Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs Fundraising ideas?

Options
  • 28-12-2007 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey all,

We have been trying to come up with some good ideas to raise some money for our debs, anyone have any good fundraidising ideas??

Chica

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm sure if you divide the cost by everyone who's going (and then multiply by 2 because you can't expect the person you're bringing to pay) it will be very affordable, if not...it's over extravagant! Besides most kids parents pay for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Babysitting is a good one,collect old console games from house to house and trade them it,a sponsered walk maybe,a bake sale ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Charge everyone who buys a ticket....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think fundraising is normally for some kind of charity... surely everyone can scrape together enough money to buy their own ticket(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

In the school I was in we just all paid. However we paid for 4 months, as in it was split by 4 so it didn't seem such a big deal. Worked a treat!

• Advertisement

Prostitution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Am I picking you up wrong or do you expect people to donate money to a very large piss-up? (it's a great night ou don't get me wrong but it's hardly a worthy cause)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

How about you decide on the appropriate cost of a ticket (and multiply by two for the date) and take that as your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Tickets.. surely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The tickets are about 60-70euro in our school for 2, whats wrong with buying feckin tickets rather than scrapping togethr all your pennies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

timmywex wrote: »
    The tickets are about 60-70euro in our school for 2, whats wrong with buying feckin tickets rather than scrapping togethr all your pennies?

haha, in my school they're €90 EACH.
    Deadline for deposit of €30 each has already passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Ours were €70 (or €75, I can't remember exactly) each, and it all had to be paid in one go........normally in past years it was spread out over a good while, but our year liked to do things differently. We didn't get that much notice either.

EDIT: Fundraising eh?..........no.........As Sean K said, it's a great night, but something that should come not be helped along by other people. Your own pocket should foot the bill-and after the extras it will be a big bill, but that's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

In our school every year the 6th years organise a non-uniform day. we have a few of these throughout the year where people have to bring in like 5euro for charity and we have one for the Debs.
    Nobody really minds paying it because when it comes their turn as 6th years then their debs cost won't be so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

Around our area we do nights out, mostly, get a DJ for a certain pub and have a certain theme for the night. People that come dressed up get in for €3, people who don't about €5. We've also been collecting €2 a week from the year so we can pay stuff off.

I understand what people are saying about not wanting others to pay for " a very large piss up", but still. If we can have a good few nights beforehand and raise the money ourselves rather than paying an absurd lump sum at the end of the year, what's the harm? And believe me, trying to organise it you have to think about a lot more than just the price of the tickets! Even if you get a reasonable deal on the tickets themselves (ours were €45) you've got the hotel deposit, the band, photographer, bus and most likely bouncers as well. For a big year dividing that out is probably fine, but we've only got 58, plus past students that we have to invite (who really can't be expected to pay for a ticket, come on). It's easier to have some sort of fundraiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There's only about 60 in my year, our tickets are costing 80 euro each, which is expensive enough alright, but that's all costs included, coach, band, security etc., the only thing it doesn't include is photo prints. What's the price of the ticket going towards if it ISN'T the rent of the hotel/the food/etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nikkio237 wrote: »
    I understand what people are saying about not wanting others to pay for " a very large piss up", but still. If we can have a good few nights beforehand and raise the money ourselves rather than paying an absurd lump sum at the end of the year, what's the harm? And believe me, trying to organise it you have to think about a lot more than just the price of the tickets! Even if you get a reasonable deal on the tickets themselves (ours were €45) you've got the hotel deposit, the band, photographer, bus and most likely bouncers as well. For a big year dividing that out is probably fine, but we've only got 58, plus past students that we have to invite (who really can't be expected to pay for a ticket, come on). It's easier to have some sort of fundraiser.

Why do the past students get it for free? It's not like they are celebrities coming to make a presentation surely? they should feel priveleged to be invited back by their year.

To the OP. Have a vote within your LC year and form a committee. The committe is responsible for everything, they book the hotel, band, DJ, buses, etc etc get total cost. Split it between however many people are going. In my experience it never works out at more than 60-70 per ticket. I really don't see what the big deal is with fundraising, when it could be paid of for as little as €10 per month per student. It's what most schools do. I don't see why anyone else should have to support LC students going on the piss, if they want to go they should pay for it themselves. It's not like they can't afford to go drinking on a regular weekend or pay for phone credit etc

This is what the LC students in my school every year and there are no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

Our tickets cost us €60 and they could have cost less because we got a well known band and travelled about 40 miles away! We organised non uniform days, secret love hearts at valentines day....best idea ever btw and also asked everyone for €10 at the start of the year to get the ball rolling....turned ot perfect in the end and we also paid for tickets for the people who had dropped out from our year!! Nobody ever complains about the price of tckets in our school because they know you've to pay money for a once off brilliant night!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

Why do the past students get it for free? It's not like they are celebrities coming to make a presentation surely? they should feel priveleged to be invited back by their year.

To the OP. Have a vote within your LC year and form a committee. The committe is responsible for everything, they book the hotel, band, DJ, buses, etc etc get total cost. Split it between however many people are going. In my experience it never works out at more than 60-70 per ticket. I really don't see what the big deal is with fundraising, when it could be paid of for as little as €10 per month per student. It's what most schools do. I don't see why anyone else should have to support LC students going on the piss, if they want to go they should pay for it themselves. It's not like they can't afford to go drinking on a regular weekend or pay for phone credit etc

This is what the LC students in my school every year and there are no problems.

That's just the decision the year made, to bring them back for a night. We do know they're not celebrities, it's just what we decided.

How many people are in people's years that they can bring in €10 a month and have it paid off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Nikkio237 wrote: »
    How many people are in people's years that they can bring in €10 a month and have it paid off?

That sounds like a logistical nightmare to me for the organisers.

Advertisement