Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

career guidance/secondary teaching

• 28-12-2007 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I completed a degree in social science in UCD followed by a postgrad higher diploma in HRM from NCI and have been working in the Human Resources field for the last 5 years. Over the course of the last 2 years i have become involved in training and completed cert in training and am currently completing a diploma in lifecoaching. Bascially i am looking for a move from HR and am very interested in Career Guidance. I have some questions re career guidance & secondary school teaching - if would be grateful if anyone can shed some light on this topic for me.....
    1. To become a secondary school teacher i understand i need to be able to teach at least 2 subjects to LC level which i should have studied to degree level (my degree would only entitle me to study CSPE according to PAC website?) can i do hdip in career guidance in UL and then do hdip in education?

Basically i am trying to establish if i need to be a qualified secondary school teacher before i do hdip in career guidance and if so do i have to go back and do another degree to give me subjects to teach?
    Are there jobs for teachers who only teach career guidance or is it more of an additional subject that existing teachers take on?
    Would there be demand for a career guidance and CSPE teacher?

I love career guidance and it is an aspect of my current job that i enjoy alot and i would love a full-time position in it? any other options open to me?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

I believe you are inaccurate to say that you need to be able to teach two subjects on the curriculum to be eligible to pursue teaching. From what I saw on the PAC website it is only one subject that is required for eligilibility for the PGD in Education. Of course subsequent employment with just the one subject is another matter.

Depending on what you covered/majored in in your Social Science degree subjects such as Economics and Geography may be open to you.

Hopefully others will be able to answer the rest of your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dvir

hi
    i am a guidance consellor working in a secondary school. firstly you dont need to be a qualified teacher to do the course. (5 on my course 2005 were not teachers, NUI Maynooth) however, you will find it difficult to get a full time position without a teaching qualiification. the V.E. Cs can give you a full time permanent position without a teachers qualification i believe.Also secondary school are in a position to employ someone part time but not full time without the teaching qualification. Contact the NCGE or Institute of Guidance Counsellors for details. However, the job has changed considerably in the last 10 years,a greater emphasis is on counselling and it can make up the majority of your day to day job... depending where you get a job. There are increasing opportunities in the adult guidance sector working in conjunction with other agencies...fas etc and also at third level.
    good luck,given your other qualification in life coaching i would say you stand a very good chance of getting offered the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭escape

Many thanks for the replys - much appreciated. it is so helpful to get information from experienced people like yourself!

Cheers

Advertisement