Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrongly Priced

Options
  • 28-12-2007 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

I was in Smyths toy store a few days before Christmas - there was a Dora book priced €3.99 - it was stuck on the front in a big yellow sticker, i went to the till to pay (i had other items with me) and after i looked at the reciept i realised i was charged €13.99. I took the book out and the sticker said €3.99

I went to the counter to request a refund and i was told no their was no problem with the book - and a child or other customer wrongly stuck this price label on.

I was really annoyed by now so i asked for a manager - i finally got a refund but was told it was a gesture of good will.

Later that evening i went back in for something i had forgotten earlier, i walked by the book section and ALL the books where priced €3.99

Should i have been offered a refund? Surely if thats the price they display that should be the purchase price???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you should of acted on this when you noticed you got the incorrect change at the till, once you walked away the transaction was complete.

the shop did not have to offer you anything in the way of a refund/store credit and by them doing so it was a gesture of goodwill.

when you went back later who's to say a kid didn't place 3.99 stickers on all of them? or even a employee, because at the end of the day it's the price that the item is scanned at is the price you have to pay if you want the item. also the price could have changed since you left and returned to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Report the store to the National Consumer Agency. It's an offence to display the incorrect price of a good.
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/Prices/Misleading%20prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Seriously (to 2nd poster)? It is the price that is scanned that is paid (and so the official price) and not what is on the label? What if you got home from Tesco after a big shop and noticed you had been overcharged on one item by a tenner? Would your brain be expected to work out the price of all your purchases and realise this at the time of the transaction? AFAIK, many stores would have given the OP the book for €3.99 since they, and not the purchaser made the mistake by not pointing out the error on the price tag at the time of purchase.

fair enough if you don't notice after a big shop where you may have like >10 items.

this was one item with 10euros in the difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

traceybere wrote: »
    Later that evening i went back in for something i had forgotten earlier, i walked by the book section and ALL the books where priced €3.99
    That's just careless on the store's side. Granted, the first time they're told about a misprice it can, legally, be classified as a simple pricing mistake which they're not obliged to honour. But once they're made aware of it they HAVE TO rectify the incorrect pricing as soon as possible, otherwise they're INTENTIONALLY misleading, which is the illegal bit.

To not give a refund on a pricing mistake is just being needlessly stubborn.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Cremo wrote: »
    fair enough if you don't notice after a big shop where you may have like >10 items.

this was one item with 10euros in the difference in price.

The OP said (s)he had multiple items

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

daiixi wrote: »
    Report the store to the National Consumer Agency. It's an offence to display the incorrect price of a good.

AFAIK, it's only an offence to knowingly display the incorrect price.
    It may have been a genuine mistake.

The OP said (s)he had multiple items
    sorry, that part of the OP's post eluded me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

daiixi wrote: »

not true! only if they are knowingly doing it to try catch people out. If it is a genuine mistake on a price,they don't even have to give you the item for the lower price. A price tag is "an invitation to treat". As long as they inform you of the correct price at the till and give you the option to pay the extra or not purchase the item,then it is not an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

tvnutz wrote: »
    not true! only if they are knowingly doing it to try catch people out. If it is a genuine mistake on a price,they don't even have to give you the item for the lower price. A price tag is "an invitation to treat". As long as they inform you of the correct price at the till and give you the option to pay the extra or not purchase the item,then it is not an offence.
    Policy with Smyths is that if any item has a wrong price sticker on it and the price on it is lower than what comes up on the till you have to get it at the lower price if you say it to the person on the till. It is then up to the person on the till to inform the floor staff of the wrongly priced item and for them to correct it.
    Prices shouldn't be wrong as there are price change emails sent out every day and are suppose to be checked by the floor supervisors first thing every morning and they then give them out to the aisle staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Policy with Smyths is that if any item has a wrong price sticker on it and the price on it is lower than what comes up on the till you have to get it at the lower price if you say it to the person on the till. It is then up to the person on the till to inform the floor staff of the wrongly priced item and for them to correct it.
    Prices shouldn't be wrong as there are price change emails sent out every day and are suppose to be checked by the floor supervisors first thing every morning and they then give them out to the aisle staff.

That is their own policy,but they are not legally obliged to give the customer the item at the wrong price,as many customers think thy are entitled to.

And I work in a retail store,it is very easy for things to be mis-priced.there are thousands of covers and customers dump them all over the shop so odds are that things will be wrongly priced despite best efforts to ensure it does not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Once the OP told the manager that the price displayed was wrong then he/she should have checked the price displayed. Failure to do so is completely irresponsible and I'd complain.

Advertisement