Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portal wins Eurogamer game of the year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

What a crock to be honest, i played it a while ago on the PC, bored me to tears.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Well I guess you're entilted to your opinion.
    Marble Blast Ultra should be in there as well.
    edit: it should be if it were released in 2007, d'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Davei141 wrote: »
    What a crock to be honest, i played it a while ago on the PC, bored me to tears.

you have no soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm another for the meh camp. Got the orange box on pc. Played portal for a while but it got old fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

when will people realise that some group of journalists list doesn't make the list complete fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,606 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I'm afraid Eurogamer stopped being a reliable and judicious source of gaming opinion a long, long time ago :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The fact that FFXII is in there but no Eternal Sonata should go to show that these lists should be taken with a pince of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

A lot of the list is dodgy. Especially when you read their own comments which rarely seem to match up to the position at all. The same with a lot of the reviews - the text seems accurate but the score at the end is way off half the time, you have to wonder if they're doing some things just to be controversial or for worse reasons.

With that said, I do agree with Portal being number 1. Most refreshing game of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah i've drifted away from EG over the last year or so. metacritic seems to give the best indication of an accurate score.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,808 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For eurogamer the reviewers and contributers pick their top 5 (or 10) games of the year and they are awarded points accordingly. They are then placed on the amount of points they get with discussion on any ties. It's a different system and will of course lead to games that get nominated being detested by some of the staff since there is no negative marking if a reviewer really hates a particular game. It of course doesn't work all that well sometimes, how the hell else did the Darkness get on that list :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

eurogamer are **** - portal however is phenomenal.

Right at the end of Portal. Didn't realise there was a time limit for the final boss and ended up inhaling neve gas! will finish it now in a sec.
    My thoughts: Great game until she tries to escape at the end and the game loses its focus.
    I didn't need a guide for the 19 tests at all but went to gamefaqs during the escape as I just couldn't be bothered thinking anymore.
    Even though the ending is too long the game is probably too short for a Game of The Year.
    Will wait until the Wii is in stock again and buy Mario Galaxy soon.

Just noticed Rich Leadbetter is a eurogamer contributor. I remember him when I was 10 and he was writing for CVG and Nintendo Magazine System. Guy must be ancient at his stage!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

A well deserved win, but Mass Effect and Mario Galaxy were both superior games imo.
    Funnily enough, the only game in the top 10 that I haven't played yet is Zelda... think I need to stop buying so many games:p

Completed Portal. Burned through the first 3 advanced levels too.
    How does one start earning medals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just finishing Portal now as well, the last two levels go on forever!

4 out 6 advanced maps.
    Can't do the ****ing one with the Turrents in the cages. Arghh.
    Haven't tried the last one yet, either.
    Still trying to clear Marble Blast Ultra as well. 2 more to go!

Advertisement