Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power failure on Northside last night

Options
  • 28-12-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what caused the power-failure last night around 11.20pm?
    It lasted about an hour and seemed to affect areas from Caherdavin to Thomondgate, Clareview and the Ennis Road areas.
    Hardly weather-related as there was no lightning activity at that time as far as I know.

John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

tippman1 wrote: »
    Anyone know what caused the power-failure last night around 11.20pm?
    It lasted about an hour and seemed to affect areas from Caherdavin to Thomondgate, Clareview and the Ennis Road areas.
    Hardly weather-related as there was no lightning activity at that time as far as I know.

John.

i'd love to know the reason, got stuck in work when it happened! apparently it was all the way out past cratloe and6 ile bridge too!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

The power went down in Castletroy last night too at about 5:30 for an hour....don't know why though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Was down in Annacotty around 5:30 as well - on the radio it said that it was a failure in the Castletroy Power Station

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Not surprising considering the ridiculous amount of lights that are running in some houses. Surely if they were nice they'd be up all year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Local Radio today said the Castletroy loss was due to a sub-station fault and the Northside outage was weather related - btw, they also mentioned only affected 500 houses, this is surely understated. All of Kileely, Ballynanty, Moyross, Eninis Road (except near the maternity), Shelbourne Rd, and possibly Caherdavin and Mayorstone were out and there must be a lot more than 500 houses in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I live in Meelick......went at around that time for around a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

phog wrote: »
    Local Radio today said the Castletroy loss was due to a sub-station fault and the Northside outage was weather related - btw, they also mentioned only affected 500 houses, this is surely understated. All of Kileely, Ballynanty, Moyross, Eninis Road (except near the maternity), Shelbourne Rd, and possibly Caherdavin and Mayorstone were out and there must be a lot more than 500 houses in that area.

nope power was out there too...really wierd!

power went low and the computer went on standby, street lights went, all the lights dimmed, but the TV was fine...then about 10 minutes later the whole lot went for about 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Living out in Clonmacken and our power went too, must of been all the northside!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There was no lights from Pier One out to the Coonagh Roundabout, with the exception of the Maternity Hospital and the traffic lights there at the Hilton. Also the Jetland must have been running on its own generator, that whole place was lit up.

Was I the only one who enjoyed being able to sit in the dark with only candle-light..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I would have loved a power cut. Ye northsiders get everything! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

We lost power for over 3 hours on St. Stephens day ...... :rolleyes:

mind you .... just a few years ago we lost it on Christmas eve and didn't get it back for 4 days ..... that was certainly a different Christmas ..... most of the neighbours just packed up and went off to places like Dublin .... :(

Advertisement