Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fulham appoint Roy Hodgson as Manager

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bollocks anyway. Stupid FAI gimps should have snapped him up weeks ago. Bet he does very nicely with them too.

Ah well we have Terry Vegetables to look forward too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hodgson was never coming to the Irish Manager position. He is too good for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote: »
    We're better than all the countries he's managed previously to be fair. I'd say we could have got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

My Gaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwd.............

The FAI are nothing but a pack of f**king NUMPTIES!!!!!!!!

El Tel as Irish manager...............NO THANKS!!!??

I think I'll support the Iraqi soccer team instead............

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow, good move. He'll save them.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Balls.

I disagree with this kind of talk. Obviously there are people that are 'too good' for the job, like Mourinho and Capello etc, but it doesn't mean that we're destined to have someone like Venables. If more ambition was shown we could have a really decent manager like Hodgson.

Besides, if he's too good for the Ireland job, where does that put Finland? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Didn't he hint that he was interested in the job on Sky Sports News? We're one position above Finland in the rankings too I believe so I don't buy that he was too good for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Why did we need a 3 man committee when there is about 1 choice left.

Yes that's right, El Tel :mad:

Balls.

I disagree with this kind of talk. Obviously there are people that are 'too good' for the job, like Mourinho and Capello etc, but it doesn't mean that we're destined to have someone like Venables. If more ambition was shown we could have a really decent manager like Hodgson.

Besides, if he's too good for the Ireland job, where does that put Finland? :confused:

Maybe he got a better pay packet from the Finnish FA??? Delaney and his cronies like to do things on the cheap, dont they............?

They're gonna have to get someone really good after the "Stan" debacle.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

PHB- iirc he made his interest known, no?

Arie Haan is off to Albania. Troussier has taken a Japanese team.

ffs I wish someone would give Tel a job, it means we can stop worrying the FAI might hire hm.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    We're better than all the countries he's managed previously to be fair. I'd say we could have got him.

Those associations had the foresight to pick him out as a good manager before he gained his reputation. The FAI didn't.

Any manager given the choice between a premiership job or the Irish manager position, every manager is gona pick the premiership.

Any manager given the choice between a premiership job or the Irish manager position, every manager is gona pick the premiership.

But were there any Prem jobs available when Stan was sacked?

No, but everyone knew he was of the quality, and everyone knew lots of managers were gona get sacked this season.

True, you only need to look at how Scotland lost 2 managers recently to clubs. International football isn't that high on managers agendas

Unearthly wrote: »
    True, you only need to look at how Scotland lost 2 managers recently to clubs. International football isn't that high on managers agendas

I agree. The agents go after the jobs/clubs that are going to pay their clients the most money.

Sadly, that's what football(and a lot of other "sports") has become..........a money making exercise.

All the "badge kissing" and proclamations(sp?) about how much they love their club is bulls**t!!!!

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

mike65 wrote: »
    He'll save them.
    I wouldn't be so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Oh, and all that talk of Hodgson for Ireland boss was nonsense. He made it clear several times that the FAI never approached him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7117572.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Oh, and all that talk of Hodgson for Ireland boss was nonsense. He made it clear several times that the FAI never approached him.
    That's the problem...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7117572.stm

That is kind of the point. They should of made contact.

I wonder would the FA's old buddy Phil Scolari want the Irish job.....???

;)

• Advertisement

That's the problem...

Exactly. People can say that he might have waited for a Premiership job, who knows what he would've done, but the point is he wasn't approached in the first place. As someone else mentioned, Troussier has taken a club job in Japan, I remember him publicly stating his interest in the Irish job as soon as it became available. All this pissing around with committees is a joke, and it's time wasted while other associations show the ambition to go out and get their men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

WOW! Excellent signing! Hodgson was never even on my radar for the new manager job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

agreed with above. The committee idea had the benefit that it removed the FAI fools (Delaney) from directly picking the next boss but its dragging on far too long.

I think Hodgson will work out for Fulham, he has taken medicore sides before and made them do alright, they might just stay up.

Looks like it'll be El Tel then......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think I'll support the Iraqi soccer team instead............
    I actually have an Iraqi jersey so it might be an option. :(

Looks like Delaney's masterplan to distance himself from the selection of the new manager is starting to backfire.

The firing and hiring of managers these days is done so quickly that faffing around with selection committees and the like is just an exercise in time wasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Too good for Ireland but not for Fulham?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Those associations had the foresight to pick him out as a good manager before he gained his reputation. The FAI didn't.

I think it depends which club. Im sure most managers would rather take Ireland than the likes of Derby, Sunderland etc etc (although at least they always have the fall back of being a top performing championship team). Personally Id sooner take Ireland than Fulham if I were a foreign manager, and Roy probably just got tired of the FAI messing around (I presume the FAI are on their Christmas break. Seemingly Fulham and the Albanian FA dont do the christmas break and actually pull the finger out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

shane86 wrote: »
    Im sure most managers would rather take Ireland than the likes of Derby, Sunderland etc etc
    Paul Jewell wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

But as soon as a Premiership club comes knocking, its a no contest, he wouldn't come to you then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I wonder would the FA's old buddy Phil Scolari want the Irish job.....???

;)

Absolutely no chance, like saying I wonder if Wenger would like the Derby county job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

news just in - wenger joins derby

Advertisement