Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rev Count too high in 5th gear?

Options
  • 28-12-2007 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi

The Rev Count on my Peugeot (1.1L lx 206 2001 model) goes above 5000 revs when I hit about 100K/h. Is this too high? I dont seem to have any problems in other gears

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

For any given speed, the revs should be lower in fifth than in fourth.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It maybe:

1/. Dodgy rev counter
    2/. Slipping clutch

RPM at 100km/h shoud be nearer 300 in top gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

It maybe:

1/. Dodgy rev counter
    2/. Slipping clutch

RPM at 100km/h shoud be nearer 300 in top gear.

I think you mean 3000rpm henry ford?

Yeah 5000 is too high difinitly. I dont think the rev counter is dodgy as its fine in other gears. Would be thinking the clutch too but if the clutch was going you would be feeling it more at the lower gears usually.

May be the gearbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭The Hacker

It is only a 1.1 litre engine though, I've never driven a 1.1 litre car but I'd imagine the revs would naturally be higher at 100km/h than say a 2.0 litre. I drive a 1.4 litre and the revs are around 2700 at 100km/h rising to 3000 at 120km/h. OP - is this a recent thing or has the car always been hitting 5000 at those speeds? I'd be more worried if it was the former.

The Hacker wrote: »
    It is only a 1.1 litre engine though, I've never driven a 1.1 litre car but I'd imagine the revs would naturally be higher at 100km/h than say a 2.0 litre. I drive a 1.4 litre and the revs are around 2700 at 100km/h rising to 3000 at 120km/h. OP - is this a recent thing or has the car always been hitting 5000 at those speeds? I'd be more worried if it was the former.

Have driven a few smaller cars like this and about 3000 rpm is normal at 100 kph. 3400 rpm and that speed would be the most really it would go.

Most normal cars have the gears set up to hit between 2500-3500 rpm at 100 kph

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My Integra had a close ratio gearbox that would do 4800rpm at 120km/h. Your's def should not be doing 5000 at 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sounds more like you're in 3rd gear. It is possible that something is wrong with your gear selector adjustment and you are selecting 3rd when the box should be selecting 5th.

What does the rev counter display at 100km/h when you are in fourth.....?

EDIT: And what does it display when you are in third at 100km/h or 5k RPM?

crosstownk wrote: »
    Sounds more like you're in 3rd gear.
    Or a rebuilt gearbox with 3rd also where 5th should be.

Will be interesting if DRice shows up again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Are you using tyres to the original spec? (in terms of size, width and profile)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

On our 2004 1.1lx 206 5th gear revs at about 3000. You shouldnt be anywhere near 5000 in 5th. At 100Km/hr that is of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Thanks everybody I'll check out tomorrow what happens in fourth gear and third gear at the same speeds. Truth is I've only just got the confidence now to go on the motorway so even though I've been driving the car since July its only really now in December that I am hitting 100k/h - never really noticed anything at lower speeds - but by guess is its always been like that
    I like the theory that i dont actually have a fifth gear, I prob have 2 third gears,...will let ye know tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

This is interesting.

Agree with everyone its running to high.

Does the engine sound like its running very very hard. If I run my astra to 5k rpm in fifth I hit hear 90mph. GF has a 1.2 Astra same gearing ratios I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 CoffeeAndTV

Are you sure you arent accidently changing into 3rd?

Are you sure you don't have a 4 speed gearbox, and a 5 speed gearknob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Surely a 206 doesn't have only a 4 speed box? Even the 106 had gained a 5 speed box in 1994, and the 206 didn't arrive on the scene till 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

JHMEG wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't have a 4 speed gearbox, and a 5 speed gearknob?

I don't know of any manual car other than the mini, produced after 1992 that had a 4 speed box. The 206 definitely didn't come in 4 speed manual, that's not to say there aren't any more.

It might not be a 206 gearbox that's in there?

ninty9er wrote: »
    I don't know of any manual car other than the mini, produced after 1992 that had a 4 speed box. The 206 definitely didn't come in 4 speed manual, that's not to say there aren't any more.

1995 toyota cynos/paseo. Had one and they had four speed gearboxes, and always had plenty of power at any speed you were at.

Wont go off topic there, I think there is something wrong definitly with the gear selector. When going from fouth to fifth there should be a drop in revs when you change. If not i would say there is definitly something wrong with the gear selector

Advertisement