Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What level of racism is tolerated on Boards.ie?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No, it might be factually wrong but it isn't racist, we aren't a race we're a nationality.

lol, sorry! quote of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

faceman wrote: »
    lol, sorry! quote of the month!

:confused: You think there are 193 different races of human beings?

Or just that the Irish are the biggest pissheads on the planet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Personally, I go with context. If you want to make a statement about a race, nationality, religion or gender, you should damn well be able to back it up.

Some folk thing that biggotry is all the tasty goodness of racism without any of that nasty social guilt.... not in my book.

DeVore wrote: »
    As much as I dont want to host a platform for racists to spew

Hey, you once told me at a beers you'd create a stormfront forum. I'm still waiting and hoping ;)
    Gandalf23 wrote: »
    According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "racism is a belief
    Who are you? Lionel Hutz?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

No, it might be factually wrong but it isn't racist, we aren't a race we're a nationality
    It wouldn't be a good idea to stick to such a simple definition of racism. The UN define it as:
    the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The thread in question was becoming a thread that was highlighting possible deficiencies in our current Government.

Ninty9er is an avowed member of the party which is the majority party in our Government and therefore must have felt under pressure and used the phrase "stoop to the French level of Intelligence" as a possible codeword for "vote as the Whip tells me" or " vote as intsructed by Mount Street".

His utterances should be viewed in this light.

It should also be noted that there is a general view that the French public is more coherent in its opposition to bad government and often support what would often be classed as sectoral interests in Ireland - they are perceived as having the view that ok the rail unions are striking but this could be me whereas the individualistic view perpetrated and encouraged by FF/PD is "why should we support them feckers..?"

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a good idea to stick to such a simple definition of racism. The UN define it as:

That's a good definition alright but ironically the term 'racism' is in itself slightly 'racist' as it subscribes to the notion of 'race'. As this is an entirely subjective and continually re-invented social construct, rather than a scientific one, I hope that one day the UN kicks it to the kerb. Personally I believe there is only once race of humans on this planet having different cultures and ethnicities. 'Race' as we know it, is the invention and 'justification' of the slavers. I'd like to see all that race baggage dropped in the dirt where it belongs before it gets do any more harm.

I tend to think of the reputation of the Irish as very heavy drinkers, as an ethnic slur........

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

That's a good definition alright but ironically the term 'racism' is in itself slightly 'racist' as it subscribes to the notion of 'race'. As this is an entirely subjective and continually re-invented social construct, rather than a scientific one, I hope that one day the UN kicks it to the kerb. Personally I believe there is only once race of humans on this planet having different cultures and ethnicities. 'Race' as we know it, is the invention and 'justification' of the slavers. I'd like to see all that race baggage dropped in the dirt where it belongs before it gets do any more harm.
    I do agree with you, but it would be pretty difficult for them to define racism without actually relying on using the definition of the social construct that is 'race'.
    I tend to think of the reputation of the Irish as very heavy drinkers, as an ethnic slur........
    The big big problem with seeing this as a slur of any kind, is that it's actually true (OECD study).

This is exactly why context as mentioned by Karoma is critical. It's a case sometimes not of what the poster said, but why they said it that defines if it's racist/bigotist/whatever-you-want-to-call-it-ist. Unless it's a blatant hate rant, or the poster has a history of posting similar things, it's not always an easy judgment call to make, hence the varying level of tolerance allowed across different forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just preface any statement with "I'm not racist, but..."

Works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Perhaps you should all take your debate on what 'racism' actually is over to the humanities forum?
    it just goes to show that everyone has a different opinion. Which is why I leave it to the mods to decide what they feel should be allowed, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I admire the French for their strong stance on bad government (the Spanish too (ref: the aftermath of the Madrid bombings)).
    We should be more like them when it comes to ousting governments.
    Posting on AH about how you think that Berite is a dick will not change a single thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just preface any statement with "I'm not racist, but..."

Works a treat.
    I'm not a racist but your breath smells.

Blowfish wrote: »
    The big big problem with seeing this as a slur of any kind, is that it's actually true (OECD study).

Hmmm so I see, but look at the French they're out in front of us and nobody is giving them the slagging we get. Also if you look at the historical stats from the OECD our rise to near the top of the table is a fairly recent one yet the reputation we have is hundreds of years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i believe people should be allowed to express whatever opinions they like as long as it is not directed personally at anyone on the site.

*disclaimer* i dont necessarily believe the below

i should be allowed to say "in general americans are fat lazy uneducated egotistical fools"

i shouldnt be allowed to say " *insert boards screenname here* you are obviously a fat lazy uneducated egotistical fool just like every other american"

maybe no1 else sees the difference in that but its just my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What level of sexism is allowed on the site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Thaedydal wrote: »

None of your business women!

*Runs and hides :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Thaedydal wrote: »

Pretty much anything goes outside of looking to incite violence against men in the home.

nesf wrote: »
    Pretty much anything goes outside of looking to incite violence against men in the home.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

SxE Punk wrote: »
    Example: In my experience, most Polish immigrants I have met are dismissive of the Irish natives and other immigrant communities, preferring to stick with their own and avoid integration at all costs.

Would that be considered racist or just a controversial personal opinion?

Fixed it for you so its personal opinion rather then racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm more curious about the OP point. If its academic reason then use humanities as WWMan said. If it is to determine what you can get away with your probably likely to be banned sometime soon. If it is you took offense at a post then report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm not racist, I just plain hate white people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Pretty much.

Would you be "over sensitive" if you were offended by a group of Germans saying the entire Irish nation were a bunch of drunken bigoted savages because of the riots at the love Ulster rally?

parsi wrote: »
    The thread in question was becoming a thread that was highlighting possible deficiencies in our current Government.

Ninty9er is an avowed member of the party which is the majority party in our Government and therefore must have felt under pressure and used the phrase "stoop to the French level of Intelligence" as a possible codeword for "vote as the Whip tells me" or " vote as intsructed by Mount Street".

His utterances should be viewed in this light.

I would disagree fairly strongly with this point of view. Its completely unacceptible to indulge in stupid, ill-informed, moronic, and insulting behaviour to defend or support a particular point of view.

If a person believes in something he should be able to articulate why and defend his position in some sort of informed, intelligent and respectful way without recourse to insult and ignorance.

There are a lot of interesting views and posts above on this.

My opinion is that racism depends on whether any malice is intended. I accept that we all say "racist" things through misinformation and ignorance and sometimes we offend people, regardless of colour or race or religion. Its racism when we intentionally say something (based on race) designed to offend. If there is no offence intented and there is no malice or spite behind what you are saying then its probably not racist. (However, the comment or action may still be "racist" according to legal definition).

I also think it is significant if a person makes a racist comment and is not prepared to be corrected if they are incorrect. It is blatently racist if someone makes judgements on another culture or race which come from deeply held beliefs about the inferiority of that culture, even when these beliefs are totally inaccurate and wrong.

How many Irish people here would have been offended if someone on Boards.de (if a German version of boards exists???!?) if someone had posted that the Irish have an inferior level of inteligence and are all drunken terrorists? I'm Irish and I would have been offended by that. Just think back to the storm over the German ambassadors comments about the Irish a few months ago. And he didnt say anything as strong as the comments that I'm complaining about.

/me read over thread and decides to report all the daft generalising threads and posts about women/men and irish women/men in AH for being sexist.

Would you be "over sensitive" if you were offended by a group of Germans saying the entire Irish nation were a bunch of drunken bigoted savages because of the riots at the love Ulster rally?

No, I don't get offended by such inane generalisations.

No, I don't get offended by such inane generalisations.

The point is that some people (probably a lot in fact ... ) would be very offended by such a statement. We have to realise that and respect the way people feel when they believe blatently racist and offensive comments are being made about them and their country.

From what I can see, you're just looking for something to complain about.

Come on over to AH and join in one of the many bitch-fests. I'm sure you wll be welcomed with open arms.

Edit: Ooh. I'm not a mod there any more. Yay.

Terry wrote: »
    Edit: Ooh. I'm not a mod there any more. Yay.

Banned for directing users around :p

The point is that some people (probably a lot in fact ... ) would be very offended by such a statement.

Personally I think people like that are being over sensitive and need to develop a thicker skin before venturing onto the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Just think back to the storm over the German ambassadors comments about the Irish a few months ago. And he didnt say anything as strong as the comments that I'm complaining about.
    In fairness though, that was just his public speaking style. Normally he'd say things like that to get the crowd interested before a Q&A session, but in this case there was no Q&A session (which he was not aware of), so he was taken more or less out of context.

I'm starting to get a bit suspicious about some of the posters rolling around these days though, one poster was making very middle of the road edging towards the right comments in the public forum, but when I pm'ed him he came back with a seriously racist remark. Stormfront agitators or just the zeitgeist? Time will tell I suppose...

• Advertisement

Banned for directing users around :p
    Damn. I knew all that tomfoolery would come back and bite me in the arse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement