Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High tides

Options
  • 28-12-2007 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

Watch where you park your cars people!

(Dollymount yesterday)

car1low.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Brilliant!
    I'd say you had hours of fun watching them try to get out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Felt sorry for them! Both country reg's, probably not aware of the tide and didn't notice the full moon lately! There was waves rushing under the cars as I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have zero sympathy for people stupid enough to park cars in such a situation, let alone one that involves corroding salt water!

Ah Ned, your a heartless mini lover....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

lightening wrote: »
    Felt sorry for them! Both country reg's, probably not aware of the tide and didn't notice the full moon lately! There was waves rushing under the cars as I left.
    No sympathy here!
    1. why would you bring your car onto a beach? There are environmental issues as well as petrolhead issues here.
    2. why would you park somewhere where your only escape route slowly closes you in?
    3. how did the owners explain this to their partners when they returned home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

HAHAHA, If the cars floated into the sea it would have been a great christmas present :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Ok it wasn't the smartest thing to do but everyone makes mistakes.

OP, were the owners anywhere to be seen? I would've at least helped them try to dig them out. The decent thing to do. Definitely looks like a tractor job.

Brian

I was there again this morning. There was big holes where the wheels were, so they must have been dug out. There was no tractors around when I was there yesterday.

I have seen cars being swallowed by the sea on Dollymount. I surfed by the roof of a silver 03 golf last year, you should have seen the car when the tide went out again, every panel bashed in, every window smashed, the car was totally destroyed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thats why you need one of these:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ffs, I don't live anywhere near Dublin and i still hear about cars getting stuck at Dollymount enough times per year to know better than to bloody park there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I see the Lexus has its mirror retracted, was the driver expecting traffic to be passing while in the sea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Sounds like a very lucky escape so. Now if they did the same again, that would be idiotic.
    I was there again this morning. There was big holes where the wheels were, so they must have been dug out. There was no tractors around when I was there yesterday.

More silly stuff. Photographed this a few years ago in Clontarf, looks like the beamer drove up the lovely old Alfas wheel...

back.jpg

front.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

cant understand this
    why did she need to be rescued ?
    why didnt she just get out of the car and walk inland instead of waiting for the tide to come in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

green123 wrote: »
    cant understand this
    why did she need to be rescued ?
    why didnt she just get out of the car and walk inland instead of waiting for the tide to come in ?

Cause she was a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Cause she was a woman

Unfortunately this is probably true. It's not like the water became too deep in a matter of seconds. If the water is reaching your wheels, get out like...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Maybe it was because she had two young kids in the car, and couldn't carry them over the soft sand? She was hardly going to leave them behind

And yes, the water could come in very fast indeed. A few seconds could make the difference between being dry and flooded on a flat beach like Bettystown. Remember, the water of an incoming tide isn't just sitting on top of the sand, it's under the surface of the sand too. So not only does the sand become saturated (and therefore difficult to walk on) before it gets submerged, but low lying pockets can get flooded before the tide "comes in" as such, the water seeping up from below rather than coming in from the open sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

More silly stuff. Photographed this a few years ago in Clontarf, looks like the beamer drove up the lovely old Alfas wheel...

front.jpg

Looks like the BMW is trying to hump the Nissan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've been looking at that for a few minutes wondering how the hell it was acheived without significant sheet metal damage to the side of one of/both cars. And how it managed to get enough force to mount the car and yet stop so perfectly... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

At least 10 BMW drivers should be shot in cold blood and with extreme prejudice in retribution for one of their kind doing that to a poor alfa. If however the Nissan is damaged it may be taken as a mitigating factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

As I've explained before, BMW's being superior cars are entitled to park wherever they like so this car was entitled to park exactly where it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Felt sorry for them! Both country reg's

Is Limerick no longer a city, or just the wrong city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

Watch where you park your cars people!

(Dollymount yesterday)
    Those rocks are placed to show people the safe limit to park on the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

sesswhat wrote: »
    Country reg = not Dublin.

sesswhat wrote: »

I was just trying to point out the reg's indicated they were not from the area, didn't mean to hurt your sensitive feelings! :rolleyes:

I was just trying to point out the reg's indicated they were not from the area, didn't mean to hurt your sensitive feelings! :rolleyes:

I prefer using the terminology "non-jackeen" reg myself. :D

maidhc wrote: »
    I prefer using the terminology "non-jackeen" reg myself. :D

Just noticed, the beamer destroying the lovely old Alfa is another "non-Dub reg"! I always give non- Dublin reg cars a chance in Dublin, its a poxy city to drive in, and its really badly signposted... I will give them a good bit more leeway in future!

Just noticed, the beamer destroying the lovely old Alfa is another "non-Dub reg"! I always give non- Dublin reg cars a chance in Dublin, its a poxy city to drive in, and its really badly signposted... I will give them a good bit more leeway in future!

Going off topic here, but I think Dublin is alright to drive in. Cork is a problem. I have lived in Cork for over 25 years, and the traffic system still confuses me. The city council also change the direction of the streets every so often too to keep you on your toes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement