Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Screeching sort of noise coming from front of car?

Options
  • 28-12-2007 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Noticed a metallic kind of screeching noise coming from the front of the car while driving.

It's not a constant noise, at times i can't hear it but when cornering you can hear it again. Also when it happens if i so much as touch the brake pedal it stops.

I'm assuming it's the brake pads? How much more driving can i do?

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could also be that your brake caliper is stuck and doesn't retract fully any more. That way, one of the brake pads is constantly "braking" ever so slightly.

Trouble with that is, that the whole affair does get rather hot after a while which could lead to brakes malfunctioning in a critical moment.

Get it looked at as soon as you can and avoid driving until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

I may be completely wrong here, but I'm nearly sure I was told in the past that that kind of occasional screeching/whining noise can also be a sign of a belt about to go; timing/fan/whatever.

I agree with getting it checked out as soon as you can though, and don't go bombing down any roads until it's sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Screeching belts don't stop when you touch the brakes, though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

More than likely the brake pads are getting low and the warning tab is making the noise, best to book in to get the pads changed asap.
    The noise usually starts when there is 3mm or so of material left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

:mad: and i have to drive the car back to Cavan from Dublin tomorrow :(

It's only a lowish screeching, not to noticeable when driving. I'll take it easy on the way home and to Cavan tomorrow.

EDIT: 3mm and how long for it to get down to 0mm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

jozi wrote: »
    :mad: and i have to drive the car back to Cavan from Dublin tomorrow :(

It's only a lowish screeching, not to noticeable when driving. I'll take it easy on the way home and to Cavan tomorrow.

EDIT: 3mm and how long for it to get down to 0mm?
    Turn the radio up louder so you cant hear it :D
    You should try and check the brake pads yourself before you go back to cavan though. Just take the wheel off and have a look around to see if you can see a problem.

BFassassin wrote: »
    Turn the radio up louder so you cant hear it :D
    You should try and check the brake pads yourself before you go back to cavan though. Just take the wheel off and have a look around to see if you can see a problem.

I'll give that a go now, how can i see if the pads are worn down? Does it wear the disc differently? Can i see the pads in the caliper easily?

Meant to add,

Driving home earlier, the noise was not constant. Appears and disappears as i drive (when not using the brake) and the noise isnt a constant screetch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

If it's a screeching noise, I'd guess it's the fan belt. If it's more like a metallic rubbing (almost a rumbling noise) then I'd guess it's the brake pads. The wetter it is, the more the fan belt will screech, too.

blastman wrote: »
    If it's a screeching noise, I'd guess it's the fan belt. If it's more like a metallic rubbing (almost a rumbling noise) then I'd guess it's the brake pads. The wetter it is, the more the fan belt will screech, too.

Ah no it's defo not the screeching of a fan belt, it's more metallic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

CJhaughey wrote: »
    More than likely the brake pads are getting low and the warning tab is making the noise, best to book in to get the pads changed asap.
    That's my guess too. The noise often disappears when turning one way instead of the other.

Advertisement