Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve Dublin

Options
  • 28-12-2007 1:50pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What are your plans for New Years eve...?I am just going to have a few mates around and have a few beers (its very hard to get babysitters) nothing special.Anyway this got me thinking how crap New Years Eve is here well in Dublin anyway.

Nothing is planed by the council or no big shows,I have spent 3/4 New Years Eve in Liverpool and it just has a much better feel.I also spent one in New York and that was amazing.

For a country that prides itself on been a party destination we are very slack when it come to this night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Dinner and drinks in a friends place (they have a baby).

St Patricks day and New years eve have to be the worst nights ever. I love going out in Dublin but I avoid town like the plague on these nights. I don't really know why this is. Do people go out to early to "get a seat" and end up too drunk? Under age drinking seems to be ignored as well, lots of little toe rags out on the slosh. They can't seem to handle their booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

New Years Eve is always **** in Dublin. I just don't think we do "planned" piss ups very well here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Also depending on where you live it's fairly impossible to get home.

a few years ago my friends went into town on Halloween night, didn't get back to Bray until nearly 6 after leaving the club they were in early to get a taxi... it really really puts me off the idea of town!!

i'm also considering having a few people over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm getting out of Dublin as quick as possible. I did NYE in Dublin for a few years and it was such a complete and total ripoff i.e. €20/30 fee into a pub that you go to every week and is normally free.

I love living in Dublin but as another poster said NYE and St. Patricks Day are the worst days to be in the city.

I think since 1999 and 2000 NYEs and the awful opportunism of the pubs and clubs by charging extortionate prices for a sh1t night most people have gotten the hell out of Dublin ever since, teenagers and early 20's aside.
    House parties and renting houses down the country are probably the most popular things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Starts tomorrow @7pm until Tuesday night- 8 girls + 22 diff bottles (vodka, champagne, whiskey, Absinth, Polish vodka) the list is endless

NO COMPLAINTS!!!! No need to go to any pub-too expensive, just sit in at home and get wasted :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've got some friends flying in to visit us for a few days. Haven't a clue what to do with them, but I had guessed that heading into town on Monday night would be a bad idea.

House party...McGowans....House Party.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

out to the parents house. I know what you mean about new years, its crap in Dublin.

I have been in Berlin, Jamacia, Melbourne and Malaysia for new years, which were brilliant. Dublin City Council should be ashamed of themselves. My friend from Manchester wanted to come over for new years eve, i had to tell her it was crap and there was no point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

House party. Most comfortable, cheap and local option.

Also, does anyone know if the shops in the city centre are opening as normal on the 31st, or Sunday hours??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

SexyD4Lady wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know if the shops in the city centre are opening as normal on the 31st, or Sunday hours??
    There seemed to be quite a few of the shops open along Grafton Street when I walked down there a bit ago, not many people about at that time but I'd guess they will all be shutting up early this afternoon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

What time will the last orders in pubs be at tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

:D

I think most people are staying at home or just going to the local for a few. I did NYE in town a few years back, it was a nightmare. But a year or two ago I was in Germany for NYE (called Silvester over there) and its totally different. A big party out in the square of the town I was in with lots of fireworks and people walking around drinking (legal there). Lots of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

traceybere wrote: »

Oh fantastic (normal hours so) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Dublin is one of the worst citys in the world for New years.Ive been in Amsterdam,New york,Toronto,bogata,Miami,london,liverpool and a couple of other places on the big nite and they really are great for partying on the nite.Dublin is once again tonight proving it's title to be to true.Rip off capital of Europe:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I hate being out on new years eve, drunken a**holes everywhere falling all over ya. Whats the bid deal, its just another night?

Advertisement