Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend PL extraveganza (new year? I spit on your new year)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

mike65 wrote: »
    The boys on fivelive reckon both the first two goals had an element of handball.

Mike.

Well if fivelive say so it must hae been ;)

Absolutely delighted with result, again we were not at our best, but we can't always play Total Football, with Man utd dropping points earlier, 3 points is all that matters, most people fancied Everton coming into the match and said Arsenal could well slip up, Everton are a good team on the up imo, so delighted with three points.

mayordenis wrote: »
    arteta sending off was ridiculous, never a red not a foul for me

Elbow red imo, although yes Cesc made a bit too much out of it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

was hardly an elbow, if i was on the end of one of those "elbows" in a match i'd be embarressed if the other player was sent off. fabregas or any player who acts like that should later be repramanded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They are mates too I think..

mayordenis wrote: »
    was hardly an elbow, if i was on the end of one of those "elbows" in a match i'd be embarressed if the other player was sent off. fabregas or any player who acts like that should later be repramanded.

The the FA will be very very very busy, I hate the play acting but it seems to be part of the game now,

Having seen a replay,doesn't look like an elbow,swing of arm, but hae seen plenty of players get a red for it, and a great many get no card.

So same old lack of consistency again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good but a strange day of football.

West Ham deserved the result. Arsenal were poor but ground out the result. Great 2nd half from then. Hopefully they wont have another 1st half like that again though.

Bendtender was stupid to put in a tackle like that and he is a lucky boy it didnt cost them points.
    Cesc made a bit much of the elbow but it was a deliberate use of the arm so he must go. Sure the game was over then sure. Cesc had a poor game though. Not the same since he came back from injury. He may need a week or 2 off.

Arsenal need Van Persie back NOW!
    Edurdo shows what a great finisher he is but needs to add to his game. I think we will show what a player he is next season. Also would like Diarra to start games.

2 points clear going into new years, cant complain really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Watched the goals in the Spurs game, I had just watched League of Gentlemen - Apocalypse and I'm not sure which was madder. Ramos must be thinking about a whole new back line and keeper.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Oh my God, I think it was Tony Gubba who just there attempted to blame Shay Given for Newcastles goals conceded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

McShane at fault for Boltons goal. What a donkey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Really, ya don't think that the keeper should have made an effort there ?

I think it was the McShane lads fault...get back to Greystones!!!

Have no doubt that McShane missed the header but I really do think that the keeoer should have at least moved, the ball was over him, he tried for it and missed, a keeper should be anticipating a simple thing like a missed header.

a keeper should be anticipating a simple thing like a missed header.

I agree. The goalie should have definetly anticipated McShane f-ing it up.

I would imagine there would not have been too many keepers in similar situations who would not have at least gone over to cover that one. I still cannot see how he fncked it up, I thought he made an effort for the ball ad did not get to it. It happens believe it or not.

Do not insult Gordon...he is infallible.

• Advertisement

He is very certainly fallible. Have ou been watching Sunderland at all ?

9 mill does not make one infallible, just expensive.

Given is proof quality counts for little in a sh-i-te team though.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I am surprised that Given has never been approached by one of the top four clubs throughout his career.At one time or another they all needed a decent keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Looked to me like McShane was pushed by a Bolton player (Nolan / Davies?).

Useless fecker. Letting himself get pushed in the back, send him back to Greystones.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Technically, he's from Kilpedder (and played for Greystones Utd) :)

Thought Gordon could've done better as well.

Yes he is from Kilpedder but he played for Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The slagging Paul McShane gets for absolutely nothing is really starting to annoy me.

From the BBC:
    http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2732/shaneks7.jpg

What a load of rubbish. The ball didn't touch his hand or any part of his body. He got a bit of a shove when he jumped for the ball. One of the strongest parts of McShane's game is his timing for headers. Already fantastic in that department.

Anyway, apparently he was excellent today overall. No surprise considering he was up against Davies. He's superb against the big target men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

jank wrote: »
    Edurdo shows what a great finisher he is but needs to add to his game. I think we will show what a player he is next season.

I tell ya, he is going to be some scary player next year. I think he's been adjusting, but his quality is undoubted. You know the way Arsenal try to pass the ball into the back of the net and it's annoying, he passes the ball into the back of the net all the time. Immense finisher.

Derby - Blackburn. On paper should be the away sides, Derby 8 injuries and Rovers have McCarthy/Cruz leading the line.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Derby 1-0 up after 33 minutes, with Oakley getting the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Blackburn now 2-1 up through Santa Cruz and Bentley; both goals coming after Howard saw his penalty saved by Friedel.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

half time and 1-2 to blackburn . . derby just have no belief or resilience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just watched the goals from Spurs match... shocking defending from both teams...

Why are Harold Redknapps boys still doing so bad at home? I thought he was a wily character? Surely after 23 years and 6 blanks in a row that counter attacking at home when the opposition isn't coming at you doesn't work?

• Advertisement

Blackburn are pants.

Stephen Ireland off, Liverpool quietly in the assendency, can they make it pay?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

both sides are fairly poor, liverpool slightly less poor than city. liverpool have had all the play and all the chances but have done nothing with any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Torres has been poor. he seems to be half heartedly going at players and happy to get tackled and fall over.

Should Dunne even be on the pitch still?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Over the line? ;)

Pacifico wrote: »
    Over the line? ;)

Yeah the 6 yard line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

This has been an awful game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

:D

Yeah it clearly wasn't, they should have scored though

FFS why didnt Babel just hit that from the edge intstead of tryignto run the whole way in and faliing over.

• Advertisement

Bore draw. City played for the draw. Got it. Liverpool couldnt break them down.

Meh. Two conservative mentalities draw a blank.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another stunning performance from Richard Dunne. He was simply phenominal. Likewise Didi again. We deserved a draw, nothing more, nothing less. Nice sportsmanship from Torres to storm straight down the tunnel at the whistle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Looks like that title challenge will have to wait till next year

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Another stunning performance from Richard Dunne. He was simply phenominal. Likewise Didi again. We deserved a draw, nothing more, nothing less. Nice sportsmanship from Torres to storm straight down the tunnel at the whistle.

Dunne and Carragher were immense today.

Neither side wanted to loose this and so they did'nt.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Richards superb also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dunne was really amazing. Carragher and Arbeloa did well, but they only had one to deal with. Dunne really was immense.

The commentator summed it up I think. On the matchday where the champions and league leaders lost, Arsenal won, Chelsea won just, Liverpool drew.

And the whole thing starts again on Tuesday :(

Mike.

PHB wrote: »
    The commentator summed it up I think. On the matchday where the champions and league leaders lost, Arsenal won, Chelsea won just, Liverpool drew.

Good weekend :) now if Birmingham can get a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

maybe he needed a piss!

• Advertisement
Advertisement