Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Limerick people anti Dublin?

Options
  • 28-12-2007 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

There seems to be a serious "anti-Dublin" feeling in the city. Why?
    its like as soon as someone is identified as a jackeen there are automatic suspicions and a genuine dis like. I have noticed this a lot as my cousins are Dubs and any time they come down here they get genuine hostility due to their accent. i feel terrible then.
    I cant understand it, People here give out about the "dublin media" but do they realise 99% of that media are from outside Dublin but happen to work there. People say Dublin gets this Dublin gets that, course they do.....its the capital...its the same everywhere.....
    It cant be a sport rivalry as we are useless at football and they are useless at hurling, and as for the Leinster team, well only 3 of them are from Dublin. If BOD was from Galway we would all love him, but cos he is a Dub he is disliked..??
    The Limerick media especially a certain paper, not the leader, is VERY anti Dublin and it comes across to me as pathetic and insular in the extreme.
    Any time i go to Dublin and people figure out i am from Limerick, i get a slagging, but its always just that, a slagging. Its not personal and just messing. Dubs to me are on the whole, apart from D4 knobs, a real sound honest to god kinda people and i dont get this anti dublin agenda down here whatsoever. But people here seem to hold a genuine dislike and mistrust of anyone atall with a bit of a howaya accent and its really sad and embarassing if you ask me, I would have more time for a genuine normal Dub than i would have for a lot of people in this country, including many in this city.
    Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well I disagree with one thing anyway, if someone was from Galway it wouldnt make a difference, if anything I like Galway less than Dublin.

But personally I've nothing against the Dubs, I go by people not where they come from, A argument I've used with friends when there going on about the Brits.

Though im sure some on this board would not be a huge fan of the dubs because of all the negative media THEY spread around about us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

see huge 1 this is what I am talking about
    u said "Though im sure some on this board would not be a huge fan of the dubs because of all the negative media THEY spread around about us"
    this is what i mean, when u say "they" u mean the Dublin media.......90% of them are not Dubs! Thew worst of them is Paul Williams, he is from Leitrim! Do u see what i mean, because they work for the "dublin media" they are seen as dubs......its a myth!! They are not Dubs! And they are certainly not representative of anto and deco from Crumlin and Ballyfermot! Dublin people would have a lot more time for Limerick people than Cork, I can tell u to chalk that down!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I'm a through and through Dub and been seeing a limerick local for nearly 2 yrs now and i haven't come across anti dub behaviour all the time i've been down.
    There is the constant slagging of accents (dublin scagger or d4 of which i've neither) but in fairness he does get the limerick slagging when up in dublin.
    Placid on ur D4 knobs thing - i've seen the Limerick version and my god they are worse!!

I would however be curious to know other people opinions - why ppl would be anti Dub?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd say that the anti Diblin feeling here in Limerick is no worse if even as bad as the anti-"country" ****e that some Dubs spout.

I wouldn't be anti-Dublin unless a particular Dub gives me a reason to be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

OP,the reason is that old thing of 'beyond the Pale'.Lets face it,Dubs do rip the piss out of everyone else.I have nothing against the majority of Dubs,just those people(just look at some boardsies)who are pro-Dublin,anti-Culchie.You see it everywhere,jokes about Limerick etc and I am tired of it,as well as the rest of Limerick.I'm not anti-Dub,just anti-'rip the piss out of Stab City'..so obviously I'm going to get pissed off at people who look down on Limerick...and it is important to note that it is not just the Dubs,people from all over Ireland rip the piss out of Limerick,but that doesn't mean I am against anyon not from Limerick,just against those who slag it over and over..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Jesus no!
    I love Dublin!

and anyway...the majority of dublin journalists aren't from Dublin.
    They just live and work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I am living here 40 years , worked as a back store man in a busy Limerick wholesaler with a lot of deliveries from Dublin , have cousins living in Dublin , have a sister and a sister in law living in Dublin , and neither I nor they are aware of any general anti dub feeling in Limerick .

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

i dont see what you're talking about really..you just seem to like a whinge OP.sure people slag the "d4" and "bleedin' deadly" stereotype but ive yet to talk to anyone who actually dislikes dubliners. its not like dublin only has those two 'kinds' of people, its just they are the prominent ones...

i think you'll find that in most countries you're going to have people slagging off the capital/biggest city. here, the biggest city isnt the capital but it's slagged off no end..people from auckland are called JAFA's (just another effing aucklander)..its just one of those things..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I reckon it's all in your head. Every county on this island has its own stereotypes and clichéed jokes, once somebody hears an accent its pretty much expected that jokes will start flying. In general that's all it is, jokes. Obviously you'll come across the odd tosser here and there who take it too far, but that's not just a Limerick thing.

Ya I agree with most of the comments, like An Fhile said everyone has some stereotype perception of different places on this island,

Who can't help but see Mayo as country? (not saying they are or anything)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

im a Limerick local, however saying that, i have in the region of 25 or so friends living in Dublin, some from ballymun, some from 'south side' and i really dont mind their accents, but its just the D4 accent i just cant stand..trust me, im not on my own when i say this..its an infectous accent, spreading accross the country coz every1 on the tele and radio is from there. even the dubs (north and south side) hate that accent. so if anyone can say that a limerick accent is worse than that..please..dont waist your breath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Nah i dont think limerick people are anti dublin at all, people just have a bit of craic with the "ah feckin dubs" and they would reply "bleedin culchies", its just irish nature, nothing serious!

Anyway ive been living there for the past few months, and there is nothing there that would make me dislike the people from there, there all pretty sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i think most peoples problem with dubliners is that dubs assume if its outside dublin city then the country is full of slack jawed farmers, as if dublin was new york city or something, the pinnacle of irish society, i have a few friends from dublin who call me a culchie, i was born and bred in limerick city centre, never lived in the country in my life!
    heres a perfect example of dubs attitude to the rest of the country, i work in a call centre and had a call from a woman in D4 one day, i needed to call her back on a landline for something so she just gave me (obviously not the real number) 123458, when i asked was that a dublin number, as in an 01 extension before it she replied "sure where else would it be?" oh thats right sure nobody outside dublin has a phone i forgot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

krudler wrote: »
    i think most peoples problem with dubliners is that dubs assume if its outside dublin city then the country is full of slack jawed farmers, as if dublin was new york city or something, the pinnacle of irish society, i have a few friends from dublin who call me a culchie, i was born and bred in limerick city centre, never lived in the country in my life!
    heres a perfect example of dubs attitude to the rest of the country, i work in a call centre and had a call from a woman in D4 one day, i needed to call her back on a landline for something so she just gave me (obviously not the real number) 123458, when i asked was that a dublin number, as in an 01 extension before it she replied "sure where else would it be?" oh thats right sure nobody outside dublin has a phone i forgot!

If you knew she was from D4 then why ask if it was 01?
    I haven't come across much in the way of an anti-Dublin feeling or an anti-Limerick feeling in Dublin.There is no doubt a bit of harmless slagging etc but nothing too serious.My mother is from Dublin and we always have a bit of a laugh at some of her pronunciations and little colloquialisms but it's just some fun.There are small amounts of people everywhere who are, seemingly, anti-everybody and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

As my uncle used to say, a real Dub is one born inside the Five Lamps. The rest are culchies.

So Placid, are your friends real Dubliners or posers?

Shan75 wrote: »
    If you knew she was from D4 then why ask if it was 01?

Just because she has a D4 accent does not mean she lives there by any means.

1huge1 wrote: »
    Just because she has a D4 accent does not mean she lives there by any means.

He said a call from a woman in D4, not one with an accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Shan, quit splitting hairs......part of the issue with Dublin is, in fact, that all of the ad agencies for TV and newspapers couldn't be arsed putting the "01" in adverts, etc; it's the same with the Dublin radio stations - "parade on O'Connell St" does NOT mean Dublin's O'Connell St unless it is specified....there's an "O'Connell St" in Limerick, there's one in Ennis, etc.

I ALWAYS do the exact same to people who ring me from Dublin numbers, but I never have to do it for people who ring me from elsewhere in the country. I wonder why ?

Local radio stations and newspapers can, to an extent, get away with this, because it's their target audience; unfortunately, when people graduate to national radio no-one trains them to do this right....and why not ? Because no-one in Dublin cares enough about their job or reading/listening audience to give a damn about doing it right.

So it's just sloppy, right ? Unfortunately not that simple, and here's the nub of the issue: if there's an incident on O'Connell St in Limerick they won't just say "O'Connell St"; in fact they'll say "Limerick".

So it's naieve to say that it's simply sloppy inconsistency......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Placid Casual

Liam they are some of the stupidest arguments I have ever heard.................!!!
    I wouldnt even know where to start!

And what has this to do with your average Dublin person. Does your argument justify people actually hating a normal every day Dub just because some ad didnt mention 01 at the top of their phone number.....?! Most of those DJ's are also not from Dublin!! Take this as an example. Newstalks daily shows..
    Ger Gilroy from Kildare, Claire Byrne from Laois, Brenda Power from Kilkenny, Orla Barry from Cork, Eamon Keane from Kerry, Sean Moncrief from Galway, George Hook from Cork .....!!!!
    What in gods name are you talking about. I can just imagine what your like. You prob sit there watching any Dublin/Leinster game hoping againt hope they will be beaten.....go on...stuff it to the cocky jackeens.....your exactly the kind of "person" I was talking about.
    Sad

What exactly did I say that irked you so much, "Placid" ?

1) I hate when there are no 01 prefixes in adverts
    2) I hate when Dublin stations mention "O'Connell St", without saying which one
    3) I always ask for the prefix on the 'phone
    4) If there's an incident somewhere in Limerick, they'll always label Limerick, not the street or area

Those are all facts. They are all relevant to the discussion. There are other things that I hate, related to other places and people and walks of life, but those are not relevant to the discussion.

I have nothing against the average Dub, and if you check the thread title you'll see that it says "Are Limerick people anti Dublin ?" not "Are Limerick people anti Dublin people ?" I never said that being anti-Dublin people was justified, I just pointed out that "part of the issue is" and listed some of the attitudes that I hate, and those attitudes - whether they are representative of Dublin or not - exist and are in our face every day, the same as the feud in Limerick will colour other places' opinons of Limerick......should it define it and be the only basis for those opinions ? No, just as my opinions of Dublin are not defined solely by the issues that I posted.
    I can just imagine what your like
    Despite the obvious grammatical error, I think I can see what you meant by that; and (ironically) it means that we are probably polar opposites - I listed actual irritants that contribute to an attitude against Dublin, so you decide to "imagine" what I'm like......I don't tend to "imagine" what a whole person is like based on one particular stance or opinion.....it's a bit like seeing someone's hand and imagining what their whole body is like - kindof impossible, no ?

Anyway, imagine what you want.....I judge people on their actions - no preconceptions as to what they might or might be like, or what I "imagine" they might be like - based on where they're from or whatever.

All of the people you mention might be "from" their respective counties, but they are living in Dublin for years; and while the ads on those stations are the biggest offenders, I have regularly heard Sean Moncrieff say that he was "in town" last night, or a particular concert is on "in town", or whatever, so you can't blame the ad agency or station management for that slip-up.

If an individual Dub is sound to me (e.g. my best friend's husband, or even my ex's brother in law) then fair play; and that's not a surprise or a shock - it's just the same as having a sound or unsound person that you meet in Limerick. Prejudice and disrespect against people is wrong - period - until that specific individual gives you reason to do so.

But the media and ad agencies and call centres are not doing their job properly if they disrespect their target audiences.
    your exactly the kind of "person" I was talking about.

So I've graduated from you "imagining" what I'm like to being representative of a whole group of people that I don't know and might not agree with ? Wow! Some imagination required for that leap! Can I ask if (a) I am exactly the kind of person, or whether you're imagining that too (b) if you think I'm representative of the type of person you imagine you were talking about, or (c) if I'm representative of how you imagine the person you were talking about would be ?
    Sad

When in doubt, throw in a single dismissive word; great scope for discussion there.

• Advertisement

I'm not splitting hairs at all.Quite the opposite in fact.I'm glad to be able to say that I'm not one of these people with a siege mentality worrying about silly little things like phone numbers and whether the radio specifies Dublin when talking about an event that is obvious to the whole country is being held in Dublin.This thing about the media reporting crime in Limerick is very silly.They report crimes everywhere and sometimes things happen in Limerick that need to be reported.It seems to me that people are more concerned about the reporting of incidents rather than the incidents themselves.

Liam they are some of the stupidest arguments I have ever heard.................!!!
    I wouldnt even know where to start!

And what has this to do with your average Dublin person. Does your argument justify people actually hating a normal every day Dub just because some ad didnt mention 01 at the top of their phone number.....?! Most of those DJ's are also not from Dublin!! Take this as an example. Newstalks daily shows..
    Ger Gilroy from Kildare, Claire Byrne from Laois, Brenda Power from Kilkenny, Orla Barry from Cork, Eamon Keane from Kerry, Sean Moncrief from Galway, George Hook from Cork .....!!!!
    What in gods name are you talking about. I can just imagine what your like. You prob sit there watching any Dublin/Leinster game hoping againt hope they will be beaten.....go on...stuff it to the cocky jackeens.....your exactly the kind of "person" I was talking about.
    Sad

Holy Cr@p. I'm sorry dude but you sure are one to jump to conclusions. How the hell is that "anti-Dublin". Seriously, tell me exactly how.What exactly did Liam say to make you flip out so much? He's stating what happens. Plain and simple. Radio Station managers of stations based in Dublin forget sometimes that people from outside Dublin listen to them. Especially the RTE stations I'd say. If you listen to a Dublin based/Dublin broadcast station via the internet then yeah, you probably shouldnt expect them to be nationwide specific. (Just to clarify, when I say you...I mean a general you). Yes, reporters/Djs/whoever may not neccessarily be Dublin born and bred, but they work for Dublin based media companies. Simple yes?

Since you're new to Boards, here's a bit of advice. Don't post inflammatory posts on here and then expect people to agree with you..and yeah, I do think this is inflammatory because of the relationship Limerick has with Dublin based anything. It's just a fact (at the moment). If you want to post and then expect people to agree with you, get a blog. That's what they're for. I heartily endorse blogs! Because thats where you can vent about injustices that you see/think you see.

Also, please try and make your posts a bit more readable. There is a spell check. Line breaks/paragraphs are also your friend as they also make posts more readable.

P.S You never specified who/what/etc Limerick people were 'anti-Dublin' to. IE you simply stated that there was an anti-Dublin sentiment and didn't preclude Dublin based business/media. Nor did you state that you were only talking about supposed bad feeling towards only Dublin residents. Just saying.

I'm not one of these people with a siege mentality worrying about silly little things like phone numbers
    If you owned the company and lost a sale you might be....
    ....and whether the radio specifies Dublin when talking about an event that is obvious to the whole country is being held in Dublin.
    How exactly is it obvious if it isn't stated ?
    This thing about the media reporting crime in Limerick is very silly.They report crimes everywhere and sometimes things happen in Limerick that need to be reported.It seems to me that people are more concerned about the reporting of incidents rather than the incidents themselves.
    You've hit the nail on the head there; crimes DO need to be reported. But they need to be reported consistently and fairly. The opinions that some people have of Limerick are not necessarily their (those people's) own fault, but are formed based on what they have heard and read. Ask yourself why some people think Tallaght or Ballymun or wherever are dodgy and unsafe*, but don't tar Dublin as a whole with that opinion, while people don't seem to differentiate Limerick as a whole from Southill or Moyross* or wherever; it's because of how things are reported.

* And I'm not saying that all of those areas or all of their inhabitants ARE dodgy, just pointing out that that's what people seem to think

Yes, there's a problem in that the crimes do occur, and I've been on numerous radio shows both defending the unfair crap and also criticising Limerick's "head-in-the-sand" / overly-defensive approach, whichever is appropriate to the discussion....

But this thread isn't about Limerick per-se, it's about Limerick people's attitude to Dublin. And looking at it again, the thread title's phrasing probably says it all - it's a closed question which begs a Yes/No answer, rather than being open and facilitating a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

You see, that's just it.

I have no problem with anyone from Dublin, but as with anything else, I can get annoyed.
    I don't hold Dublin people responsible for the often times comical reporting by the Dublin media, but I can't help but get frustrated at times by the fact that the lap it up so readily.

And to highlight the incident Krudler mentioned with the phone number.
    I remember getting a call from a lady at work before where she was giving me her phone number.
    After she had given me the number, I asked her for the area code, which she had omitted.

Her response, "There is no area code it's Dublin"!

When I said so it's 01 then, she said, "no I live in Dublin"!

I had to explain to this woman that Dublin, the county she lived in for the last thirty or so years, did indeed have an area code!!!!!!!!!

Now it's an extreme case, but at best only two thirds of people from Dublin will say 01 while the rest of the country automatically say whichever area code applies to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

He said a call from a woman in D4, not one with an accent.

but she was calling from a mobile phone,and didnt say she was in dublin at the time,we have customers who call in and their home adress is in poland but doesnt mean they're at that exact place

Liam Byrne said
    If you owned the company and lost a sale you might be....
    I had already replied before seeing your reference to company adverts omitting the 01 and thought you were only talking about people leaving it out when giving their number which would not bother me too much.
    How exactly is it obvious if it isn't stated ?

You knew, along with many others, which O'Connell Street the radio presenter was talking about and that's what makes it obvious.Again I take your point though that it shouldn't be obvious but to be honest it just doesn't bother me that much.

I'd be inclined to agree with you regarding the inconsistency in the reporting of crimes between Dublin and probably the rest of the country and definitely Limerick.The only thing really is that Dublin has such a big population and area compared to Limerick that the different areas have to be mentioned.Still though you are correct.They could and should do the same for Limerick.

In conclusion I must say you have made some good points and though I wouldn't agree with everything you say I can understand where you are coming from.Agree regarding the thread title as well but some of us have still managed to have a reasonable discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

People say Dublin gets this Dublin gets that, course they do.....its the capital...its the same everywhere.....

I can see how you might think that but it's not true. Coming from England myself I found Ireland to be very Dublin orientated. Everything is in Dublin and as Liam mentioned there is a media problem. The whole numbers thing is a total mickey take. I highly doubt they leave it out by accident. I've lost count at the number of TV ads I've seen this in. Also the thing with streets like O' Connell street, no, we don't know which street they mean. Are we supposed to just live with the fact that if it's in Dublin there will be no mention of it? Play listen for the city in case it's near us whenever we turn on the radio? After living here for three years even I'm sick of it. It would be nice if Ireland's national broadcaster would include more of Ireland and not just its capital.

The whole crime thing got me as well. I still can't understand what exactly is so bad about Limerick. I'd be more worried walking around Dublin. My first time there someone tried to pick my pocket. They nearly had me too the %@#€;s!

As for Dubs, I've nothing against ye. Not too keen on yer accents though, but you're probably not too keen on mine either. Just for the laugh though, what exactly do you mean by hostility due to their accent? What exactly happened? Directed at the Thread Starter.

Pye wrote: »
    I can see how you might think that but it's not true.

so the fact that a lot of 'things' (media, including filming soaps and the news,gigs/events) are auckland-centric here in NZ isnt true? my bad, i must be lying. it is true of other countries...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

Ellen. The thread starter said "It's the same everywhere". I was merely pointing out that this was not true, at least for England and a couple of other countries I frequent. I can't be expected to know about each and every country and certainly wasn't trying to. I'm sure there are many other places just like Ireland and New Zealand where there is obvious capital city bias and was not trying to dispute that.

Advertisement