Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottery Scam Letters

Options
  • 28-12-2007 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Warning!

This type of scam does the rounds now & again, I have friends in the UK who have received the same letter - looks like the crooks are targeting Ireland now.

I have received a letter from DIVINE SEGUROS COMPANY S.A informing me that I have won almost 734 thousand euro on the Spanish Lotto.

The letter claims of a "mix up" with some of the winners names & numbers hence the request for my bank details :rolleyes:

I don't know what raised my suspicions first…..maybe it was the fact that I haven’t been to Spain in 13 years or that I have never bought a ticket for the Spanish Lotto……..but after a quick check on the interwebby confirmed that this is a South African scam with a two pronged assault on your hard earned cash,

1) To get your bank details from you to be used for God knows what future scam.
    2) You also have to pay an “administration” fee of around 1300 euro.

The letter has a few phone numbers & fax numbers on it and a photocopy of a stamp from the MINISTERIO DE HACIENDA and in this case, all roads lead to some grubby little office in Cape Town.

So, keep on your toes and if you receive one of these letters just shred it immediately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Fact of the matter is though, while there are still people falling for this scam this will still go on...... Personally I have only recieved one of these letters but on the plus side I'm winning about 5 million a week if my email account is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭JohnC.

This one is so famous it made it into the recent Futurama movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

People who fall for this rubbish deserve to be robbed.I applaud the scammers on this one.Keep up the good work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Old scam at this stage.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement