Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thunderstorms

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

A couple of strikes out near Clare/Galway/N Tipp and Offaly areas movind inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

just having thunderstorms here in west kerry, power went out once, the lights flickering like crazy. looks like a world war outside with all the flashes! haven't seen one like this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

average TStorm just passed overhead, must have lost power. Heading due east. Nice visible front though.

VALENTIA W 28 Gust 48 SLEET/THUNDER 8 79 4.4 992

as reported from met.ie site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

just having thunderstorms here in west kerry, power went out once, the lights flickering like crazy. looks like a world war outside with all the flashes! haven't seen one like this before.

I was following a various lightening detectors on the web. There was activity all over the country starting around 0500hrs moving eastwards. Most in the southern half on the country...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Thunderstorm in Cork Harbour at the moment. Not too much rain falling just yet but plenty of thunder claps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

homah_7ft wrote: »
    Thunderstorm in Cork Harbour at the moment. Not too much rain falling just yet but plenty of thunder claps.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_ibWMZM5YBRo/R48lFg8dlwI/AAAAAAAAA7U/FKqBjnKIroU/s1600-h/l170108.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yeah, there was a lot of thunder and lightning over most parts of mid and south Kerry this morning. It was the most active and intense thunderstorm that i have seen in a long time, and the rain was also very heavy. There was a lot of homes in the Killarney region that were without power as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Snowbie wrote: »
    VALENTIA W 28 Gust 48 SLEET/THUNDER 8 79 4.4 992

as reported from met.ie site.

Sleet at 8c :eek: That must have been some down draught...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just noticed some intense echoes on teh 6.30pm radar heading S from Derry/Belfast, possible squall....when I checked Snowbies detector for activity, it reckons there's been some strikes in W Dublin (?).

Yep, right heavy squall in Dundalk now. Strets are flooded again.

• Advertisement

Missed that one Wertz,by looking at the graph it seems it was very local interference. My detector goes nuts when a generator is turned on,neighbour has blocked water main and there is lads diggin up his back garden using lights powered from the gen.

Ah, that could it explain it. Should have copped it...was just looking for activity in the line moving toward me and saw "strikes" where I didn't expect.
    Anyway, squall finally moved on...really heavy drizzle and swirling gusts. Turned a good bit colder outside since it passed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Is this a squall or another cold front similar to the one 2 weeks ago that brought the dramatic temp change?

Looks exactly similar to me!
    Post up a sat pic link there for to see if theres any CB in it.
    There probably are.

We will soon find out trogdor. Usually a very active cold front or squall line would be narrower and more defined but it does seem to be intensifying as it moves east with the warm air being advected. I have recorded only a few sporadic strikes from this atm.

Looks exactly similar to me!
    Post up a sat pic link there for to see if theres any CB in it.
    There probably are.

The quality isn't great, but here are the 14:45 and 15:15 sat pics
    The temperatures don't seem to be falling out West time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

about 15 mins till the battrey on my lap top runs out.:(

Sitting down to a nice cup of coffee ......next thing bang..there goes the power, all over this part of the island too.

Obviously it very stormy but i never thought it was that bad. The bang was very very loud indeed.

So to all you people in "power land" this candle holding culchie is off to bed very shortly. Hope it's back on in the morning!!

Cast your mind back to last "summer"
    19th July 2007 to be exact. Mountrath was the place in County Laois.

Story from local paper: http://www.laois-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=cwgbeyeyoj

Radar: http://www.meteox.com/hist.aspx?URL change date to 19.07.2007 - 18:45 CET.

I remember seeing this storm from Portlaoise. It was AMAZING! Constant flashing of fork lightning. Like something you'd expect to see on the plains in the USA. I pitied anyone who was under it, as the newspaper report confirmed.

Eircom were busy for weeks afterwards as many phones had blown from the lightning intensity.

Looking at the charts, there could be a few storms in the West and South of the country and possibly more widespread tomorrow I think. Although I can't see any forecasts out for any so I'm probably just reading something wrong:o

• Advertisement

Actually, just noticed, there's a torro convective discussion out
    http://www.torro.org.uk/torro/forecast/index.php
    Torro wrote:
    Late tonight and tomorrow (Tuesday) brings the risk of organised severe thunderstorms for parts of Eire, England and Wales, as unstable rPm airmass will be in place, along with a low CAPE/high shear environment. This brings the chance of supercells.

Sort and sweet but vicious thunderstorm here for the last 15 minutes. Loads of hail, place is white! Significant 5c drop aswell. Will try to post photos later on.

BB went down here for awhile so detector not uploading to website but i got a good few strikes down your way Danno and according to the radar it is loping my way.

So I've noticed - I looked at the map and thought - OMG Where's that storm gone!!! :D

The sun has come out and all! Looks like a second leg of it is pushing in now...

Black sky all round from West to East! Temps down from 10.8c to 4.8c Some drop.

Hail is thawing out.

What program would I use to shrink the AVI video file from 20Mb to something more suitable to upload???

Very intense sleety rain the whole way from M1 great northern hotel to Dundalk...saw what looked like either a small wall cloud or a funnel, out to the east while we were passing the turn off for Balbriggan...took some phone pics but they're blurred from rain on windscreen. Looking at the radar from round that time, there's some intense clouds about. No thunder though...

@Danno....try http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Reduces it to 10mb or there abouts! Will upload anyways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Danno wrote: »
    Reduces it to 10mb or there abouts! Will upload anyways!

Looking forward to vid. Sweet f.a here today. One lousy distant grumble at 3pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Danno wrote: »
    What program would I use to shrink the AVI video file from 20Mb to something more suitable to upload???

http://www.erightsoft.biz/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

pm me your email & i'll give you a template.

• Advertisement

No joy - the 14.2mb file will not upload :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement