Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Limerick people anti Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Pye wrote: »
    Ellen. The thread starter said "It's the same everywhere". I was merely pointing out that this was not true, at least for England and a couple of other countries I frequent. I can't be expected to know about each and every country and certainly wasn't trying to. I'm sure there are many other places just like Ireland and New Zealand where there is obvious capital city bias and was not trying to dispute that.

ok, well dont make blanket statements like "I can see how you might think that but it's not true" and then admit that you dont know about each and every country. 'cause ill point out that you're wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I have found that you do occasionally come across incidents of anti-Dublin bias in opinion pieces in some of the local newspapers. Likewise, when the issue of Aer Lingus dropping the Heathrow slots was making the headlines last summer, I came across a few articles in national newspapers that seemed to be written if not with an anti-Midwest bias, then a skimming over of the facts.

Incidentally, this Christmas I got a present of a book of dispatches by Fergal Keane, the BBC Correspondent. He started his career with the Limerick Leader in 1979.

In a chapter about his time with the Leader, he recalls his first article published with them. His editor, Brendan Halligan, returned his first draft complete with loads of red lines and whole sentences scribbled out. The first sentence had a line going through it; it said: 'The head of the Showband Managers' Federation lashed the government because of proposed restrictions on bar extensions.' When Keane asked his editor what was wrong with it, Halligan responded: 'Did you see any of these showband managers actually hitting a government minister?' Keane said he hadn't. When asked who taught him to use that word, 'lashed', Keane replied he had seen it in a national newspaper. Halligan's response to this, which has a hint of the anti-Dublin element the OP referred to, was:

'Well down here there'll be no lashing. They can lash all they want in Dublin, but not here.'

I find that sort of bias a tad small-minded/chip-on-the-shoulderish. I know that there will be rivalries everywhere, but I don't see the need to have to equate behaviour one objects to to behaviour of people from the rival city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I don't agree with your reading of that, gaf.....it seems to me that the LL editor was only ensuring that facts were reported, and ensuring that his staff avoided emotive or prejudicial wording or phrases.

Replace the word "lashed" with the word "criticised" and you have a factual report.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

ellenmelon wrote: »
    ok, well dont make blanket statements like "I can see how you might think that but it's not true" and then admit that you dont know about each and every country. 'cause ill point out that you're wrong :D

I will most likely ignore you Ellen because I think you are being unreasonable and rude. You know full well what was meant, I need say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I don't agree with your reading of that, gaf.....it seems to me that the LL editor was only ensuring that facts were reported, and ensuring that his staff avoided emotive or prejudicial wording or phrases.

Replace the word "lashed" with the word "criticised" and you have a factual report.

I agree with you Liam, however I was just pointing out that the editor seemed to be insinuating that bad choice of words is a Dublin newspaper habit, not a Limerick one, and if that's not an anti-Dublin bias then what is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

i for one am antidublin...horrible accents and horrible city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bobzi

Its called minnowism and Limerick isnt as bad as some other cities (ie the people's republic of Cork)

I also used to work in a call centre and got loads of abuse off people particularly from Munster about bieng a lazy jackeen. I just dont understand the animosity a minority of people have towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Pye wrote: »
    I will most likely ignore you Ellen because I think you are being unreasonable and rude. You know full well what was meant, I need say no more.

chill out dude, im just winding you up.its just a bit of fun yeah? sorry if you were offended i dont think i was being unreasonable or rude.

Advertisement