Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing a car home from a year abroad

Options
  • 28-12-2007 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi,

Am contemplating moving to one of the Channel Islands for work for a year or so. Was hoping to pick up a really nice motor out there (no VAT) and bring it home. There are a load of nice cars on the web in this particular place for about 10k but was thinking about spending big with the idea of selling once I get home. Was looking at a 2007 BMW 330d M Sport with all the trimmings, going for £27k over there. Checked against Carzone and the price over here seems to be about €60k or so. Anyone have some recommendations for me? Are there specific marques that I should look at that command over-the-top prices in Ireland?

Cheers,
    Dex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Normally you would have to pay VRT when you import a car into Ireland. On the car in your example worth €60k in Ireland, this would amount to €18k. You can avoid paying VRT, but you need to own the car for at least 6 months over there and you need to be able to prove it

When you bring the car back home, you are not allowed to sell it for another 12 months, otherwise you still have to pay the VRT

Also see the sticky on top of the forum for the new VRT / tax regime!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Will he not be hit for VAT aswell seeing as no VAT is being paid.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Stekelly wrote: »
    Will he not be hit for VAT aswell seeing as no VAT is being paid.?

No - the car is counted as part of his personal posessions which he is freely allowed to repatriate. Well worth spending big money on a car while abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yes, but you need to have residency and payslips, rental agreement and receipts. Just living there and being non resident is not enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

Well I will be living there for at least a year and getting paid by the company over there in Stg. I will have proof of residency and pay slips etc. Didn't know about the rule where I need to hold onto the car for 12 months when I come back. Thanks for your help folks.

All i need to do is decide on a car I guess...

• Advertisement
Advertisement