must check the restraints only!
    http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

So judging by the pdf manual they were wrong to fail on the spare wheel.

For the record it was a suitability test for psv (Taxi) so it is stricter but in general same rules apply.

Advertisement