Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum N' Bass in Galway

Options
  • 28-12-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering do any venues in Galway play Drum N' Bass? I remember that upstairs in An Pucan used to but it's been a few years since I was there and I can't remember what night it was and I've no idea if it's still going on. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

There are regular drum'n'bass nights in Aras na nGael on Dominick street. Mostly on Thursday nights I think but I'm not sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That was fast! Thanks cornbb, I'll followup on that and see what the story is with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Wheres Aras na nGael exactly? :)

On Lower Dominick St, across the street from Subway and then maybe 5-10 doors down. Its off a courtyard which is behind big arched wooden doors, you'll see loads of posters on these doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

yeah http://www.myspace.com/arusnadub is the one you after.

Theres some older jungle but mostly dubstep.

Its on every second Thursday I think
    Theres a good crowd most weeks and its free.

• Advertisement

yeah http://www.myspace.com/arusnadub is the one you after.

Theres some older jungle but mostly dubstep.

Its on every second Thursday I think
    Theres a good crowd most weeks and its free.
    Here's where I get confused with the different styles. Apologies if this is a stupid question but are Jungle, Dub Step and Drum N' Bass not different things? :confused:

jungle is what d'nb used to be called in the early 90s when .

After alot of bad press in the UK,alot of producers tryed to move away from the criminal and gang association.So it lost alot of the dark reggae influence and gained the drum and bass tag.But sure its all the one.

If you like dnb you'll like dubstep,its along the same lines as its all about the bass.

heres a short mix from one night ,it needs to be played loud
    > http://www.mediafire.com/?7d1x0lgjmnt

its on tonight from eight

its on tonight from eight
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm still in work :mad: but hopefully I can get in for a look.

Well I braved the cold last night and popped in with some friends for an hour or so. Unfortunately the place was empty bar us, maybe four others, the DJ and the barman. Still though, the music was pretty interesting and the barman was full of chat. They also supplied free tea and a nice warm fire so I will definitely be back :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

cornbb wrote: »
    There are regular drum'n'bass nights in Aras na nGael on Dominick street. Mostly on Thursday nights I think but I'm not sure about that.

Not sure if it's the same crowd or not but there is a DubStep night on every second Thursday these days. Does anyone know which thursday it'll be on next? They don't seem to have a web page or be listed in any of the event guides.

The Thursday after next, if its on every second Thurs like cheesdude says.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Cheers! (I hadn't read those posts :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Theres drum and bass on on Fridays in Arus isn't there? There definitely was last Friday and it was really busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 nisio123

was just looking up dnb galway in google and found your post - used to do a night called recipe, just got back from canada and all going well will be putting on another night on thursday 31st of january - ragga jungle and then dnb, kinda excited about it all. still the same place, upstairs in the pucan.
    :)

nisio123 wrote: »
    was just looking up dnb galway in google and found your post - used to do a night called recipe, just got back from canada and all going well will be putting on another night on thursday 31st of january - ragga jungle and then dnb, kinda excited about it all. still the same place, upstairs in the pucan.
    :)
    Oh yeah, there it is, top of the list :). Have you any information on admission cost yet? I would definitely be interested in going and I'm sure I could drag a few people with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

Heard in da grape vine d n b night in da pucan 31st this month...

mr biazzi wrote: »
    Heard in da grape vine d n b night in da pucan 31st this month...
    Can we get that in English please? Anyway, is that not the same event that nisio123 mentioned two posts above yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

yea thats the same event, didnt read all the replys
    sillly me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/genres/dance/aod.shtml?radio1/essmix#
    Amazing...

not into drum and bass, but if some place in galway played that kind of music, I'd give it a gander... sick and tired of the same old **** played in most of the nite clubs (rarely hearing club music in any of them... all the same old DJ's sticking to the same ****)

Sniipe wrote: »
    sick and tired of the same old **** played in most of the nite clubs (rarely hearing club music in any of them... all the same old DJ's sticking to the same ****)
    :confused: Maybe I'm mis-understanding your terminology but how can you be in a night club and not be hearing club music? What is club music?
    I totally agree with what you're saying about DJs playing the same music in each club though. On the rare occasions I grace any of the night clubs in Galway with my presence it always seems to be the same music that's played regardless of venue.
    I have to commend Aras na Gael again for an entertaining night on Friday last. The place was jammed but there seemed to be a nice happy vibe about the place. Although that might have all been in my head ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I've been to Aras na Geal once before it was mad stuff.
    club music... in a nite club elsewhere one might hear electronic dance music ... thats how I would define it... not "the galway girl" or chart pop... anytime they do delve into club music, which is rare in Halo (unfortunately its where we normally end up...), we hear electronic music from 1999... which is grand but dated...

in regards to the dubstep
    getlow1.jpg
    After a great final night in the Arus,Fridays the night we settle into our new home (and new name) in the celler.

Its been two great nights in there so far with SiSi rimming a Galway urlar rince on a Saturday night once again.
    And packed 'house' for the Disconauts last Saturday.

Its our turn on Friday and we nearly broke our backs getting them bassbins down the stairs so lets make it three great nights in a row in the new home of all things good in Galway.

Doors:10pm-2:30
    Tax: 5 sheets
    Dresscode: Dancing shoes please

Coming up: Colz (alphabet set/Reach)

http://www.myspace.com/getlowdubs

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

malice_ wrote: »
    :confused: Maybe I'm mis-understanding your terminology but how can you be in a night club and not be hearing club music? What is club music?
    I totally agree with what you're saying about DJs playing the same music in each club though. On the rare occasions I grace any of the night clubs in Galway with my presence it always seems to be the same music that's played regardless of venue.
    I have to commend Aras na Gael again for an entertaining night on Friday last. The place was jammed but there seemed to be a nice happy vibe about the place. Although that might have all been in my head ;).

I got barred the last time I mentioned Stress!! since I run it :( but I've got to say something here. We're here too!! We play different music!! We had our first anniversary there on Friday and it was just mental. We had a guy called DJ Trash to finish playing wicked world music, ska, funk, rockabilly... find someone who was there and let them tell you how absolutely nuts that dancefloor was. It's not a DJ all night - it's live music for the first 2/3rds then DJ, or sometimes live music all the way, but it's always at least three acts and it's always original. Styles wildly, wildly, wildly vary, but the acts listed on the myspace would give you an idea of the stuff. We don't have drum and bass very often but we will have at least one drum and bass gig soon,in Feb I think.

www.myspace.com/stressahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

If you like dnb you'll like dubstep

dubstep... you k-holed lunatics. I love dnb and have yet to find any dubstep I like.

Rumour has it de burgo's have to stop playing after 12.30 due to noise complaints?

Serious lack of venues in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Was in the cellar saturday week ago - and was really good night. Music was experimental enough to be interesting and hip enough to dance. Nice crowd too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I like dnb but never really got into dubstep. I like Boxcutter, Burial and some others but anything else I've heard wasnt great.

Where/when are the dnb nights these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

There's a night in An Púcán on Saturday 31st.

• Advertisement

steve 0 wrote: »
    There's a night in An Púcán on Saturday 31st.

Urgh I don't like An Púcán. Its dingy as hell (and not in a good way like some of the pubs in galway) and the pints there taste like something that came from satan's ass. And I think the Aras has really gone downhill too. Did someone mention something about some decent music in the Cellar?

Advertisement