Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pot Hole in Bray

Options
  • 28-12-2007 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Anyone travelling to Bray yesterday evening at 7-8pm will have noticed a large pothole in the road on Killarney Rd near the Statoil. At least six cars were involved in minor incidents, rear end collisions, blow outs in a matter of minutes around 8pm. The hole was not marked properly and in the dark and wet conditions was hard to avoid. I wrecked my tyre and wheel in it as did a few others. i rang the Garda and they already knew about it and said it was a council issue but they were sending a car anyway. Today I rang Bray council and they said to send receipts for claim to the road sectiom, Bray town council. Just in case any others on here did same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Ah Killarney road is quite common for potholes but is this just a new big one?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Trev C

Where is the StatOil on the Killarney Road?? Is it the Hills of Bray garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Trev C wrote: »
    Where is the StatOil on the Killarney Road?? Is it the Hills of Bray garage?
    yeh that's the same garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Yup!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Ah Killarney road is quite common for potholes but is this just a new big one?
    Yes. A particularly big one. Drove by today and a large patch of tarmac covered the spot. Wouldn't be surprised if todays showers wash it away though. It was on the left hand side driving towards Bray just before Saran Wood. All the damaged cars were in Saran wood and the graveyard carpark further down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Anyone travelling to Bray yesterday evening at 7-8pm will have noticed a large pothole in the road on Killarney Rd near the Statoil. At least six cars were involved in minor incidents, rear end collisions, blow outs in a matter of minutes around 8pm. The hole was not marked properly and in the dark and wet conditions was hard to avoid. I wrecked my tyre and wheel in it as did a few others. i rang the Garda and they already knew about it and said it was a council issue but they were sending a car anyway. Today I rang Bray council and they said to send receipts for claim to the road sectiom, Bray town council. Just in case any others on here did same.

Where did it suddenly originate from. Was there a mini collapse.?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I thought if it's caused by nature the council aren't responsible?

cormie wrote: »

Why did you think that. Too much scarecrow and Mrs King. No I think that just applies to acts of God in certain Insurance policies. The council are the frontline civies protecting us from noxious weeds and sprawling masses of cabbages and overhanging branches on secondary roads. I mean that basically is their job, Like cop on man!. If a dangerous tree in the county scares you its the council you call. You should join the county council.

Was that a response to my question:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Pirelli, tone down the sarcasm.

• Advertisement

pirelli wrote: »
    Why did you think that. Too much scarecrow and Mrs King. No I think that just applies to acts of God in certain Insurance policies. The council are the frontline civies protecting us from noxious weeds and sprawling masses of cabbages and overhanging branches on secondary roads. I mean that basically is their job, Like cop on man!. If a dangerous tree in the county scares you its the council you call. You should join the county council.

Was that a response to my question:confused:

I suppose it was Cormie and I was unaware you worked in the county council.

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:-A6fgP6Rm24J:www.braywatch.com/Town/Neglect.html+wicklow+county+council+responsibilities&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=uk

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:XCcOC60Vs68J:www.wicklow.ie/environment/Guidance%2520for%2520the%2520Public%2520when%2520making%2520a%2520complaint.doc+wicklow+county+council+responsibilities&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

They most certainly are responsible for acts of nature and are liable of they do not safeguard public property and maintain amenities that could lead to damage of private property or enterprise and there are statutory duties available to them to exercise and oversee any such task or project.

Thanks for clearing that up ;)

No need to be telling me to cop on for asking a simple question though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC the council aren't responsible until it's reported.

IIRC the council aren't responsible until it's reported.

Then how do people sue the council when they trip on a crooked pavement.?
    I am sure it is more aggravating when a problem has been reported many times which is a danger to the public is neglected although the council are expected to forsee acts of nature such as falling rocks or flooding etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Thanks for the debate lads. Got my cheque today. Tyre and tracking.

Advertisement