Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMware certification

Options
  • 28-12-2007 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi,
    I hope to become a VCP in 2008 sometime once I have completed my final EMC Symmetrix exam. I have no hands on experience at the moment but I am hoping that will change soon. I know the fundamentals of VMware and was hoping to set up a lab environment in work. I know I need to complete the intructor led course first but realistically do I need much hands on experience for this exam? Are there simulators or is it all multiple choice questions? Is there more work involved than a common MCP? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Its definitely an easy exam for someone who is working with VI on a daily basis, if not then yes it'll probably be a bit harder... I'd say give it two months of installing/configuring/using VI and the study will be so much easier (most of the simpler stuff you can just skip).
    The course alone isn't enough to pass, can't say that enough, you really have to read all of the relevant VMware PDFs and whitepapers to pick out the little nuances that tend to crop up in exams, the main thing I'd reccomend knowing inside-out is the reccomended, default and maximum values (i.e. partition sizes, max num of vnics, max VMFS sizes etc. etc.) .. simple to learn and worth 4 or 5 questions.
    Things like VCB, clustering etc. will only be one or two questions and you only really need to know the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Raul

Thanks Kali for the quick response. I figured I'd need hands on but was hoping to hear different :) Is it all multiple choice questions? What is the pass rate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Pass rates pretty low.. think its 70/75%? And yep all multiple choice... no real tricky questions designed to trip you up either (say like Cisco tend to put in)

edit... I presume they'll be updating their certifications to 3.5 at some stage, but I wouldn't worry too much about it as it's only been released for less than a month (and the uptake on major version changes on production vmware systems is quite slow).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Raul

Thanks Kali

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aido77

Just done this and passed, Was straight forward enough, BUT the exam is changing on the 1st of march VMware ESX Server 3.5 and Virtual Center 2.5
    See the following link:
    http://mylearn1.vmware.com/portals/certification/

• Advertisement
Advertisement